Enough is enough with Firefox

What Browser to Use? About Browser Isolation

Does the Brave Browser Really Beat Fingerprinting? Let’s Test!

2 Likes

Sorry amarok, palemoon gave me a difficult time on Mint. Gave up. Tried the script for manual for latest i386, and it burped with permissions complaint then tried a direct binary and it blew up there too. (Just recently downgraded to an old Dell E5500 for hardware, no camera, no bluetooth.)

Having attempted the palemoon suggestion and failed below will try epiphany now. At least the one word search for “epiphany” shows up in synaptic and/or software installer, “gnome web”, not so.

P.S. Hope my bank recognizes it.

P.P.S. Yes that worked with my bank. Since it was a fork, I was worried the bank would say my browser is too “old”. Don’t like the bookmarks organization, however, I liked the old folders and subfolders.

@tracy, that’s odd. I’ve been using Pale Moon on Mint for years. ( https://linux.palemoon.org/ ) I get it from the Ubuntu repo.

1 Like

Will try palemoon again. Epiphany works, but the bookmarks are ugly and slows down after more than one tab. Will post errors to you as I get them.

Palemoon’s first bullet says “Optimized for modern processors” but this old E5500 is just a Intel Duo T7250 2GHz, so not sure.

Dropping down to Ubuntu 20.04 seems to have don the trick. Decided to ignore the warning about permissions.

1 Like

Surprise. Of course now I have to find a new ad blocker…

uBlock Origin? Have you checked out the add-ons list yet?

1 Like

I’d suggest other add-ons like:

For helping out tor users (when this bridge gets pushed into stable):

You have know know the name to look for, they are all categorized. Is it a Tool & Utilitie? An Alert & Update? Privacy and Security?,

I looked for ghostery for example that I was using hitherto, it did not come up.

However now I know to look for ublock and/or origin. thanks! (Two word search terms are funny that way.)

P.S. A search for ublock gets me ABPrime, ηMatrix, or EHPrime. uBlock does not appear.

P.P.S. Note to self: Don’t use the magnifying glass icon on the upper right to search for a plug-in, use the Search Plugins button, (which is yet another category).

https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/privacy-and-security/

For some add-ons that you’re used to, you’ll have to use the available fork, or a substitute add-on.

Word of caution regarding Vivaldi though: it doesn’t keep backups of the session (list of open tabs etc…). So if something happens that corrupts the “current” session, e.g. a browser crash at some inopportune time (which is not all that uncommon), you lose the entire thing. Happened to me within a year of usage.

I’m not using it anymore, so I can’t offer any specific advice. But if you’re intent on using Vivaldi, and you’re the sort who likes to continue where they left off last time they closed their browser, see if there’s some plugin of sorts that backs up the session at regular intervals.

Vivaldi does have a setting to start up with the last session, which partly addresses this. I don’t know how robust it is if the browser crashes, but should be fine if you close the browser normally and then start it up again. There are also items under the File menu to save/restore open tabs as. I agree that it would be nice to have an option to restore the last session after opening a new session without having had to save it explicitly. As you say there may be plugins that can help.

I think you may have misunderstood what I said. Yes, the feature is there, it opens your previous tabs and lets you continue where you left off. The problem is, it doesn’t keep backups. Just one file containing the current session. So that when that file gets corrupted, as happened to me, you lose all your open tabs. With session backups, you may lose the very latest state, but at least you still have a recent backup to fall back on so the damage is limited.

Of course it’s pretty robust if you close your browser normally rather than crashing it. For people who diligently plan their unexpected computer issues around their browser usage, there’s nothing to worry about. The rest of us mere mortals though… :joy:

Brave is made by the people who created large chunks of the software infrastructure the internet works on.

Is it a perfect solution? Honestly a very relative question. I think Rob understands this. There are some things you should absolutely safe guard. But you can’t exist in this tech driven world with an extreme mindset and still prosper. If you do, you will be relegated to become a fossil of tech’s past.

This is perfectly acceptable, because it is individual choice.

Here is the challenge as I see it:

Show me a browser that tickles all of the security and privacy obsessed while still being able to render the internet in a completely compliant and usable way.

There is also GNU IceCat, by the way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_IceCat

(And you can use Firefox extensions with it.)

This is interesting, what are they known for?

2 Likes

I have stated this elsewhere, but if one wishes to use Vivaldi, read the “Privacy Policy” very carefully. I almost bit long ago, but I changed my mind.

I do not care for the Proton interface, but most of my displeasure came from theincreased spacing in the menus. I was able to find a solution to that using settings in userChrome.css.

Yeah that was a bit vague and exaggerated. Works for me though, so meh. I’m talking about Java script and the work done while at Mozilla.

1 Like

Nice, I didn’t realize Brave came from Netscape people. (Now I realize my previous comment had a hint of unintended irony. In reality it was just blunt wording, I’m genuinely curious.)

1 Like