Enough is enough with Firefox

For that, Qubes OS has Whonix. Although disabling JS is good, too.

I’ve finally been forced to reckon with the change. Here’s my take on the UserChrome.css file:

/* Undo proton UI */

:root {
  --tab-border-radius: 0 !important;
  --tab-block-margin: 0 !important;
  --inline-tab-padding: 3px !important;
}

:root[uidensity="compact"] {
    --tab-min-height: 20px !important;
    --toolbarbutton-inner-padding: 4px !important;
    --urlbar-min-height: 26px !important;
}

.tabbrowser-tab {
    padding-inline: 0 !important;
    --tab-label-mask-size: 1em !important;
}

.tabbrowser-tab:not([selected=true]):not([multiselected=true]):not([beforeselected-visible="true"]) .tab-background {
    border-right: 1px solid var(-moz-accent-color, rgba(255, 255, 255, .20)) !important;
}

.tabbrowser-tab[selected=true] > .tab-stack > .tab-background > .tab-context-line {
    border-top: solid 2px var(--toolbar-field-focus-border-color) !important;
}

.tab-close-button {
    padding: 2px !important;
}
.tabbrowser-tab:not(:hover) > .tab-stack > .tab-content > .tab-close-button,
.tab-close-button {
    width: 16px !important;
    padding-inline-start: unset !important;
}

#nav-bar-customization-target > :is(toolbarbutton, toolbaritem):first-child, #nav-bar-customization-target > toolbarpaletteitem:first-child > :is(toolbarbutton, toolbaritem) {
    padding-inline-start: unset !important;
}

#urlbar[breakout] {
    top: 0px !important;
}

#star-button-box {
    display: none !important;
}

#urlbar-container, #search-container {
    padding-block: 0px !important;
}

#urlbar-container, #search-container {
    margin-inline: 3px !important;
}

2 Likes

Like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemini_(protocol)

Gemini is an application-layer internet communication protocol for accessing remote documents, similarly to the Hypertext Transfer Protocol or Gopher.

That’s overdoing is in the other direction :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Graven images?

2 Likes

I think you can have images with Gemini. They just can’t be embedded within text.

I am inclined to agree with you though … taken to an extreme.

See also: A different way to internet? Project Gemini

One thing good about firefox is that one does not have to log into google to get extensions as one must do with any degoogled chrome browser.

4 Likes

That said, one thing that I find frustrating about firefox is that certain sites don’t work and there is no easy way to figure out what firefox is doing to break the site. Degoogled chrome, on the other hand, does work

Never saw such websites. Care to provide some examples?

1 Like

One example: I use eno in a vm to purchase stuff because it creates unique numbers for each site. It does not work in firefox on my L14, where as it works on a windows machine in firefox. So I have to go to a windows machine to purchase stuff. It opens a separate browser window and I log in but the add-on does not recognize the log in.

By quickly guessing might be that you went into the wrong direction as many of Add-ons or extensions are not defined as essential or need-to-have parts within firefox or firefox-esr. Perhaps taking a deeper look, here and there, into how to enable/disable certain cookies might help you with your further issues (that aren’t related to Firefox by itself).

2 Likes

I am using LibreWolf only. Works for all my browsing needs.

1 Like

Dorota, has your css remained adequate for removal of all the latest UI annoyances?

I’m frozen at 90.0.2, myself…the last version that was able to natively negate all the unwelcome changes.

I don’t know about all, as I just care about what I see a lot, but it’s holding up so that I don’t notice its shortcomings any longer.

1 Like

I finally updated FF and FF-ESR, and added some CSS magic to bring back some sanity. That, plus an add-on to darken the scrollbars/scrolltracks, and a gtk.css file to widen them.

I may experiment with the Lepton CSS fix, though, as it also returns icons to menus.

See: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1339095

1 Like

Well now that Mint pushes Firefox, it is no wonder it won’t go away. (Probably because I
also use Thunderbird and the two are intertwined.) To use military terminology: time to “embrace the suck” or leave Mint.

Attention…

Incoming, more frustration in FF97:

N.B.:

Firefox users have two options when it comes to the new download behavior. The first enables the classic download behavior, but the caveat is that Mozilla may remove the option eventually. The second option enables the download prompt to save files to different directories. It lacks the open option of the classic dialog.

It amuses me how changes that break people’s workflows are always packaged as “improvements” instead of using some neutral wording.

3 Likes

Sometimes also called “modernization.” :roll_eyes: