Is it just me, or do these forums feel like a continuous virtual AA meeting for all us Purism Junkies that can’t get our fix?
“Hi. My name’s Bob. I’m a Libremholic…”
I’ve been thinking this has become an online role-playing campaign, in some freeform artistic way. The phone is just a McGuffin. Or possibly a sociology/marketing experiment on how long can a group of people be kept engaged. Could be both. Anyways, the production values and the commitment to the roles has been outstanding!
I’m not yet sure what the point is/was but I’ll add it here when I remember it. I’m sure I had one when I started to write this…
Let’s make a list of all the things that have had an impact on delivery time:
- limited options for open technology in mobile: needs some serious work (“baseline”)
- tech needs more work than estimated: push release
- tech needs more testing and development: “the forest tactic” of releasing test versions
- test versions had issues: at least two component problems needed to be hunted down, fixed, re-built and re-tested
- and about that re-building and new test versions: everything gets shut down in China for a while
- time and general world economy take their toll: less budget for people means slower progress
- things start to move a long… but: everyone else and their cousin want the same chips too
- mother nature gets in on the action to make things worse: drought in TW slows chipmakers down
- global logistics are screwed: never mind the Evergreen phone, ship, or the truck being sideways, there’s the little problem of container shortage (or rather: no containers in CN because they’re stacked in ports around the world because covid), so stuff moves around slower
- TBC - because surely there are more things that can go wrong by way of Murphy, like:
– someone gets hit by a bus
– DHL gets locked and grounded due to ransomware
– chips are delivered but can only engage 4wd and open windows (small w)
– hurricane season is only few months away
– a tradewar and witholding of goods for a few months
– a kaiju attack
– a few weeks of precautionary quarantines due to familymember’s friends being idiots
– need to build a new 5G m.2 modem since 3G and 4G don’t exist anymore
– EOL for a component and no apparent replacement: redesign
– a new technology makes phones useless overnight
– (something else)
Now estimate shipping.
Finally, Evergreen has been unstuck all over the world: I received mine!
Backing date: 27 September 2017 Shipping announcement mail: 11 March 2021 Shipping: 24 March 2021 Arrived: 29 March 2021 (Switzerland, customs + fee: CHF 66.75) Modem: BM818-E1
it arrived today
i delayed delivery by a couple of days as it was due on the 24th
Backing date: 28 September 2017
Shipping announcement mail: 11 March 2021
Shipping: 24 March 2021
Arrived: 29 March 2021 (UK customs + fee: £92.00)
I can’t ACK this. Since a week or so there have been no further devices seen here.
Maybe the Librem5s weren’t in that shipment after all. We’ll have to wait for the next ship’s run!
I can barely wait for it to turn into a LARP campaign.
Are ye ready to band together and storm the infamous Castle de Purism, foam sword in hand, and plunder the untold wealth of Lord Librem the 5th?
Purism has stated that it in part depends on their ability to be able to get the parts they need to fulfill the orders. So there may be hiccups, that is delays, and not just a lunear or better amount of the number of orders fullfilled. This has been not only afecting Purism, but an inordinate number of manufacturers of many industries all around the globe.
It also depends on people sharing when they receive their device. Some won’t.
I hope to get some information about the shipping of my phone soon. 30 September 2017 orders have been shipped a month ago, so I was almost sure to receive my order (backed Oct 1st 2017) soon as well.
[edit: my shipping estimate was / is March 22th - 26th]
Since 18 days there have been no news here in this forum about shipped devices. My order is from October 7 2017 and I was hoping the same after September 30 was shipped. But only silence from Purism
Puh that is more than 3 weeks. Seems like we are falling back to old patterns…
Or they are waiting for more devices to arrive. It appears that the L-14 has landed
G o r g e o u s!
possibly the Librem5 USA devices have priority now, and the others are continued later on ? Just speculation…
Yes, and Purism said in the post that they want to reach shipping parity for the L14 „ … as soon as possible and with the help of some overtime we have an internal goal to ship through all existing orders in May,“
I am encouraged by the shipping announcement of the Librem 14. I haven’t ordered one. But this announcement about the Librem 14 tells me that Purism doesn’t live or die based on how quickly they can ship out Librem 5’s.
Also, I have been extremely disappointed since late 2019 because I pre-ordered a Librem 5 in early 2019 and didn’t get it in 2019. However, that disappointment is fading now also, despite the fact that I haven’t received my Librem 5 yet.
As I read the posts in this forum about the Librem 5, I see that between now and the time that I receive my Librem 5, the software development will only get better. I was initially unhappy when I first realized that I wasn’t in the Aspen or Birch group. In retrospect, I likely wouldn’t have been happy with either of those phones. Although I would like to receive my Librem 5 today, if instead I get it three to six months from now, I might be happier with it then, than I would be if I were to receive it now. To come out of the box and go right in to my daily digital life the same day as a daily driver is more likely to happen if I get it later than sooner. So as long as I see others receiving their Librem 5’s here on this forum, I’me good for now. Maybe by the time I get my Librem 5, It’ll be more like the Samsung experience than the beta-tester experience.