Email from Purism, thank you Purism šŸ™‚

Still waiting here as well! Maybe the person hitting the Send button is in Hawaii. That would tack on another hour or two :grinning:

2 Likes

Ay, still waiting to hear from my old order too. At this point Iā€™d settle for an update and re-evaluation of previous statement. Iā€™m kinda missing the monthly development update but would also like to get a monthly or bi-weekly message about how production is going - just to know it is.

3 Likes

It seems production has started up again, though, or at least shipping has, as people are starting to post about receiving their phones. Probably just kicking into gear now.

10pm in Hawaii nowā€¦ 2 hours to go I guess haha

We will send a separate email later in September to each of you with a firm delivery date for your Librem 5 order.

Promises, promises
Sorry but after all these announcements, this is whatā€™s crossing my mind.

4 Likes

I just want to share that we have a good word in our language describing those who behave like Purism and canā€™t even make a single click within the promised terms: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/рŠ°ŃŠæŠøŠ·Š“яŠ¹

1 Like

Thank you Purism, my L5 arrived! Danke! Š”ŠæŠ°ŃŠøŠ±Š¾! Gracias!

10 Likes

Did you receive an email with this promise? I didnā€™t (for phone #2). If you didnā€™t receive said email presumably youā€™re not in the ā€˜each of youā€™.

Has not arrived yet for me.

Yes, I DID receive that email where I quoted from and thus I expected that second email in September.
Iā€™ve also send an email to Purism asking them if something went wrong, So far they havent responded.
Frustrating, very frustrating.

I would appreciate if they stick to their promise or donā€™t promise anything at all.

2 Likes

No email here either for a a firm delivery date as promised in the We will send a separate email later in September. I saw this as a hard promise, since one - I think - should be able to know ahead if you are able to confirm a firm delivery date until the end of the month. Otherwise you wouldnā€™t write that e-mail on the 8th day of the month.
I personally reached my limit on how many times I can accept a promises since ordering in march 2018 and go for a refund now.

2 Likes

Missing a prediction is ok. Especially if the vendor is building a product the world hasnā€™t seen before. If you ask me, Iā€™m fine with that as a customer.

But you know what really makes me unhappy? Being ghosted by the vendor.

It takes less than ten minutes to draft a bulk email that says, ā€œhey there, weā€™re still busy ramping up shipping, need more time to figure out our velocity, therefore no firm delivery date yet, thanks for your patience, stay tuned for our next update in four weeks.ā€

After all, weā€™re talking about a $1300 phone here (shipping, taxes and customs included.) One email like that would have been enough to keep me happy. Are the people at Purism not aware how much losing even a single customer costs them? A customer that not only never returns, but also isnā€™t ever going to spread the word to their friends? Are you aware how much money youā€™re leaving on the table?

12 Likes

Iā€™m in this camp, although I recognize that an email acknowledging a miss likely has to go through more than a few hands before itā€™s released. That said, Iā€™d think it would have been apparent to Purism on 9/29 than they werenā€™t in a position to satisfy this expectation and begun a process to draft an update. Being two days into October without even an hint of acknowledgment on their part is beginning to rankle my up-to-this-point willingness to make excuses on their behalf.

1 Like

ā€œā€¦September to each of you with a firm delivery dateā€¦ā€

I suppose in that case you do not have a firm delivery date and still have to wait. The Time Window is from October to shipping parity in maybe soon in 2022.

So if you have order your Phone in 2019 or 2020ā€¦ you will wait. I think i am got my phone short before parity. So in 2022.

Look at the Estimate of shippingā€¦ or switch to a USA Phone.

I donā€™t feel ghosted, its more like working with Artists for a really new Project. Do you think is was that easy to fly to the moon?

1 Like

Many people lament about the (non-)communication approach of Purism; weā€™re not talking about rocket science here :smile: flying to the moon was a government venture, not a market venture. Like businesses, private people (in certain situations aka customers) have to plan with times, resources, goods etc.

From your message, you are planning on the estimate of 52 weeks in Purisms last-published lead-times, right? I guess the people with lowest patience are those pre-funders and first-day preorderers which got through the most cycles of Purisms miscommunication with announcements and excuses.

Purism seems employing many hardworking, dedicated people; but do I need to give them money, and also to plan my needs around the company? ā€¦ I think this prevents many people from ordering. This could make no difference, since their supply chain seems working in molasses. They have a market monopoly on a very, very small niche, if you want too look at it from this side. You might have your own opinion on monopolies.

1 Like

The USA phone is just as bad.

I was on the Dogwood list, actually received my Dogwood shipment notice but decided to hold off for evergreen then switched to USA, and Iā€™ve heard NOTHING about my USA phone.

I was promised that I would keep my place in line. I should long since have got my USA phone. People who were originally slated for Evergreen have received theirs.

Iā€™ve disappeared, apparently.

And when I emailed them, all I got was the same ā€œpromiseā€ the website makes to BRAND NEW customers: 6-8 weeks.

3 Likes

I only had it for a day or two. So I donā€™t remember much. I know when I opened one of the pre-installed games I could not close them anymore. Only minimise them. The camera shot was always rotated 90 degrees to either right or left side. So I had to phisically rotate the tablet in my hands to correct the angle. One of the pre-istalled programs was Map navigation. When I clicked on it, it gave me a message saying this app/program is not available or supported on this platform. Something like that. I donā€™t remember the exact wording. Why did they even bother to put it there when it doesnā€™t work? Then I started thinking ā€œWell maybe this is some ultra early alpha software that came prematurely out of the womb. Let me update it from the terminalā€¦ā€ Only to realise that terminal/konsole is not there. Holy shit! Can you imagine a linux device without terminal? I was genuinely shocked. The built-in app store required an online account to use which I refused to use. And that was the last thing I remember that pissed me off. I returned the tablet because it was fucking useless. I bought second hand Surface Pro 3 installed Ubuntu on it and that was the end of that.

1 Like

I donā€™t know how it is on PureOS but maybe the terminal was ā€œKingā€™s Crossā€ whichā€™s name and icon can hardly be associated with a terminal app, but it is one.

Looks like a normal terminal icon to me: https://gitlab.gnome.org/ZanderBrown/kgx

1 Like

The BQ M10FHD was a fine device and I still have it in use after Canonical canceled the beta tester project. The screen shows the terminal running in which I ported the MUA mutt (www.mutt.org):

2 Likes