Estimate your Librem 5 refund 💸

Not sure whether I should laugh or cry.

1 Like

They violated their sales agreements. How can you possibly say that they “did everything right”.

2 Likes

I would go further and say: they promised refund for everyone if the initial campaign failed, the main mistake they made is keeping the refund policy after the initial campaign closed, like many crowdfunding campaign they should have said NO refund after the campaign closed

:100: yep agreed totally :+1:, if Purism didn’t had the delays, he would have received the device before his refund request, no money waiting anywhere, he would be in the same situation and no one to blame.

I also thought of this but I did end up with it didn’t happened
Why ? Because If I was a competitor, I wouldn’t provide cash to a potential threat, you would have to know/predict the heat problem/social crisis/cpu shortage to play that game.
And If I did play that game, I would have order a dozen of device, and then at the first opportunity of weakness from Purism, I would have ask for a refund and hit them with all my lawyer powers (I would not want that from google or Apple), making sure of the bad press in the niche technical world about the trial.
It didn’t happened
So my more realistic theory is just: because of the social crisis in 2020/2021 and electronics shortage, people have lost money, feared to never get the device, didn’t understand the wait for the development and get tired of the delays, [insert other consequences of this period], so many of them decided to ask for a refund

Yes exactly, they protected the business to be able to fulfill all the pre-orders, and in consequence be less damaging (on the social viewpoint)

1 Like

Thank you @Privacy2 for this post. You penned how I feel. But. I have almost given up now.

1 Like

Thank you again @Privacy2. I didn’t even have the energy to make a similar comment.

I fully understand the support for what Purism is doing in terms of FLOSS open HW/SW, but… I must be possible to combine this with trust.

Ok, I will re-iterate:

1. I pre-order a libre phone because I wanted to support this mission. At this time, the time when I was charged the money, Purism PROMISED a refund was possible.

2. They changed their policy (how on earth can a company change a promise?) and told me that when they reached my place in the queue, it would be possible to apply for and get a refund. (So I did.)

3. Now, 10 months after applying for this PROMISED refund, they seem to suggest that they won’t pay out any refunds.

I can’t see how this is nothing but dishonest. Purism certainly seems to be a company with really worthwhile goals. Still, they lie. This is a matter of fact.

3 Likes

Discusting that you take rape victims into this discussion. It says much about you and the way you think. That’s all I have to say to you.

2 Likes

Because of this:

But also, their choice allows to eventually fulfill all refunds later and not loose the company. I hope they’ll do it, maybe even with higher paybacks.

Making a Linux phone is extremely hard as proven by many earlier failed attempts. Purism’s calculation was completely wrong, and I think that knowledgeable people could predict that. Purism delayed everything even before the crises.

This would reveal who you are. Purism could sue you back for intentional fraud, and you would also get a lot of bad PR.

2 Likes

Not necessarily, in a totally legal manner, and not an evil obvious one, you could create a good story, then play the victim (I won’t give more details about what I’m thinking of)
But again, my first idea prevail, it’s more: you don’t provide money to a potential threat even more so when making a Linux phone is extremely hard :wink:

It’s disgusting that you are telling a victim “there’s nothing you can do, just let them get away with it.” You should be aware that the person you were talking to let me know that they appreciated my response. Think about that.

1 Like

@Privacy2 I agree that the problem is real. I still think that it’s disgusting to compare lost money to rape victims.

3 Likes

Thats the post that gets these kinds of discussions shut down every time…

3 Likes

As everyone here can see, I am not actually organizing a lawsuit here. Sometimes I’ll make a post like that, just to see how paranoid the powers that be here, actually are. If they shut it down, I guessed correctly. They’re afraid. Should they be? We’ll see.

So they hid that post. I was correct. Everything I said there was said with respect, no disrespect. So they apparently hid it because what I said was correct,… too close to the truth.

I call BS.

1 Like

You don’t have to be paranoid to remove organization of legal actions against your company on your own forum.

2 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 5 days.

As I was previously involved in this topic I just wanted to commuicate that I finally managed to sell my order to a person from my country.

Then I used the money to buy a Volla Phone X23. Amazing hardware. Going to try to dual boot Ubuntu Touch this weekend. The AOSP default has a lovely minimal launcher with privacy option.

3 Likes

How much did you sell your order for?

So yeah, im one of those suffering the dramatic Librem 5 horror story.
Im Located in europe, in Spain. I asked for a refund and was told to wait “several weeks” in february this year. That was the closest to a specific answer i got, but never happened.

When talking to support i never get any precise information and they ignore half of my emails. I feel purism will delete this post, but anyways any advice? ive read about some steps to take if your in usa, but if im in europe…

Im not rich, that money may seem little to some of the geeks here but for me it is not little money.
Please purism respect your customers, and please purism forum users give some advice.

You guys have a nice day, learn the lesson and dont be like me :stuck_out_tongue:

ps. in case this gets deleted or soomeone whats to talk to me in private you can send me an email to mf5s89np0@mozmail.com

2 Likes

Time to ping @joao.azevedo and @mladen here.
And @JCS

2 Likes