Enough is enough with Firefox

I’m fairly certain .onion links can only be opened with Tor (but you don’t have to use the Tor browser specifically).

3 Likes

FTP support has been removed from chromium and anything based on it for some time, so outside of things like Palemoon, you might not have an option but to use an FTP client.

1 Like

A onion site is a hidden service a part of tor. You are required to connect through tor to access. Same goes for zero net sites with zeronet same with eepsites on i2p etc.

1 Like

Adding referral information when autocompleting a web address is hardly URL injection.

More than that, it likely was an honest mistake as they said. Cancel culture rears its ugly head again :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I see it as url injection because they injected a different link with them getting referal money. Isn’t really that bad on the scale but I dislike it an incredible amount. If it was an honest mistake, fine but I don’t think it truly was. I have no trust in brave. I don’t think I am on a high cancel culture horse. Brave has done multiple things that I would consider malicious so I think people should avoid it. I will never force someone to change their browser but instead suggest to them to switch away.

Rather than steer this topic off-course too much, I started a separate thread here about a simplified way to browse, interested on peoples thoughts.

Potentially someone might write an add-on (extension) for Firefox that gives you (back) an FTP client, as another option. After all, you can run an SSH client as a Firefox add-on (extension).

Such as?

As PureOS has moved to Gnome Web (Epiphany), have you tried that to see how well it addresses your concerns? If you use FTP in Firefox, does Gnome Web do FTP?

If FF is that bad, can someone suggest a “average” browser where I can least import my old FF bookmarks without reinventing the wheel?

And it isn’t spyware per user1 but I’m not wearing a tinfoil hat, I’m just an old guy saying “Get off my lawn!”

1 Like

I share your pain :sob: this configuration gets more and more annoying and complex to solve each times they modify the UI
Remember when it was by default ?
Remember when they changed the default but put an option on the right click ?
Remember when they delete this option in the right click and put a boolean in the about:config ?
Remember when you could change this in a plug-in and they changed their plug-in system which do not permits this anymore ?
Remember when they delete this option in the about:config and you had to create a chrome.css to make it work again ?
And I’m talking only about 1 configuration, I’m less and less excited to update my configuration to make it disappear again :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Pale Moon should work for that. It’s basically Firefox without the annoyances. Even some older Firefox add-ons work or have been forked to work, although the browser code is evolving in favor of native add-ons specifically created for Pale Moon. I use it in addition to Firefox and Firefox-ESR.

1 Like

I don’t think I have said FF is spyware but yes it is to some small extent and annoying by default. By configuring it can be good. I’d suggest checking out librewolf if you like.

Thanks will check it out.

Thanks. BTW, it was what you said about Brave being spyware (and possibly other browsers), not FF.

What Browser to Use? About Browser Isolation

Does the Brave Browser Really Beat Fingerprinting? Let’s Test!

2 Likes

Sorry amarok, palemoon gave me a difficult time on Mint. Gave up. Tried the script for manual for latest i386, and it burped with permissions complaint then tried a direct binary and it blew up there too. (Just recently downgraded to an old Dell E5500 for hardware, no camera, no bluetooth.)

Having attempted the palemoon suggestion and failed below will try epiphany now. At least the one word search for “epiphany” shows up in synaptic and/or software installer, “gnome web”, not so.

P.S. Hope my bank recognizes it.

P.P.S. Yes that worked with my bank. Since it was a fork, I was worried the bank would say my browser is too “old”. Don’t like the bookmarks organization, however, I liked the old folders and subfolders.

@tracy, that’s odd. I’ve been using Pale Moon on Mint for years. ( https://linux.palemoon.org/ ) I get it from the Ubuntu repo.

1 Like

Will try palemoon again. Epiphany works, but the bookmarks are ugly and slows down after more than one tab. Will post errors to you as I get them.

Palemoon’s first bullet says “Optimized for modern processors” but this old E5500 is just a Intel Duo T7250 2GHz, so not sure.

Dropping down to Ubuntu 20.04 seems to have don the trick. Decided to ignore the warning about permissions.

1 Like

Surprise. Of course now I have to find a new ad blocker…