Evergreen for Christmas

If they are shipping Evergreen in a few weeks, then why are there no video reviews or solid info for the Evergreen batch??

This question is not clear and seems to me that is in fact to questions:

You mean reviews made by techs sites to whom we might send review units?

We will start shipping Evergreen in mid November as we said here:

This information is still current.

As for what new software features it might have, we are working every day on software improvements to the librem 5, that can be seen in our git repos. Yes we can make summaries of the software updates at a later point.

9 Likes
  1. Are there any Evergreen reviews at all, is Evergreen actually ready yet?

2. What is the estimated shipping date in November?

3. Mid November is in roughly 10 working days, is the Evergreen actually able to ship by then?

1. Evergreen hasnā€™t shipped yet

2. November 15

3. They said and still say theyā€™ll ship mid-Novembee

The moral of the story is: you canā€™t have the answers to any of your questions because nobody has the phone yet. Youā€™re just gonna have to chill.

4 Likes

this november has 30 days in total so with any ā€˜luckā€™ weā€™ll read about it in time if any delays are to be expected ā€¦ Evergreen is supposed to be the final ā€˜market-readyā€™ revision so if there are showstoppers this late in the game ā€¦

1 Like

Has anyone in the Evergreen batch received a query about a modem choice? I would assume some time would be needed prior to shipment to account for those selections. Just curious as I havenā€™t gotten such an email yet.

3 Likes

The only thing I havenā€™t seen working yet is the camera. Though, for me, as long as the camera will work Iā€™m happy. I understand, though, that if the camera driver/software isnā€™t ready yet, there may be a delay.

1 Like

I canā€™t chill Gavaudan, Itā€™s almost Christmas, :blush:

How can anyone chill when the L5 evergreen is almost here?

2 Likes

then donā€™t chill :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To be fair, Iā€™m this close to frothing at the mouth myself, so I get that itā€™s hard to chill at this stage in the gameā€¦

The camera might not be ready in time but Iā€™d rather get the phone and have a software update fix it later, I am ok with that. Same thing with GPS and MMS. But I know both are being worked on so it will come in time. Beyond those three things the phone is pretty much ready for my own needs.

Iā€™m sure Purism might not be able to share if any review units exist or have been sent out yet, but I for sure expect to see an Evergreen review from Gardiner Bryant in the next month or so.

2 Likes

A review from Gardiner would be great

2 Likes

when reviewing the L5 please donā€™t froth at the mouth or else weā€™re gonnaā€™ have a lot of bad press at /reddit/Purism :wink:

6 Likes

So if Purism is gearing up to start shipping the Evergreen batch in just a few weeks from now, does that mean that all Dogwood phones have already shipped and that the Dogwood batch is done and closed? I know that Purism doesnā€™t like to release numbers, but does anyone know roughly how many Dogwood phones shipped?

I am guessing that if Dogwood was the biggest batch so far and if they shipped fifty phones, that the Evergreen batch could go quite differently. If (and I am guessing about the number of potential Evergreen phones too), there are five to ten thousand Evergreen phones that need to be shipped, perhaps it could take a year or more to hand assemble and ship all of them. Is Purism banking on shipping just enough Evergreen phones to prime the pump for more sales, with a plan to pay for the rest of the Evergreen phones with sales of the Fir version? I imagine that eventually the supply will catch up with the demand. When enough people here have a Librem 5 and everyone is saying good things about it, that the future demand may prove itself, after which Purism shouldnā€™t have a problem financing the mass production of them enough to catch up with the demand. Is this likely to be like a dam bursting, or more like the small trickle of a slow moving stream?

2 Likes

Kyle Rankinā€™s response to that question seems to indicate that Purism wonā€™t take that long to ship out all the Evergreen orders.

It will cost less per unit, if Purism does all the manufacturing in one batch, rather than in multiple smaller batches. If Purism can raise the funds for 1 manufacturing batch of Evergreen, I think that is the route that Purism will take. The recent hiring of 2 software devs and advertising for a third dev indicates to Purism is doing better financially, so Iā€™m more optimistic.

One reason to be less optimistic, however, is that the cameras arenā€™t yet working, so if Purism ships Evergreen in its current state, it will generate fewer new sales than if everything is working. For this reason, I thought Purism would delay some more, but all indications are that Purism really is planning on shipping before the end of the year. On the other hand, the order page still says that if you order now, it will arrive in 6 months, so maybe Purism is planning one batch for all the diehards that ordered years ago, and a later batch for the more recent orders.

5 Likes

Do people even really use SMS let alone MMS these days? Doesnā€™t seem like a very secure or private form of communication for a phone that is catering specifically to that caveat. It seems equally weird for the type of crowd that the phone appeals to, to want those things as well.

2 Likes

2disbetter, that is a very good & valid point, however you canā€™t really sell a ā€œphoneā€ without being able to receive cellular calls, and send and receive SMS & MMS, smartphones are computers that fit in your pocket, but as a ā€œphoneā€ it should be able to do all the functions of a phone.

I disagree. A phone today needs only to make phone calls and have a data connection. Software permits it to do everything else one would want.

Of course, I will acknowledge that my use cases is not everyones.

I just donā€™t understand the the foaming at the teeth for SMS and MMS. Two very insecure and privacy lacking forms of communication.

1 Like

This is true to some extent. However there are situations where SMS even though less secure than other options may be required for 2fa, also people should have the choice of using SMS & MMS.

Although I agree mostly with your point.

3 Likes

In some countries (eg Greece) data connections are expensive. SMS are still better here. Unfortunately. You have to pay minimum 25 euros for 2 Gb data+300 minutes calling time and some hundred SMS. Most people do not do that. They buy a 10euro program that gives them 300 minutes calling time plus a couple of Gb but only for 15 days! It also includes many SMS. So people still use SMS. SMS has one more advantage in general. We do not have to agree what service we use. I use matrix. Another person uses telegram etc. SMS is universal. This is the advantage.

Other than that, I agree with you that sms is not a good solution

1 Like

SMS is far more reliable in many parts of the world than sending an internet message via Whatsapp, Telegram, Signal, etc, because many people havenā€™t bought data, so they are less likely to receive internet messages, whereas they will always receive an SMS. In Bolivia where I live, most people donā€™t have monthly plans. They buy a card off a street vendor to add more credit to their account, when they want to make a phone call and many configure their phones to only use the internet through WiFi, because allowing the phone to use cellular data is too expensive.

1 Like