German Keyboard for Librem 13 and 15

Are you going to offer german keyboard layouts for Librem 13 and Librem 15 in near future?

5 Likes

Sorry, not in the “near” future. But if interest rises more we might be able to do so for the next batch the batch after that. The limiting factor is the MOQ we have at the factory which is several hundred and we currently did not have that many.

Cheers
nicole

1 Like

Would it be feasible to offer a “key lid kit” (in lack of a better term) that would allow one to manually change the key lids to German (or even other languages?)
This way, the MOQ problem could probably be avoided !?

1 Like

If you can get the model of keyswitch from them, you might also be able to find them on your own if they can’t offer something like this

I really like the purism hardware and would love to buy a Librem 13 or 15, but I also need German keyboard layout. A friend of mine owns a Librem 13 - so I was able to feel and test ist - but he also complains about the keyboard layout. I understand the MOQ problem but I think you underestimate the importance of a proper keyboard layout in the process of choosing a notebook. I study computer science and know some (lots of) people who sympathize with the philosophy and hardware of Purism. But for almost all the missing German layout is a dealbraker. You don’t want to spend ~1500 bucks on a device you can not use properly. It is so sad. Librem 13 and 15 are almost the perfect hardware for me but the keyboards are a no go. :frowning:

4 Likes

@nicole.faerber, may I suggest to setup a “enter your email here if you want to be notified about the availability of a German keyboard” field, maybe here, but especially on https://www.floss-shop.de/de/hardware/ ?
I mean, right in this thread there you have 4 Germans talking about keyboards :wink:
Maybe the critical mass can be achieved faster by actually asking potential customers and not hoping everybody who wants one will contact support!? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi,
we will see if we can arrange such an email opt-in or similar. Thank you for your interest and good thinking!

Cheers
nicole

4 Likes

I would be interested too in a (Swiss)-German keyboard layout.

As far as I know the Librem 15 is based on a Clevo model. Unfortunately I can’t find it any more. There for I believe it would be possible to source key caps.

4 Likes

+1 for a german keyboard
Well, still far from several hundred, but I hope, the demand will start to grow :slight_smile:

Also, I would love to see options for more RAM (32GB) and CPU cores (4) in the near future.

And, you simply rock!

Cheers,
Markus

3 Likes

I’d like to see a german keyboard too (for Librem 13)

2 Likes

Just registered to say that I also need a german keyboard. I had the chance to test a Librem 13 (with us layout) and I can say that this is definitely the linux laptop of my dreams. But I really need a german layout. I’ll check your website periodically for updates on this topic.

3 Likes

I’d also like to have a german keyboard and 32 gb ram in the librem 15!
When are there revisions with 32 gig again?

greez

1 Like

+1 german keyboard AND 32GB RAM.

4 Likes

From what i can see for the photos and statement made by purism they are not licensing a clevo system. However, I did just see a review from ETAPrime on YouTube of a system from ALPHA (Centurion Nano) that looks almost identical to the Librium other that the color of the anadasation. please do not go directly to the Alpha site it is triggering a Trojan warning on my host pc. give the video a look. I am tying to track down who Alpha is using as OEM.

3 Likes

another +1 for a german keyboard (Librem 15)

4 Likes

found another older topic about asking for international keyboard layouts for librem, there is some discussion going on about it, not only focused on the 11“ as the title might suggest:

just wanted to share, as it adds a few more votes :wink:
Take care
Markus

2 Likes

me too, +1 for a German keyboard or a changeable e-ink/LED keyboard

3 Likes

another +1 for german keyboard layout

hey, please have a look at the nice intl. keyboard layout poll:

Hi,
I want to express my interest in german keyboard on lbrem13 too.

Maybe a kickstarter campaign is in order?

That way we can make a more solid commitment and you can minimize your financial risk.

1 Like