GNU Jami (Signal/WhatsApp/Telegram replacement)

GNU Jami (Signal/WhatsApp/Telegram replacement)
animation-home-android

Being a piece of GNU software Jami falls inline with the Purism philosophy of using free (freedom) software. The distributed universal and secure Free Software for multimedia communications by Savoir-faire Linux and the GNU community. The website states that Jami is…, “Designed for the general public as well as the industry, Jami aims to provide all of its users a universal communication tool, free, secure [End-toEnd Encryption by default] and built on a distributed architecture requiring no authority nor central server to operate.” And since this is already cross-platform, having Jami on all devices and form factors is already possible. And finally another thing that maybe important to users is that Jami does not require a phone number or email address to create an account. Just create a user name, using your name is optional. This would seem to fit right in with Purism & the Librem 5. Your thoughts anyone?

Jami on Mastadon (Librem Social accessible)

Discover [Mentions Encryption]
https://jami.net/discover/
Features
https://jami.net/features/
Video calls
video-call

Creating a Jami Account

16 Likes

I like Jami, i just don’t know how much mature the software is. Plus, the usual problem: nobody uses it. I’d rather go for Jami on the Librem 5, but for now it’s a niche application.

3 Likes

Jami, is also very compelling from a engineering perspective. I remember Bittorrent tried briefly to create their own chat system. It was a completely decentralized system. I remember the app was called Bleep.

Jami is doing something similar. It is completely decentralized and P2P. No central server is used.

I’ve wanted to dig into the codebase and see how they are doing contact discovery.

Anyway, I’ve talked briefly with the developer, and I would support this with no problems.

11 Likes

If i remember correctly, there is some necessary centralized server side stuff to be done, for the bootstrap process at least. But it is true that they try to keep it as much decentralised as possible. That’s why i like it.

I already tried it and looked a bit around for information about the proxy server needed for mobile usage. Did anybody try, yet, to run her/his own?

I would think this would be ideal. Since many consider Linux niche, and then the Librem 5 OS (Phosh) is niche, so then what better solution? Keep in mind that all of the Librem One services can also be called niche yet many were quick to start using them. All pieces of software start off with no one using them, until someone starts too. If Jami fits inline with the ethos of Purism, GNU, and the Librem 5, why not give it a shot? Why not reach out to the Jami team and see what they think? I’m not sure how mature the software is but if the Purism & Jami communities were to start to communicate, maybe a collaboration between both communities would be mutually beneficial.

5 Likes

Hi. I am a core dev of Jami and also the maintainer of the GNU/Linux client.

Personnal:
I didn’t have any librem 5 and I still wait to get one, but I watch the project.

Jami view:

21 Likes

@AmarOk1412
I hope you will be able to demonstrate Jami working on the Librem 5.
Would anyone at Jami be willing to work on this at all?
Would it not make it easier to make Jami into a Flatpak?
I know this is the direction PureOS wants to go.

@Seven

I hope too.

• Would anyone at Jami be willing to work on this at all?

Want and can are two different things. This depends on a lot of factors like time, resources, priorities.

• Would it not make it easier to make Jami into a Flatpak?

In fact, a flatpak (not maintained, bugguy and without the daemon, but it was a WIP made by someone) does exists, (https://github.com/flathub/net.jami.Jami) and I quickly tried to fix it (https://github.com/flathub/net.jami.Jami/pull/8). On desktop, the only problem I have is the video unavailable (thx udev in flatpak). Need a lot of cleaning + digging about video and for now I can’t give time on that point
Also I know that flatpak doesn’t really handle dbus (operations like starting an app via a signal), so there will be some hack.
Even someone started to do a snap. So whatever PureOS wants to go, packaging is possible (but needs packagers)

1 Like

@AmarOk1412
This already seems like something very real can come from this versus getting Signal or any other application going. If you ever got a devkit or Librem 5 of your own, would it be possible to run a Jami demo on it? That alone may stir of up, not only interest, but bring others who are willing to contribute… maybe even crowdfund the development of Jami. Any thoughts?

1 Like

@AmarOk1412 So what’s the status of offline messages?

I used it before when password wasn’t possible to set and now I can’t use my account anymore I just made a new one to try it and I think they should do something like this in the source code
find ./ -type f -exec sed -i 's/Ring/Jami/g' {} \;
Because you can still seeing the old name in Android(fdroid) and Gnome(Ubuntu) ones

@AmarOk1412
I noticed that on Flathub someone seems to have published Jami in Flatpak.
https://flathub.org/apps/details/net.jami.Jami
Maybe the Flathub Maintainers.

Maybe you can collaborate with them and maybe improve the flatpak and even optimize for the Librem 5 in the process?

1 Like

don’t have the time to answer to all for now. I will do it tomorrow. But just for the last post.

@Seven look my answer, I already started to debug/update the package (I repost the link here: https://github.com/flathub/net.jami.Jami/pull/8)

2 Likes

Thanks for your answers.
One quick question: is Jami going to have an official forum? I had a problem myself using the desktop application and i could have liked a common place to ask questions to other Jami users, i believe a forum page on the main website is really missing.
I like Jami, hopefully more people will start to use it!

2 Likes

I searched a while for any description of the relationship between Jami and Clients based on the Tox protocol. I found that Jami uses VoIP and Tox not, but that’s about it.

Both a based on DHT, both are used in the wild. What is the relationship between the two of them in your point of view?

1 Like

Is the similarities between Jami and Nextcloud Talk (Spreed) just appearances and not the inner workings?
(Asking for a friend :flushed:)

@AmarOk1412 If you want imput about this you can also join the Librem 5 apps community room on matrix:

#community-librem-apps:talk.puri.sm and meet some of the folk also working with libhandy

6 Likes

I like Jami and I appreciate the way this software works. The idea to make a decentralized app with the possibility to pair multiple clients for one user seems really good.

Unfortunately desktop app seems to be practically useless (It can’t be paired effectively with the Android’s one) and the app drains the battery very quickly.

So a lot of efforts has to be done to see Jami like a reliable replacement for a communication tool like Telegram.
Also, Jami would be even nicer if at some time we could synchronize past chats with a new client.

Well, considering that the entire chat history is saved only on your local machine, the only way to synchronize it would be to manually copy the entire profile folder to another client, i believe this is already a possibility.