Fan full blast after sleep, coreboot and Intel ME

I had the same issue. For me updating from coreboot 4.7-Purism-4 to 4.8.1-Purism-2 helped a lot.

Before the update the CPU dropping down to 400 and the fan going full speed happened after almost every wake up from sleep. And I had to power off and reboot.
After the update it only happens very rarely (about 1 in 20 times so far) and if it does all I have to do is close the lid, wait for the fans to stop and open the lid again.

Same here, about 5% of the time.

Finally back from my extended trip. The problem is still there after upgrading to
coreboot 4.8.1-Purism-3; cannot yet confirm the ‘statistics’ by others.

As far as I can tell,
this issue is spread over (at least) three threads; so I’ll link here to the other ones …

https://forums.puri.sm/t/librem-15-pureos-becomes-sluggish-after-closing-opening-lid

https://forums.puri.sm/t/purism-power-optimisations-service-fails-after-recent-update

https://forums.puri.sm/t/cpu-fan-stuck-at-high-speed-sometimes/

I would still hope that someone from puri.sm connects these threads and provides
official updates.

I can only report that I added the proprietory Intel firmware, but this had no effect on
the frozen frequency / fan full blast issue.

Best,

Stefan

1 Like

I still have the same issue as well.
It seems to happen ~90% of the time when I’ve put my laptop to sleep while plugged in.

boot.log contains:
[FAILED] Failed to start Power/battery optimisations for Purism devices.
See ‘systemctl status purism-power-optimisations.service’ for details.

coreboot 4.8.1-Purism-3. Also ran an apt-get full-upgrade this morning and am running kernel 4.17.0-3-amd64

Issue still happens. CPU is slow (seems limited), and fan goes full speed.

Anecdotally it seems to happen more when the power adapter is plugged in than when just on battery, but it still happens in both scenarios.

Putting the laptop back to sleep and waking again resolves the issue every time.

Does anyone have a workaround? Any update from Purism on this issue?

Thanks!

1 Like

I also can confirm these symptoms.

CPU throttled, full fan operation. Closing the lid (sleep) solves it about the same time the LCD back light turns off. Waking up to normal operation.

4.15.0-33

I still get the issue but I think that’s bc the components need time to warm up (physically) as after a while when it’s not so cold it works fine

I have had this issue in the past on my Librem 15v3, but it seemed to resolve itself over time. (I was probably closing the lid and didn’t realize that was the solution.) I haven’t had the issue in awhile, but it happened again today and found this thread after a reboot did not resolve the issue. When I ran systemctl status purism-power-optimisations.service, it showed an active status, so there was nothing more to do there. I was happy to find this thread with the suggestion to close the lid but I’m hopeful that the Librem team will figure out another solution to this.

Have the same issue. If sombedy know what service or kernel part is responsible for that thing I can take a look on code.

I also still have the full-fan-after-sleep issue after upgrading the coreboot to coreboot-4.8.1-7-g30300027ce-4.8.1-Purism-3.

Is there an official bug for this issue?

So it’s August 2019 and I’ve been through multiple Ubuntu versions on my Librem 13 version 2 laptop, currently running Ubuntu 19.04. All of these versions (18.04, 18.10, 19.04) for at least the past year have had this problem where perhaps 10% of the times that I open the laptop and rouse it from sleep, the fan starts blowing at top speed and the operating system behaves very sluggishly. It only stops when I completely power it down; a restart is not sufficient.

Am I the only one still affected by this? Has anyone found a solution in the past year?

I just received my laptop this week as well. Librem 15v4 and so far the fan has gone crazy like yours but I just figured it was because I was running a Virtual Machine in Gnome Boxes. (My poor ears…that noise is annoying)

Biggest issue is that after the first reboot Lux was broken claiming too many bad password attempts.

Did all the stuff you will find in the forum. Waiting on my Key and PureOS usb to reimage. Hopefully it works. I will likely tinker for a bit with this OS as I do like it however, I just need things to be encrypted and work so I will likely switch to Parrot OS or Trisquel until I receive the rest of my order to try and fix this.

Growing pains of wanting a linux laptop I suppose. At least we are all in this together so they may resolve these issues more quickly. I wonder if v2 or v3 is experiencing the same issues though.

Update before hitting reply…the Fan appears to have just shut off…Thank you NSA :slight_smile:

Other than that I like the form factor, keyboard, weight, wish it were white or silver so that it would not make collecting my fingerprints super easy.

Currently hunting for PureOS hardening guide. So far found a Debian How To but this Distro is growing on me.

1 Like

I am affected by this from day one (Librem 13v3, a bit over a year old now). I am running PureOS, keeping it updated, and updating the firmware regularly. Nothing seems to make a difference.

That being said, it now happens much less frequently than during the first weeks.

I still don’t use the laptop regularly, in part because of the fan issue. I did use it constantly during a conference trip for a week, and the fan acted up exactly once.

Good luck,
Stefan

Nope and nope. :wink: It affects me as well. I estimate 1 of 5 wake from sleeps hits the fan bug for me. But I can “fix” it nearly every time by putting it back to sleep and waking it back up again. No solutions yet. I just got an email this week from Support stating there is not fix (yet).

Thank you for the lol’s :smile:

I have an Librem 13v4 with Ubuntu 18.04 installed. At least for me running systemctl suspend or sudo systemctl suspend will replicate the issue about half the time (cpu at 400mhz, and fans blowing despite low temps). Rerunning typically fixes the issue.

I rarely have experience the issue otherwise but I use the power button to suspend the device, so I am wondering if perhaps the closing the lid is executing a different command than pressing power button.

1 Like

Maybe this issue happens because MSR registers reset after resuming from sleep? I limited my CPU temperature to 65 C using thermal throttling feature, and after resuming from sleep target temperature alvays reset to original value (95 C).

Also, some registers retain the value after resuming from sleep. For example, my custom power limit don’t reset after sleep.

2 Likes

I think these “strange registers” may well be a good lead. Wasn’t there a recent Windows 10 update that caused similar issues on some laptops??

1 Like

I’ve seen this behavior on my Librem 15 (that the fan goes full blast and performance slows).

For me it seems to correlate with switching between wired and WiFi. I’ll close the cover, unplug the USB Ethernet and the power (not necessarily in that order), then when I open the cover at a cafe, I get the symptoms. It happens less often when going from WiFi to wired.

Specifically, this (almost?) never happens in the course of opening and closing my Librem while it’s connected to power and wired 'net and in airplane mode—which is the usual way that I use it, like a desktop machine.

1 Like

Edit: Okay, the fan bug triggered for me just a bit ago. But at least the change away from Wayland+Gnome made the bug apparently much much more rare. i can deal with once every few weeks.

It has been a few weeks now where I have not seen this bug recur for me.
The only thing I’ve correlated to it going away was that I switched to Xorg+dwm as my desktop instead of the standard Wayland+Gnome.
It doesn’t quite make sense to me that something in Wayland+Gnome could be causing a cpu throttling bug on wake, but that seems to be my experience at least.