Estimate your Librem 5 shipping

I’d say just over a half million retail sales counts as big… :slight_smile:

Now I just need to not loose heart as all the October reports take what’ll feel like an eternity to come thorough!
(I finally start to understand why a few month probably sounded reasonable when they first said it!)

3 Likes

Is it just me, or do these forums feel like a continuous virtual AA meeting for all us Purism Junkies that can’t get our fix? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15 Likes

“Hi. My name’s Bob. I’m a Libremholic…”

8 Likes

I’ve been thinking this has become an online role-playing campaign, in some freeform artistic way. The phone is just a McGuffin. Or possibly a sociology/marketing experiment on how long can a group of people be kept engaged. Could be both. Anyways, the production values and the commitment to the roles has been outstanding! :clown_face:

7 Likes

I’m not yet sure what the point is/was but I’ll add it here when I remember it. I’m sure I had one when I started to write this… :crazy_face:

Let’s make a list of all the things that have had an impact on delivery time:

• limited options for open technology in mobile: needs some serious work (“baseline”)
  • tech needs more work than estimated: push release
  • tech needs more testing and development: “the forest tactic” of releasing test versions
  • test versions had issues: at least two component problems needed to be hunted down, fixed, re-built and re-tested
  • and about that re-building and new test versions: everything gets shut down in China for a while
  • time and general world economy take their toll: less budget for people means slower progress
  • things start to move a long… but: everyone else and their cousin want the same chips too
  • mother nature gets in on the action to make things worse: drought in TW slows chipmakers down
  • global logistics are screwed: never mind the Evergreen phone, ship, or the truck being sideways, there’s the little problem of container shortage (or rather: no containers in CN because they’re stacked in ports around the world because covid), so stuff moves around slower
  • TBC - because surely there are more things that can go wrong by way of Murphy, like:
    – someone gets hit by a bus
    – DHL gets locked and grounded due to ransomware
    – chips are delivered but can only engage 4wd and open windows (small w)
    – hurricane season is only few months away
    – a tradewar and witholding of goods for a few months
    – a kaiju attack
    – a few weeks of precautionary quarantines due to familymember’s friends being idiots
    – need to build a new 5G m.2 modem since 3G and 4G don’t exist anymore
    – EOL for a component and no apparent replacement: redesign
    – a new technology makes phones useless overnight
    – (something else)

Now estimate shipping.

3 Likes

Finally, Evergreen has been unstuck all over the world: I received mine!

Backing date: 27 September 2017
Shipping announcement mail: 11 March 2021
Shipping: 24 March 2021
Arrived: 29 March 2021 (Switzerland, customs + fee: CHF 66.75)
Modem: BM818-E1
8 Likes

it arrived today
i delayed delivery by a couple of days as it was due on the 24th

Backing date: 28 September 2017
Shipping announcement mail: 11 March 2021
Shipping: 24 March 2021
Arrived: 29 March 2021 (UK customs + fee: £92.00)
Modem: BM818-E1

7 Likes

I can’t ACK this. Since a week or so there have been no further devices seen here.

Maybe the Librem5s weren’t in that shipment after all. We’ll have to wait for the next ship’s run!

1 Like

I can barely wait for it to turn into a LARP campaign. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Are ye ready to band together and storm the infamous Castle de Purism, foam sword in hand, and plunder the untold wealth of Lord Librem the 5th?

10 Likes

Purism has stated that it in part depends on their ability to be able to get the parts they need to fulfill the orders. So there may be hiccups, that is delays, and not just a lunear or better amount of the number of orders fullfilled. This has been not only afecting Purism, but an inordinate number of manufacturers of many industries all around the globe.

3 Likes

It also depends on people sharing when they receive their device. Some won’t.

5 Likes

I hope to get some information about the shipping of my phone soon. 30 September 2017 orders have been shipped a month ago, so I was almost sure to receive my order (backed Oct 1st 2017) soon as well.
[edit: my shipping estimate was / is March 22th - 26th]

1 Like

Since 18 days there have been no news here in this forum about shipped devices. My order is from October 7 2017 and I was hoping the same after September 30 was shipped. But only silence from Purism :frowning:

Puh that is more than 3 weeks. Seems like we are falling back to old patterns…

Or they are waiting for more devices to arrive. It appears that the L-14 has landed

1 Like

G o r g e o u s!

1 Like

possibly the Librem5 USA devices have priority now, and the others are continued later on ? Just speculation…

Yes, and Purism said in the post that they want to reach shipping parity for the L14 „ … as soon as possible and with the help of some overtime we have an internal goal to ship through all existing orders in May,“