Enough is enough with Firefox

Something positive: https://www.ghacks.net/2022/06/29/firefox-remove-known-tracking-parameters-from-urls-in-all-modes/

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure how positive that is. Parameters arenā€™t only used for tracking, and thereā€™s no way to reliably tell which ones are and which arenā€™t. Itā€™s like an ad blocker, except Iā€™d rather have an actual ad blocker. Maybe thatā€™s where they want to go.

1 Like

Maybe you want to take a look at Gemini protocol:
https://gemini.circumlunar.space/

But, there are other uses for bloated HTML5+, CSS and JavaScript ā€“ web GUIs. If I make web GUI well, I donā€™t need to worry much when porting my application across hardware and different systems. At least not the part exposed to user.

Besides, plaintext is a rather poor choice when it comes to big data. Do you suggest to exchnge Gb-s and Tb-s of, say, image data in plaintext?

ā€œImage dataā€? You reminded me of HPā€™s proprietary ā€œTurbo/Imageā€ database. All the data fields are text, some numerics represented in hex, but mosty text. Used for transactions. (This is humor for me, you may continue back on topic.)

1 Like

I believe itā€™s based on a known tracker list, so it would be a good idea to verify exactly which types of trackers it blocks.

Sounds like what amarok said. And thatā€™s a really good thing. For example I often get huge Amazon links. 80% of the link is the tracker, so Amazon can track over various devices and can connect users together if they want. Friends I told how that works where very surprised about it. So it would be a huge improvement against some tracking websites.

1 Like

Or not. <ot> Image/250ā€™s migrating secondaries taught me what can happen when deleting records while iterating over your search results.</ot>

1 Like

Indeed, but thatā€™s what Adager or DBGeneral were for. We repacked our Masters when needed. Of course it got easier as the systems became faster.

Chuckleā€¦ I worked on one of those at one time. Thanks for making me smile, in remembrance.

WOW !! I havenā€™t thought about Adager in forever!! :wink:

FF109 will add Manifest V3 support in addition to V2:
https://www.ghacks.net/2022/11/23/januarys-firefox-release-will-support-manifest-v3-extensions/

1 Like

IMO:
I must disagree because Microsoft put itā€™s hands-on stalker in itā€™s OS the ā€˜freeā€™ OS, that thing that made Microsoft what is, and now itā€™s free? Why? The first hit of Heroin is free too.
About 40% of the Win is busy working for M$. M$ updates itā€™s stalkers when it wants to, not when you want, unless you buy up. Adobeā€™s Photoshop, Office 365 online, Steam, Ubisoft, all put their stalkers into their wares.

I think calling them trackers or tracers, is being too kind. They do what a stalker does. Stalk, Monitor, Inject, Record, Control. SMIRCing.

~s

1 Like

Would love to communicate better, but i have that not native language barrier. Shoshana Zuboff wrote about it and pinned, what you point out too. Its just not the first shotā€¦

This kind of Companies try to estimate and tune your behavior in future, cause on a free Market about a bet on some folks behavior or just how much humans come to one point at 1:33 pm in a shop, have much more value then selling them just a pice of software.

Microsoft and all other try to make the daily usage of IT-Infrastructure (Computers, Sensors, Smartphones, Cars, Shopping Assistentā€¦), to a Source of endless Power and less Money.

Its not like one hit of Heroine, its like Slavery and 99,99 % are not smart enough or not old enough to understand and buy free.

We humans had that often before and society find ways to trick around issues. Right know we are not fast enough in communicate the new world out there and the circumstances, to bring up kind of a guard or safe spaces for privacy. Its about knowledge, and how we use Systems.

You are right there is a sneaky way to block trackers and use Computers offline. Its like with food and about own cooking and choose known and good ingredients. On some Spaces even the water was/is not safe to use. And like all its about Information, Chemistry and how to build safe environments.

We can not do everything by ourself. We have to trust each other and do some checks and balances. And need to trust others, for democracy.

And its still like my language issueā€¦ Computers are some kind like a different language. You have to use it in order to understand and trust it, and learning. That it the only way how it can bring us together. I just exclude/drop the daily A.I. and wtf stuff for a second :wink:

However i do not trust Alphabet, Apple, Facebook, Twitter, TickTock, Microsoft or Mozilla. But on some ways i have to, cause i can not check the daily Amount of X-Billion lines of new Code. The Only way is to pick some Parts read them and try to use very simple Software in Daily life or privacy Matter.

Regards

Cristal

I am sure I understood everything you said. Lot of good points.
Thank you for adding different different ideas.
Be careful
~s.

1 Like

Actually using dpkg I removed
- firefox-esr
- weather
- librem 5 tour
- chess

• phosh-games
  • tracker
  • cawbird

Trying to remove geotracker spyware geoclueā€¦ but seems they did a Microsoft and built dependencies into Wayland or gnome orā€¦

Great.

Gnome a ridiculous systemD slave, i guess that Gnome want to be win the race between IOS.

Race to the point where people run from its spyware I guess.

Maybe I can find a gnome replacement for libre5.
I use Qubes on PCs for the most part. Maybe that will do itā€¦
Replace Dalvic with KVM and Qubes.

Carlo you are right about gnome. And systemd too. I use it too because i think that step and frog needs to be swallow if you like to have some free alternative alive which will serve some alternative to the personalized, do not think an follow the candy solution. Gnome sell data too like the default search engine in the Desktop application search. But you have control to edit this settings and use alternatives. So its much better as google, apple or Microsoft devices too. Like a sad compromise on privacy and usage.

I just want to drop that on Firefox you have the possibility to disable the control over enabled adblockers (quarantane of plugins) for Websites.

We all will lose on this race to apps and Monetization so i think Firefox is still a good place to focus on, instead of Chrome where you miss that setting or on Apple where you not have the full control over the device you bought.

1 Like

I working on gnu-icecat to bring fully hardware acceleration video decode in L5 so with this improve the L5 should be stay cooler and low battery drain while watching videos on youtube. stay tuned.

3 Likes

GNU IceCat has not been updated since 2019, at least from the last time I checked, so it would be great to see some new changes.

1 Like