First week in with my Librem 14 (Thoughts from a Casual Linux User)

Thanks! Never had FN key.

How good is wifi in terms of distance from router?

In past Purism laptops I had noted that this was poor. As I’m weighing up a fully tricked up L14 it must have decent wifi range.

If you could post about this I’d appreciate it. I did start a separate thread asking this a while back but it didn’t get a reply so I’m hoping this time to get some insight.

1 Like

It looks like it’ll be an easy swap, is cheap, and the kill switch will continue to work from what I can tell. I think it depends on whether you want 5Ghz or are willing to put up with an older 2.4Ghz standard

Only two weeks of use but it seems my Librem 14 is as good or better than my old System 76. I’m picking up WIFI sources I did not see on old LapTops. Seems reception is very good.

7 Likes

Thanks for the reply. That is great news. There has been issues reported with earlier models and dreadful reception so this sounds like a major improvement.

I’m up for an L14 as soon as I’m sure these blobs of solder have disappeared and the board is intact, so to speak.

1 Like

It might be a good idea to start a new conversation to get an idea of when the motherboard will be without solder. Unfortunately I don’t count on purism to tell us about it.

1 Like

But why is it important? Purism provides one additional year of warranty for the soldered part.

Because I don’t enjoy returning products that cost me $2000 in the mail. Not to mention the added inconvenience of having to watch out for extra customs fee$ that I will have already paid for and having to deal with them for refund. I simply prefer waiting for a product has been proven stable before I consume it. Less trouble.

2 Likes

I would say the longer warranty means that Purism is sure that there will be no problems.

1 Like

Here to second this. That’s exactly what that communicates. In my opinion - soldered or no, it either works or doesn’t. And in my view this is a blemish not a functional failure. Perhaps I missing something but where I grew up, soldering was a fine solution to a problem. And soldered components would last for years.

This feels like a vanity issue. Not that anything is wrong with vanity. I just do not think it’s wise to conflate functional issues with aesthetic ones.

Am I missing something here ?

2 Likes

mine seems to have quite terrible wifi reception. Of all devices in the house (including my 13-year old netbook) librem 14 is the one with worst reception…
Anything you did to strengthen it?
I don’t even have wifi on my Librem 14 in my home office :joy: so I could use some advice.

The right way to do that is via law, not regulation.

It’s worth opening it up and switching out the wifi card if you’re willing to do the work and feel comfortable replacing parts. I didn’t find it that hard and you can buy a decent wifi card for under $30 on Newegg. I bought this one myself - https://www.newegg.com/fenvi-ax200ngw-pcie-half-mini-card-m-2/p/0XM-00JK-00064 and it’s been fantastic with my Librem 14 running elementary OS

… and you don’t mind compromising on the ‘purity’ of the software (i.e. you may have to install blackbox drivers and/or firmware).

3 Likes

I agree, and to your point as stated by someone else here, PureOS does not work out the gate with some of these intel AX WiFi cards, so it’s not just downloading the driver. Not for everyone, but using it with ElementaryOS on my Librem14 I am fine with the compromise for the significantly better WiFi reception.

Thanks Gordito for the advice. However I don’t feel comfortable enough yet to do this kind of work with my brand new laptop :slight_smile:
Maybe in the future, so I’ll keep it in mind.
And I’m also not ready to give up the ‘purity’ that kieran is referring to.
I kinda solved it with an ethernet cable, so for now my ‘irritation’ is delayed untill I’m somewhere without cable and cannot connect to wifi when needed. Then I might read into the Newegg wifi card again :wink:

3 Likes