Enough is enough with Firefox

You did, and I did, but I didn’t see what the big deal was. Do you recall what it was?

Sorry, I do not mean to imply anything. I think people should read the T&Cs and privacy policies and judge for themselves.

Personally, I do not like having a unique ID, IP address (Yes, they say they delete the last octet. So?), and system information reported every 24 hours. The IP is used to look up one’s location. Even if one is using a VPN, the unique ID can be correlated to it and the time on-line.

Maybe this is low risk and not bad in itself, but with other information… It is sometimes unavoidable, but I do not like being tracked.

And, no, I do not have a smartphone. :wink:

No worries, I was just mentioning that I’d looked into what you’d said before, that’s all.

I’ll have to look again, I don’t recall the “every 24 hours” thing. I would not care for that either.

Been at it for a few days, the only thing I miss is that FF (whether you wanted to or not) placed itself on the panel. For Palemoon on Mint I have to go through the menu.

It is probably just me, I never figured out how to put a program on the panel on Mint.

Open the Menu, find the program, right-click on it, select “Add to Panel.”

Edit: At least, that’s how you do it in the MATE desktop. I don’t know about Cinnamon.

2 Likes

Thanks, that did the trick.

1 Like

Ottoer Browser is okay. Actually, I think once this matures a little more it’ll be pretty nifty. Appimg’s are available.

As others have mentioned:
https://librewolf-community.gitlab.io/

If you prefer to use the keyboard:
https://qutebrowser.org/

Basilisk is another Firefox fork from the same people behind Palemoon. No complaints. Pretty much what you’d expect. Only thing really missing from these, from every other browser, is container and cookie et. al. isolation. One trick is to add multiple profiles and have a bunch of separate windows open.
https://basilisk-browser.org/

Falkon is another okay Qt browser. Unfortunately, it’s “in maintenance mode” right now so if anyone wants to contribute some dev time…! This is the evolution of Qupzilla.
https://www.falkon.org/

Then there’s always w3m, Lynx, and brow.sh if you want very basic. Hey, these are probably more secure! lol.
Brow.sh does depend on a Firefox install but it’s meant to be used in a terminal and supports HTML5, CSS3, JS, video and even WebGL. So, if you don’t mind doing a bit of setup just to get the thing working properly it’s pretty neat.

I’ve been testing out LibreWolf on my macbook (haven’t gotten my L14 yet) and like it so far. How would everyone compare it to Brave, or Chromium for security/privacy?

Librewolf is just FF without the bullshit and some hardening. Default chromium is still very google with some proprietary stuff which is why ubgoogled-chromium exists and brave feels worse spyware than mozilla. I’d say librewolf is leaps and bounds better than the others. If you do not want gecko, I guess you can use ungoogled-chromium.

I just found this one. I did not dig into it, but it may be interesting. Don’t know how good it works and if it’s a candidate for a first browser, but other utility in the personal toolbox.

Mozilla is super annoying about constantly changing (and some, including me, say ruining) the UI for no apparent reason.

Thats true :frowning:

Thanks a lot for the hint about “browser.proton.enabled false”. I’ll give it a try.

Total devastation to the PGP functionality tempted me to go back to and STAY WITH version 68 in Thunderbird.
Even wrote a howto for a friend: go_back_Thunderbird_GnuPG/Thunderbird_auf_68_mit_GnuPG_zurueck_bringen.html

It’s hard to find alternative browsers.
Librewolf was mentioned (Thanks!!) and Otter Browser (Thanks!)
and famous FSF has
GNU IceCat Web Browser (there you see the ugly difference of really free and only gratis)

The mentioned Vivaldi is a less data criminal Chromium browser, IMHO. Perfect for video conferencing but privacy still a trade off.

Another helpless hint for desperate users is:
SEAMONKEY
Seamonkey uses the mozilla engines hence is not independent. But does it in a decent way!
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/features
Have a look if you like PURIStic applications.
If you are old yourself or like the real thing or are aware of good traditions:
You may become friends.

1 Like

Does the question of password manager integration play a role for anyone choosing a browser? I use Bitwarden but wondering if whether it can auto fill in login info is necessarily a good thing or needed? Or just copy/paste which can be an inconvenience but…

Never use it. I’m one of those when faced with the question to “remember” click the “never” button. My password manager are address books in triplicate kept in three places.

It avoids the “One Ring to Rule them All” problem. If compromised, all your passwords are also.

3 Likes

Hit one snag. Paypal wouldn’t let me link to a bank in Pale Moon. I figured it was the browser so I installed Chromium to get it to work.

P.S. And this is for the saxenviolets email address that Support can’t make work in librem.one, I ended up creating it in gmail.

I remeber that there was some sort of exploit years ago in one of the browsers where password manager could get compromised. I wasn’t using password managers back then, but that event taught me not to trust the builtin one.

On one hand, the malicious actor has an easier time exploiting the builtin one rather than one that needs to be started separately and copy-pasted. Checking the browser version tells them which exploits are going to work, plus it’s not going to be easier to gain shell access than compromise a part of the browser.

On the other hand, I prefer supplying passwords to be an explicit act that requires my attention. If the wrong password gets filled in and then absentmindedly submitted, it’s game over. I either lose my password or disclose an identity I didn’t intend to.

5 Likes

I hope we get a secure solution for autotyping on wayland. I used to use autotype with keepassx. So I had an independent password managers while also had the convenience of the machine typing for me, making long random passwords usable. Copy & paste is an alternative but on wild west platforms like android and iOS third parties are even stealing from the clipboard.

Maybe someone in here knows something about this issue: One can enable auto hyphenation in css and Firefox (possibly more browsers) support this (they hyphenate dynamically when one resizes the window). But alas, the Greek language is one of the few ones that is not supported. I am trying to find some information for what is missing so that maybe I could contribute somehow, so that Greek is added to the list. This page:

at the bottom has a long list of supported languages.

But I can not find how to contact the devs for this. Any hint?

It would be better for you to create a separate thread for that, so it will be more visible.

1 Like
1 Like

Just stumbled upon this:

https://nyxt.atlas.engineer/article/release-2.0.0.org

Nyxt (browser) is a programmer’s best friend.
* keyboard-driven (vi, Emacs, or CUA style)
* fully programmable
* privacy conscious
* power user friendly

1 Like