Estimate your Librem 5 refund 💸

You should note in this thread is that sometimes refunds were given after Purism was contacted by a state AG or a lawyer.

Purism “not wanting to give refunds” has always been the case. You not wanting to hear about how Purism is still acting reprehensibly/poorly is not a reason to close the thread. If anything, it’s a reason to keep the thread more active.

2 Likes

Except there’s been mixed feedback as to whether or not Purism is issuing refunds when money becomes available. As there has been no official statement from Purism on this you’re assuming refunds aren’t available anymore and assuming they won’t be in the future when you suggest that this thread is no longer relevant.

How about letting the people whom the thread is relevant for post and letting the thread end when no more people post because the relevance is no longer there. Making off-topic posts only serves to make the thread more active which appears counter to your stated goal of closing the thread.

3 Likes

OK, fair enough. I did overlook that one person received a refund this year. And separately from that, we can see that one person received a refund last year. That’s it for 2 years.

Whether that is enough data to “estimate your refund” is doubtful.

On that we agree. There has been no official statement from Purism. So speculation rushes in to fill the void.

Yes. Based on a post from 4 days ago when it was reported

No refund

but the amount + 20% in the shop

So they are rejecting a request for a refund (and this topic contains at least one other poster whose request for a refund was rejected) but instead offering store credit (with 20% bonus).

Gee, with the 20% bonus and a later order of a Librem 5 (as contrasted with an early backer), that could just about be enough to get a Librem 11.

If that were a problem then so many topics in this forum would be closed as having gone off track.

It’s not my stated goal (and I don’t have the access to do so). I was making two observations:

• If the stated purpose of the topic is to damage Purism (and this was stated by the poster to whom I responded) then I suggested that it would be rational for Purism to close the thread.
  • The data actually in the thread is basically useless for the original purpose of the topic.

It is not clear that mere activity of a topic would save it from being closed.

As you were.

1 Like

Purism went from saying they would refund your money at any time if you changed your mind, to saying they would issue your refund when you reached your turn in the shipping queue, to receive a Librem 5.

Now, it appears that Purism has changed the refund policy again. Now there are no refunds. There is only credit in the Purism Store, plus twenty percent.

Does anyone else here see the lack of morality in these unilateral changes in policies with no apologies and no recourse for the customer? There is no way that I will ever buy anything from Purism again. They don’t keep agreements and don’t care what anyone thinks about them. No business lasts long term that way. It’s just a matter of time before they go out of business.

3 Likes

Yes, this has been discussed several times on the forum, you’re not alone and this isn’t the first time this policy has been changed unilaterally and retroactively.

This style of rhetoric might feel good, but isn’t helpful and isn’t relevant to this topic. Feel free to reply with a linked topic, though be aware it will likely devolve to flaming and being locked as there is a lot of passion involved in such topics.

2 Likes

For people who are considering “taking delivery and selling their phone” or “selling your order via Purism support changing buyer details”, it appears that this route will be difficult due to lack of demand.

Witness the difficulty here: [ASIA] Librem 5 for sale - #12 by irvinewade where they are trying to sell a Librem 5 (with Asian version of the modem) for $450 (or $520 on ebay).

[Edit: Here is one on offer from Europe. [SALE] Librem 5 Evergreen Europe unopened . Ask is 900Euro (to cover import duties) while the most recent Bid is 500Euro+ up to 150Euro if the buyer has to pay import duties for a private transaction.]

4 Likes

Nothing unexpected, but what’s the other option? Neither getting hands on device nor money?

My opinion is that Purism is taking advantage of the fact that lawsuits are difficult and it’s also difficult to get the FTC or other government agencies to take notice. I believe it is clear that, legally speaking, Purism can not retroactively change the terms [e.g. refund policy] of a sales contract.

Purism has decided that it is cheaper to take the publicity hit from not treating its customers with respect (and not honoring their sales agreements). I can not fathom why people would trust Purism to create/sell a privacy and/or security product if they can’t trust them to honor their refund policy.

2 Likes

I think it is exactly as you wrote @Privacy2, I am yet again ghosted by Purism since I replied to them with “no, a store receipt is not acceptable” (they asked me if it was, so…).

So, I totally agree with you: “I can not fathom why people would trust Purism to create/sell a privacy and/or security product if they can’t trust them to honor their refund policy.” That is excatly what I am thinking right now…

1 Like

Just my opinion, but: there are specific and very important differences.

First of all Purism did never any important thing wrong except the refunds problematic. This is the requirement that we can call it an “exception”. Otherwise they will loose all trust.

Second … they’re not transparent with refunds, but source code is transparent, so we actually don’t need to trust in what they’re doing, we can prove it and we can trust in GNOME and others that they reviewed the code that came upstreamed to their code base. And in fact, thanks to this some problematic features like not randomized LUK got better after such reviews.

The last point is the fact, that even if I would not trust Purism, I would have no choice to trust them. The alternative would be using a smartphone or the Pinephone pocket computers. I don’t trust smartphones even more since nothing (hardware, firmware and preinstalled OS) is (free) open source and Pinephone is just not daily drivable for me. So at the end it doesn’t matter for now if I can trust or not. L5 is still a device I never would change to something else that exists right now.

So if I could buy the same device for the same price to replace my smartphone, I would do it again as long as those 3 points stay as they’re. The refunds problematic just changed two important thing to me: (1) I would not count on refund, so I would not buy as long as I’m not absolutely sure I want it or (2) I would buy somewhere else if there is a Purism-like company with comparable products but which is more trustworthy.

5 Likes

Let’s summarize;
You ordered the L5, Purism would like to deliver it. You say No.
They offer you a store credit. Again You say no.

If you don’t accept any of their offers, you are the one who is loosing money.

@shopping4purism, I deleted my initial post. But can you please re-read my posts on this topic and maybe understand my point? That Purism has promised a refund several times, then, unilaterally, decided that a refund is not something they want to handle.

OK, so Purism, send me my phone. I am so sick of being treated like a moaning baby on this forum for belvieving in what you stated when I sent you my $600. For a bunch of you, that is maybe not much. For me, that is another month where I can pay my rent. I truly believe in open hardware/software. But I don’t believe in Purism anymore.

And yes, I am “stupid”. I agree. And I am losing my money. I am an idiot for believing that this company would honor their promises.

No you are not stupid, far from that.
I agree with you that Purism changing their refund policy is not OK. But fact is they did and you have a hard time to accep this new situation. As I see it, you are having a hard time (financially and emotionally). Financially you have a next best option and you refuse it.That I find difficult to understand. It’s far from ideal, but If I where you, I would choose one of the two offered options. Then try to sell the choosen option. Again not what you had in mind but better then nothing.
Also as soon as you accept this new situation, you will find peace of mind.
That is a big win (for your health). I appoligize for simplifying this issue, but my lack of better English knowledge is hindering me to choose better words.

1 Like

Yeah, I am stubborn.

But now I have told Purism support to send me my phone. Maybe they will even answer me this time! Who knows?!

If anyone is interested in buying it, PM me.

I wonder why Purism is so short on cash, even after catching up on the Librem 5 shipping queue. Could it be that for every promised refund that was not issued, that there are five people out there who would have ordered a Librem 5, but they decided not to do business with Purism at all because they don’t like how Purism does not honor their own agreements (the agreements that Purism drafted themselves) with customers.

Being cash poor at the beginning of a manufacturing ramp-up is understandable. Being cash poor upon reaching shipping parity brings up questions about the long-term viability of both the product and the business. As we all know, Purism doesn’t generally disclose their financial position. But we do know one thing about Purism’s finances. It’s the only thing they tell us (indirectly) about their finances. They are cash poor.

1 Like

Conspiracy theory time.

A big bunch of smart and evil people saw a huge potential of Librem 5 breaking the Android/iOS duopoly and wanted to stop it. They preordered Librem 5 with intention to cancel their preorders and destroy the company. Purism noticed way too many calls for refund and understood that they wouldn’t survive if they fulfilled them all. The rest of the story is in this topic above.

My comment: Purism did everything right. I hope they will be able to fulfill all refunds when possible though.

3 Likes

Not sure whether I should laugh or cry.

1 Like

They violated their sales agreements. How can you possibly say that they “did everything right”.

2 Likes

I would go further and say: they promised refund for everyone if the initial campaign failed, the main mistake they made is keeping the refund policy after the initial campaign closed, like many crowdfunding campaign they should have said NO refund after the campaign closed

:100: yep agreed totally :+1:, if Purism didn’t had the delays, he would have received the device before his refund request, no money waiting anywhere, he would be in the same situation and no one to blame.

I also thought of this but I did end up with it didn’t happened
Why ? Because If I was a competitor, I wouldn’t provide cash to a potential threat, you would have to know/predict the heat problem/social crisis/cpu shortage to play that game.
And If I did play that game, I would have order a dozen of device, and then at the first opportunity of weakness from Purism, I would have ask for a refund and hit them with all my lawyer powers (I would not want that from google or Apple), making sure of the bad press in the niche technical world about the trial.
It didn’t happened
So my more realistic theory is just: because of the social crisis in 2020/2021 and electronics shortage, people have lost money, feared to never get the device, didn’t understand the wait for the development and get tired of the delays, [insert other consequences of this period], so many of them decided to ask for a refund

Yes exactly, they protected the business to be able to fulfill all the pre-orders, and in consequence be less damaging (on the social viewpoint)

1 Like

Thank you @Privacy2 for this post. You penned how I feel. But. I have almost given up now.

1 Like