Estimate your Librem 5 shipping

“one” referring to the pinephone. The software freedom part is what has drawn me to the librem 5 in the first place :slight_smile: open source hardware drivers and operating system are a great selling point for the librem 5.

1 Like

yeah, same as pinephone.

1 Like

You aren’t wrong, but that doesn’t tell us much about future shipments, because this isn’t a linear process. An electronics assembler in China can produce 10k of the Librem 5 in a week.

The unknown variables are:

1. whether Purism has the cash on hand to pay for manufacturing in large lots or Purism is waiting for more orders to finance more production,
  2. whether Purism can get all the required parts due to the current global chip shortages,
  3. when Purism will get FCC certification (and have the lab testing to assert CE certification),
  4. when Purism will have solved enough of the software issues so that it can ship in large quantities without overwhelming the support staff with customer support tickets,
  5. how fast the Fulfillment Center in Carlsbad, California can install modems, then test, package and ship phones,
  6. whether there are quality control issues with the hardware that need to be resolved before Purism can ship in large quantities.

It is my speculation that variable 1 is the most important, and variable 3 should be solved soon. In my opinion, Purism should ship as soon as it can and ignore variable 4, since the vast majority of customers are early adopters who will be far happier just to get the phone, and can deal with having to use the forum for support. However, there have been enough people reporting on this forum and Reddit that they had to send the phone back to fix a hardware problem, that it seems likely that variable 6 is still an issue.

3 Likes

Pine64 does not invest a dime into developing drivers or an operating system. I love my pinephones and would not want to part from them. But a big share of the software stack they run has been developed by puri.sm employees on their payroll. The pinephone doesn’t put any hurdles into your way to freedom (in contrast to other vendors) but they are not building the road themselves.

P.S. well, 10$ of the community editions went to the respective OS communities, so “not a dime” is wrong.

9 Likes

No quite unlike the pinephone, like i said the pinephone does not have a focus on software freedom. They do happen to ship a lot free and open source software, it’s just not their focus. They want to build a linux phone that’s affordable, and user other projects to make it work. which is fine in itself, I’d just prefer companies like purism that actively strive to make the entire thing open from hardware to software. They are both great projects in their own right, the goals are just a bit different.

6 Likes

The goals are exactly the same and both phones were designed with software freedom in mind - their reason of existence!. But Purism leans towards in-house software development and PINE64 focuses on engaging and supporting the FOSS communities for it and it’s doing an absolutely amazing job at it, not only with the PinePhone but the other products. Please stop spreading misinformation! I’m off-topic and I won’t reply again on this subject again.

3 Likes

Although we don’t know for sure that this isn’t PEBKAC (PEBPAC?) in at least some cases.

1 Like

So, where are they currently at? Are they still working on orders from September of 2017?

2 Likes

They’re past those, should be around late October 2017 orders now, see:

In summary, we will be providing shipping estimates within the next week to the backers within the original crowdfunding campaign (orders through October 2017), but not all backers yet, based on our confidence in the estimates .

1 Like

I ordered mine on September 27th 2017. It is planned to ship this week, but hasn’t been shipped yet.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m just going to order a new PinePhone when it’s available because I really don’t think that I’ll be getting my L5 this year.

3 Likes

I just got a mail (5min ago) that my Librem 5 is now shipping!!! Got tracking number and everything.

Ordered the 27th September 2017 just like @reg.

So they kept their promise that it would be shipped this week :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hehe I got an email at about the same time too :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hmmm, my order date is October 7, 2017 and in Feb I got a mail from Purism saying that they expect shipping in April. Until now I have not got the mail for address confirmation and modem selection. When you have got this confirmation mail?

My order date is Sept 27th. Expected shipping date 15-19 March. I received the address confirmation email on March 11th.

2 Likes

I recently got my Librem5 (I was one of the backers of the L5 campaign). Here’s the story:

• Product order: 23 Sep 2017
  • Purism - shipping preparing notification: 24 Feb 2021
  • Purism - shipping ready notification: 05 Mar 2021
  • DHL - delivery notification: 10 Mar 2021 (VAT: 22% - DHL fees: 16,47€)
  • DHL - delivery: 11 Mar 2021

I live in Europe/Italy

10 Likes

If you check the table you’ll see quite a few orders between Sep 27 and Oct 7, so I would not worry yet.

I think I found the bottleneck :laughing:

31 Likes

I ordered in August of 2019… Come to papa :smiley:

1 Like

There have reportedly also been multiple sightings of Fir in the wild: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fir

3 Likes