Folder Sharing - Service not installed

“Sharing service not installed”
Message: You need to install the Windows networks sharing service in order to share your folders.
Don’t see any software yet to resolve this.

1 Like

Is smb installed? sudo apt install smb in terminal.

1 Like

I am new. Ran “sudo apt install smb” = “unable to locate package.” Probably need more info (steps). Will look for smb…

Note: I am seeing the Librem’s “media” and can access. Cannot see shared folders.

1 Like

It’s smbclient actually (not smb), I apologize for misinformation.

1 Like

My Primary machine for the problem is a Purism, PureOS, trying to connect to a Windows8 laptop. Since I couldn’t figure out the ‘smb’ situation, I tried some other things. I did get it working, but not exactly clear why. I will check out the “smbclient,” but if you can see it, tell me if there’s something else here I’m missing…(thanx in advance)

I installed the System Menu, which gave me the “system preferences” option to “settings>sharing” (or Activities>Applications>Settings>Sharing) and activated the File and Media sharing items (set to ‘On’ with the right Network). In that box, ‘Media sharing’ allows you to add folders even though I thought ‘file sharing’ would give functionality to the ‘folder’s >sharing-options’ if you went directly to the folder—but it doesn’t. I’m not sure if adding my folder, “Testshare,” in the ‘Media sharing’ option helped anything or not (it didn’t hurt).

Had to use static routes on both machines for them to talk (they were on the same /16 bit network, but with DHCP the third octet didn’t line up–they didn’t like that; and the router is ‘closed’). A couple of reboots and some Windows8 “workgroup” tweaking on the 2nd machine, and it worked out.

BUT NOTE: If I go into ‘HOME’ and create a “testshare” folder for sharing (as I did), I can add it in the ‘Media Sharing’ window from ‘Settings>Sharing,’ but it doesn’t get rid of the original error I had going to the folder itself, right-click “Sharing Options,” “Share this Folder” chkbox. I still get the error “Sharing Service not installed…” even though I’m moving files back and forth all day!

So, I guess that’s a glitch, or I’m cheating somehow. If you believe it might still be an “smbclient” potential malfunction I’d like to try to get rid of the error. But again, the error only prevents completion of the individual folder sharing option. The folder, “testshare,” shows up in Win8 and PureOS anyway.
??? It’s fixed but it’s not fixed ???

1 Like

“Sharing service not installed”
I wish to revive this topic for I have the same exact problem and no definite solution as been presented. Hopefully some new ideas may pop. In my particular case I cannot even see any sign of my PureOs computer in my Windows7 desktop. Nor do I see my Win7 in PureOS. I can Ping back and forth succesfully and I can see my Windows Network in PureOS, yet no shared folder appear nor available. If I try to define a folder as “Shared” in PureOS I get this error “Sharing service not installed”. There surely is a solution to this problem. Thanks to anyone who brings a solution. I’ve been searching the Web for hours with no success. If I run> sudo apt install smbclient< PureOS inform that the package is already installed. (Version 2:4.9.5+dfsg-5+deb10u1). In Files > +Other Locations > Networks > I can see “Windows Network” but nothing is visible from the Win7 computer, nor do I see my Win7 computer in PureOS. ???

Problem solved. see: Sharing service not installed
for a long solution