Ghosted after refund request, what now?

Also the OP placed his order somewhere in june or july of 2019 if the OP’s mind serves him correctly. The OP doesn’t understand the renewed interest in his post from September 2023, but has now selected an official answer to his initial question.

1 Like

The reason is that there is a limit of 1 Librem 5 refund topic and that one and only topic is this topic. Another topic sprung up and all the posts in that new topic were merged into this topic. So expect more “renewed interest” in the future. If that is bugging you, it may help for you to mute the topic.

3 Likes

It would seem that the damage from the Rossman video (Purism ghosts Librem 5 customer, lies about refund policy - avoid this horrible company) still extends to this day. This is a snippet from the Think Penguin Matrix chat room (Room: https://matrix.to/#/#penguin-chat:matrix.lrn.fm). I’m not aware of Purism making any claims about getting source code from Nvidia or Intel.

Direct link to messages (messages copied below): https://matrix.to/#/!IjaXDZcUJdKgWHLukk:matrix.lrn.fm/$efbDOSryVFN31WZFJlhP-D4GNXuYg9VtNRb3OAElYK8?via=matrix.lrn.fm&via=matrix.org&via=meowchat.xyz

tom @06:22
mr.penguin: Hi. Thank you very much for the detailed answer. Your answers are very informative.
As for Libreboot, I agree with you, but now there is GnuBoot and as far as I know Jason (Trisquel) uses ASUS D-16. One of my friends tried to build it and had a lot of difficulties and eventually installed Coreboot on D-16.
I asked because I’m planning to replace my desktop PC and looking for options, what I found today, below are examples, write your opinion:

1. Assemble it yourself using ASUS D-16 (GnuBoot)
  2. Libreboot 9020 MT with Intel i7-4790k (Libreboot)
  3. Librem Mini (PureBoot)
  4. NitroPC Pro 2 or NitroPC 1 (like Librem Mini) | Coreboot
  5. https://shop.3mdeb.com/shop/dasharo-supported-hardware/msi-pro-z790-p-wifi-ddr5-motherboard-with-dasharo-entry-subscription/ (Coreboot)
  6. I looked at Librem Mini and NitroPC 1 with the same motherboard, for example NVISEN MU02 has the same one, you can install Coreboot on it instead of BIOS.NVISEN MU02 Mini PC Intel i7-1065G7 Quad Core 1.3GHz to 3.9GHz 16GB 5 – Minixpc Perhaps there are other options…

mr.penguin @12:40
The (3) item in your list I would recommend avoiding. Not talking about what it might be based around so much as Purism. I would recommend avoiding anything from Purism more generally. The guy behind it is very sketchy, lies, manipulates, and is bordering if not committing actual fraud. There has been a bit of mainstream reporting, but even that is only the tip of the iceberg. Here is just one example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKegmu0V75s but the guys made absurd claims from being able to get source code from NVIDIA and Intel to being the “freest” computers when in fact it was the farthest thing from the truth. I mean, it’s not the first time I’ve seen companies take credit for or re-brand software etc but this was the sort of thing where he was crossing over that line or at least getting so close to it that it was absolutely disgusting.

2 Likes

Hello, I ordered a Librem5 on 2 June 2019. After there was a possibility of delivery (probably sometime in 2022), I decided against it and requested a refund. About a year ago I was already in contact with the support regarding the refund. But after 2 or 3 emails, I received no more replies. I have now tried again and have not received a reply from support for more than a week. Is it really possible that the support no longer gets in touch and ghosted me? I would be happy to get my money back after more than 5 years. Is that normal?

2 Likes

@JCS will address your issues and concerns.

Thank you for your answer. Do you know what the next steps are? Does it make sense to write to Support again?

1 Like

If your latest email has not been converted into a GitLab support ticket, feel free to compose another reply. What should happen is that you receive an automated reply from GitLab. Once that step has been completed, wait patiently until you receive a response from Purism support and/or @JCS acknowledges your original post in this thread.

Ok, thank you. I have received the GitLab ticket. Now I’ll wait and hope that it can be done soon.

1 Like

I don’t want to be impatient, but is it normal that I get no answer at all? Have others had this experience and if so, have they been successful in the end?

1 Like

No.

@JCS

Yes and yes.

What else can I do?

1 Like

Read about others’ refund stories on the Purism community forums.