Estimate your Librem 5 shipping

If they manage to resume production / shipping by October, it would probably be Q4 (optimistic) or Q1 (pesimistic) I guess.

1 Like

What? Delivery of 2020 orders in Q4 of 2021 or Q1 of 2022? I can’t believe. They have not even delivered all 2017 orders. They stopped on 1st October of 2017 orders.

3 Likes

Hi guru,

i suppose they calculate for some parts, maybe with low price differences, use some from the USA Phone. However the price calculation averts to use important parts from another source.

Think about this: When you can build some Steps now, without CPU, but have a way to test the other components with one CPU for a fast check. You could use the time to assemble some parts, check if the other components work and storage the unfinished phone.

When the Chips arrive in six month you have less steps for testing cpu and mainboards and you can finish them faster.

So i was happy about this announcement, because i think they speed up some important Step, and purism is quite sure to take that goal.

If i am wrong and it is the usual way purism produced this phones in waves and steps for Parts and components instead before too. It may not speed up that process much.

I’m an opstimist.

2 Likes

If there were a constant stream of orders starting in October 2017 and continuing to the present day then you would be correct. While only Purism knows for sure what the order rate has been like month-by-month since October 2017, I think most people would suspect that it has not been a constant stream i.e. suspect that once the initial spurt of orders (from 2017) has been delivered, the order rate after 2017 will have slowed down and hence the fulfillment process will get through orders, going by order date, much more quickly.

2 Likes

I think that a more relevant question is whether Purism wants to and has the funds on hand to pay for mass production starting in October 2021 and whether it will be able to get all the components at that time. An electronics assembler in China can churn out the entire backlog of L5 preorders in a couple weeks if Purism decides to do large batch production. I assume by October, Purism will have FCC/CE certification and should be more confident that no changes are needed for the hardware. Oh well, I can hope. :thinking:

4 Likes

Possibly not related but your message was number 333 on this thread, so we’re only half way… :wink:
There is hope!

1 Like

I hate to add to the list but: there is a small chance that the delay might get even more complicated, spectacularly near Shenchen (MSN seemed appropriate for this)…

1 Like

It’s a pin hole fuel failure. It’s news today because it happens so rarely. In the 70s it happened all the time.

Seems like they had no money for it, but this looks promising. If I had extra money laying around, I would put a grand at least.

1 Like

First I got this e-mail and almost decided to put one or two k$ into these notes, then I read the FAQ and looked up the definition of accredited investor… Looks like it’s kinda hard for ordinary people to use this opportunity legally (though I don’t know whether someone really checks the investor’s status if we speak about little amounts of investments).

1 Like

I suggest that discussion of the Convertible Note investment is better here: Purism Investment Opportunity Email

1 Like

Price-gouging and hoarding of chips in China: https://www.theregister.com/2021/08/04/china_probes_automotive_silicon_distributors/

(May be affecting supply chain.)

2 Likes

4 point 4 million US Dollars? that’s a LOT!

2 Likes

Any new updates for September? I still have not received the September email regarding if I will get my Librem 5 in October or not… But then again, since people got theirs in this month and are still getting them from 2017 and 2018, I still have to wait, I guess…

It’s great that the devices have started shipping again.

4 Likes

@amarok, what do you know you already received your L5 ages ago :smiley:

4 Likes

I want all the devs out there to get their L5s so they can start building me some new apps to use. :rofl:

9 Likes

I would love to get my hands on it and get Cutie Shell working well on it.

2 Likes

if you need it that fast just go on fiverr :brain:

1 Like

I’d recommend patience. There’s a huge set of orders placed in Oct 2017, and I’m guessing they’re still being served. And I swear I’m not obsessive just because I ordered in 2018.

You know, you can probably start work on this by downloading a QEMU image and hacking on that a bit. :stuck_out_tongue: