GNU Jami (Signal/WhatsApp/Telegram replacement)

I never changed my mind. End-to-End encryption is NOT on by default. The other article says the same.
You have to use secret chats for End-to-End to be enabled. Server-side encryption is on by default but server-side is NOT secure because anyone who has access to servers has access to encryption keys.
So the facts have not changed. Cheers. :sunglasses:

Ah, see, now that youā€™re being specific we can be on the same page. It was a long road, but you made it, like I knew you would. Well done!

Interestingly enough I mentioned the same thing earlier in the conversation. I supposed it was you who finally got on the same sheet of music. Rephrasing it did help you finally understand. So the well done goes to you :wink: Glad that it was youā€¦who made it. Moving on :sunglasses:

Iā€™m no match for your terrible memory

Iā€™m sure that was it. Moving on

You keep saying that. Or will you admit that thatā€™s also not true?

@AmarOk1412
In reference to SMS syncing, because of the complexity it has always seemed that most messengers and VOIP services elected to operate separately. Do you see that changing in time or because of how complex that is will Jami will just continue to progress on itā€™s current direction?

Would crowd funding help with you funding more developers to help you be worth a shot?

Not my call, but donā€™t think so. Jami is done by a company

Do you see that changing in time or because of how complex that is will Jami will just continue to progress on itā€™s current direction?

For now, itā€™s not planned at all. But who knows, if itā€™s really needed this can change (but imho, not before a long time). Also, all is free software, so if anybody wants to do a client with both SMS and Jami messages, itā€™s doable.

Have you had any luck using Jami on the QEMU image? Do you have any further suggestions?

1 Like

Hello @Seven, I didnā€™t test it further yet. For further tracking of possible improvements for Jami on smaller screens, I would open an issue on savoirfairelinux/jami-client-gnome as soon as I find the time.

EDIT: Sorry, didnā€™t remember this thread correctly and thought that you were one of the developers of Jami. What did you want to know about the current state of Jami on the phone?

Hello @Kareema actually @AmarOk1412 is a developer of Jami. You can direct anything you have towards him when it comes to any specific issues or on their mastodon page.

What I was curious about was how well did it function on the phone? How did the UI look and work once you were logged in? What was the scaling like and how did that affect usability on the phone? Whenever you have time I imagine we would enjoy any feedback you can provide. Thanks :slight_smile:

@AmarOk1412 where can I see the libhandy adaption project? is merged in the gnome client one?

itā€™s in my private patches. Itā€™s pretty empty right now.

No itā€™s not merged, my full time is taken by working on group chat or connectivity issues, the gnome client is stalled since 2 or 3 months and I donā€™t have the time to work on client features. The Qt client got some active devs and QML is responsive by default, so maybe it will be available even before libhandy (unless someone try to do the job before)

Iā€™m not too sure on the technologies but didnā€™t Purism decide to use Matrix (Librem Chat).
How is that compared to Jami and Signal, etc?

Also, Iā€™m currently in South America and everyone in the countries here sends voice messages (used like an audio text message) with WhatsApp. So whatever system is used, it needs great support for audio recordings to get traction here.

Itā€™s cool learning new cultures and how they use technology.

I have to admit that I do like Librem Chat (Matrix). The issue I have that it is only on the Librem 5/Pure OS.
I would like to have an application that can do that across all platforms/cross platforms and devices.

Where Jami succeeds in this (as well as Signal, Wire, Telegram, and others) is that Jami already has apps for all platforms and devices. As of this post Librem does not offer Librem Chat as a flatpak, .deb, or any other package to install on other distros. They do have apps for iOS and Android. Why not apps for Ubuntu, Arch, Linux Mint, Manjaro, Windows, macOS, etc? That is something Jami is a lot closer too and not to mention would be easier to support that Librem trying to do it all by themselves. These are just my thoughts. If anyone else have other points of view, please share.

3 Likes

If you mean the service, you should be able to use any Matrix client. If you mean the PureOS app, then it is Fractal which is available as a flatpak app for use with other Linux distros. If you look around in the News and Events section of the Purism website, you should be able to find some references to the development and adaptation of Fractal for the Librem5.

1 Like

There will likely be a Telegram Client (I use Telegram everyday and audio messages work brilliant on them. One of the main ways I message people). Telegram already has Linux support so I imagine (I am no dev) that it will just need porting for the screen size and touch etc. Failing this, the web client works well.

However I could be wrong there.

WhatApp in itā€™s self you will likely to be able to use WhatApp Web, my dad used it yesterday on an iPad and has no issues through the browser (They have apps for Windows idk about Linux). However, WhatApp Web (Unlike any Telegram Client Iā€™ve used) requires your phone to be within connection range of it, which is some what of a let down.

WhatApp is also owned by Facebook but thatā€™s getting off topic. xD

Firefox is moving their IRC to Matrix and some of their devs are moving from Slack.

http://exple.tive.org/blarg/2020/02/20/synchronous-messaging-were-live/

Do you think Matrix is a competitor to Jami, or they work for different use cases?

Here I think the comparison of Matrix to Slack is a good one. We are want to compare like to like.

Jami is not like Slack or Matrix. Jami is in the same boat as Telegram, Skype, Signal, Wire, Tox, and so on.
So not just message and group chats but also voice and video calls as well as group calls, screen sharing, and video conferencing.

1 Like

Having moving stickers like in Telegram would be amazing! And Themes too. I wish I know programing. If we can add that feature I could do some character animations. Even having stories would be great for marketing the app. Imagine showing a 3D object like FBX or OBJ, or sending a draw, I can just Imagine haha. Iā€™m a 3D artist by the way.

1 Like