Evergreen for Christmas

So, when can we expect the mail asking us to choose a modem?
I ask because Purism mails tend to end up in my spam box, despite me trying to prevent this from happening. Therefor a timely heads up would be very welcome.

1 Like

Probably late Nov. according to Purism. But theyā€™ll need to know our modem choice before they do , so i really hope itā€™s sooner than later. Iā€™ve waiting almost 3 yrs. so a couple more mo. are whatever . But like the night before Christmas , that time waiting seems like an eternity.

2 Likes

Before they ship (modem choice)

I really do but: Its Pointless. It take the time it takes. Just do not get a Covid Virus!

Because doing it fast, is slower than do it right.

1 Like

I donā€™t trust my note 9 phone not to spy on me using the camera. So I put a piece of masking tape over the back side of the Otterbox, positioned and just big enough to cover the camera up. On the front side, a small piece of scotch tape does the same job. I rarely need a camera and now with the inconvenience of removing the tape, I just choose to never use the camera at all. So if Purism ships my L5 with a non-working camera that will eventually work after a firmware upgrade, Iā€™ll be ahead, especially since itā€™ll have a hardware kill switch to the camera when it eventually does work. So if the camera is the only non-working feature of the phone, I wonā€™t miss it.

5 Likes

the issue of more reviews, there are far more reviews from customers with the Pinephone showing calls and other features working, this can not really be said for the L5, until customers, and reviewers like Gardiner actually have the L5 and show calls and other features working out of the box, there are many who are skeptical about the L5.

I want more than anything for the L5 and Purism to be a huge sucess, but there has to be more customers and at length video reviews for this to happen.

what ? another vacation ? isnā€™t that supposed to be :mask: ?

I happen to have an old camper van so Iā€™ve been able to take a self-contained road trip pretty safely.

6 Likes

Hi Kyle,

Would it be possible for someone on the Purism team to film a video review / update of the Dogwood L5, which shows calls being made and recieved by the L5 from landlines & mobiles, SMS & MMS send & recieve, and a run down of everything else so far?

It would be greatly appreciated, as there are not many quality at length recent reviews.

Thank you for your time.

LinuxNew

1 Like

Could you elaborate a bit on what you are looking for? We have showed this sort of thing in shorter snippets in our videos but it sounds like you want something more than that? Are you concerned that things are faked/staged or something? I can assure you phone calls and SMS have worked for some time (MMS does not yet work).

6 Likes

Van life right? Iā€™m pretty sure you inspired Mr. Lunduke to take to the van life himself.

The idea of being able to go anywhere but be connected via Hotspot is super appealing.

Anyway enough thread derailing for me.

I bought the Librem5 in October 2017 :slight_smile: and I hope it arrives for Christmas, it would be wonderful. I donā€™t care how the camera works, the best photos come with manual cameras :-). Iā€™m interested in the computer (open source) in my pocket and calling ā€¦ (open source). Modem? Undoubtedly Gemalto :slight_smile:
Regards

1 Like

Hi Kyle,

Could the sound quality of calls made to both landlines and mobiles to and from the L5 be shown?

Could SMS to different mobiles be covered?

Can T.V shows and movie stream be shown?

Loading different browsers to show any lag?

Customers who have bought the Pinephone are posting reviews, it would be great if Purism could show a video update.

Will MMS be fixed?

and here i was imagining Kyle doing a solo with his tent bush-crafting in the wilderness :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: where i am theyā€™ve imposed restrictions against traveling from county to county INSIDE the country ā€¦ i say imposed because thereā€™s nothing legal about these sort of reforms and at some point theyā€™ve tried to modify the constitution :weary: :sweat:

See: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Frequently-Asked-Questions#311-does-the-librem-5-provide-hardware-acceleration

Eventually, but there are things that are higher priority right now. See: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Frequently-Asked-Questions#23-does-mms-multimedia-messaging-service-work

Sure video streaming can work, but this question only makes sense if you specify a particular service.

2 Likes

Any service will do, a more up to date video review is needed.

If you donā€™t mind, here is my favorite TV: https://www.arte.tv/en/ (720p50), especially on Christmas. Just because I guess ARTE is sort of better choice than reviewing https://www.servustv.com/ (1080i50 / Rec. 709) on Librem 5 (just too many pixels to be squeezed down to 720 vertical resolution).

2 Likes

Interlacedā€¦ gross.

4 Likes

So its the first of November on Sunday,

Any confirmed dates on the L5 Evergreen?

Any videos of the L5 Evergreen?

Any concrete news on the L5 Evergreen?

1 Like
3 Likes