Flashing Crimson

@FranklyFlawless I am trying to install Crimson using the instructions you provided

I’m getting an error message
./scripts/librem5-flash-image --skip-download --dir ./
2024-04-06 15:02:39 INFO Looking for librem5r4 luks byzantium image
2024-04-06 15:02:51 ERROR No matching image found

I’ve done the previous steps. I’ve extracted the librem5r4.img file into the folder ‘librem5-flash-image’ and moved the ‘u-boot-librem5.imx’ file to the same location. I’m running the script from in the librem5-flash-image folder. What could I be missing?

2 Likes

Only skip the download if you
a) successfully downloaded the right image previously, and
b) did not delete it after flashing.

@FranklyFlawless is probably better able to give you an exact current procedure for flashing crimson.

2 Likes

Nothing. The script is calling on the Jenkins API, but because no new successful images are being built, the script fails.

./scripts/librem5-flash-image --debug

It was working fine when I reflashed a few days ago, so I assume there is some window where the script is able to work regardless of the API’s state.

@dos

1 Like

For info the Jenkins page with the “Image Builds” for “Image Builds landing”:
https://arm01.puri.sm/job/Images/job/Image%20Builds%20landing/

1 Like

What I am missing from the “flashers/users” of crimson is

WHAT does work and what not in the build librem5r4

ATM I only know that the camera does not work in Crimson?

TIA

Uwe

1 Like

Wait until images are being built on Jenkins, then after overcoming the “u-boot blues”, use the instructions I provided.

1 Like

Thanks, I hadn’t thought of trying the --debug. I tried again, and maybe something cleared up but it worked.

With the --debug though I noticed even though I used the --skip-download flag, it still tries to download? This seems counter-intuitive. But, a you mention @FranklyFlawless , if the API at Jenkins has issues at times, wouldn’t it be better if when the --skip-download flag is used, that it bypasses trying to go to the website?

I did use the --stable flag. not sure if that made a difference this time. Here is the command that worked for me this time:
./scripts/librem5-flash-image --skip-download --stable --dir ./ --debug

2 Likes

The script has online functionalities, so --skip-download does not stop it from attempting to query images via HTTPS anyways. --stable fetches Byzantium from storage.puri.sm by default, which is different from Jenkins. I assume your command worked because the script only checks for a valid URL to resolve to, then processes other arguments/flags after.

1 Like

interesting to learn this, thx! I did co firm with lsb_release -d that I have pureos 11 crimson.

Another question, my eMMC is not encrypted? is that normal? I didn’t have option? And I can’t seem to do it now?

2 Likes

Correct, the image from Jenkins is not built with LUKS.

1 Like

ok, good to know.

overall things are running well. I did a restore from backup. I will try this as a daily driver for a couple days and report back on the other thread.

thanks for your help!

3 Likes

In addition to what @FranklyFlawless said … with byzantium there are two disk images - one with LUKS and one without. You choose with an argument to the script which you want and I believe it defaults to LUKS. However at this time Purism is not offering crimson with LUKS (as crimson has not been officially released yet).

If you are motivated and sophisticated … because it is just a disk image, you could retrofit LUKS to the crimson disk image after downloading and before flashing.

1 Like

I was contemplating that, but it would be a stretch for my skills I think. More so, that I just don’t have much time with me day job.

I think also, this is a minor thing for Purism to add. I can see keeping filesystems unencrypted as it is being tested. Makes it easier to debug, etc. I had been thinking of using Crimson as a daily driver so that it would be easier to transition to the released version when that arrives. i’ve just had crimson for the day, but it works really well in my opinion. Suspend, resume from suspend, the modem works well, calls, texting, FF is really smooth, etc. I can see what Guido was saying in another thread, it really wouldn’t take much work to clean up the remaining pieces and get it out the door (the camera being the biggest issue still). I really feel like I can use crimson as a daily driver. My requirements are not high though. So, I am intrigued at Purism’s perspective on holding back or slowing down to release crimson given the other discussion threads on this topic.

For now, I can handle a few days of no LUKS to test it out as a daily driver. It’s really easy to flash back to byzantium of needed.

3 Likes

Easier transition in terms of functionality and behaviour, and the like - however the plain (unencrypted) disk image will likely mean that you will have to reflash when crimson is officially released with an encrypted variant if you do want the encrypted variant.

For me, for a portable device, it really should use the encrypted variant but, OK, for a few days of daily driver testing you can risk it.

2 Likes

Nobody uses it on an regular base and can comment about or even my questions?

1 Like

Better topic for that: Crimson Experience

2 Likes