GNU Jami (Signal/WhatsApp/Telegram replacement)

https://matrix.org/blog/2020/06/02/introducing-p-2-p-matrix/

4 Likes

I have found something interesting at Matrix weekly: https://matrix.org/blog/posts#maunium-sticker-picker

Thereā€™s a Telegram import script thatā€™s used to reupload stickers to Matrix and generate the static sticker pack files that the picker widget uses. Itā€™s technically also possible to make the sticker pack files yourself, but thereā€™s no easy way to do that yet.

1 Like

Hmā€¦ could Jami be for Librem Dial? :grin:

Gotta check that!

Thanks! I just discovered that with Mobian (arm64) sudo apt install jami works out-of-the-box, but thatā€™s it from my side.

Here is link to Jami for iOS.

:clap:, I agree.

1 Like

Thank @Quarnero I forgot about Jami -
How stable is it??

Installation was smooth, but Iā€™m not sure if PureOS repo offers GNU Jami yet. And Iā€™m not using it at the moment, so cannot give you any further advice, sorry for that.

HEVC/H.265 support in Jami (for your eyes only :upside_down_face:) looks promising too.

no it doesnā€™t really do anything - does not seem to work

https://flathub.org/apps/details/net.jami.Jami

I used jami in the past and used the default servers. It felt incredibly slow and most my messages didnā€™t go through. Calls would work a little but usually fail. I tried again recently with someone I know and our messages went through fine but calls could be accepted but dropped before showing anything. Restarted the program and made sure permissions were given but nothing.

I think people should be careful when comparing programs like signal to telegram. Telegram, in my view, is at the same level if not worse than WA. Telegram is proprietary, not self federated and all messages are not E2EE other than secret chat but that uses telegramā€™s own invented, proprietary encryption. WA at least bases their encryption for messages off signal protocol.

Jami is available in Byzantium, just installed it.
However, it does not start. This is the error message:

** (jami-gnome:3942): ERROR **: 07:28:08.425: Could not init clutter : 0

Since it cannot initialize clutter I assume itā€™s some OpenGL issue?

The flatpak version runs however. But the UI is not adapted to small screens and while it detects the camera itā€™s just all black in the settings. I donā€™t know anyone who uses GNU Jami, so I have not added any contacts and tested chatting/calling.

2 Likes

In order to perform a call, we need to use the hardware encoders and decoders present on the board instead of software ones. Without hardware acceleration, all video encoding and decoding operations are executed on the CPU. Video compression and decompression are complex algorithms that generally can not be executed in real time on CPU cores. Therefore, using software codecs would make Jami unusable.

Last year they used hardware encoders and decoders of the i.MX6, so I hope it will be possible to use the same process for i.MX8M too.

Comparison of Instant Messengers by FSF India (https://fsf.org.in/article/better-than-whatsapp/):

5 Likes

does it fit the screen?

1 Like

For me, everything seems to fit in landscape. Donā€™t know how it worksā€¦ Iā€™ll have to install it on another phone and see if I can connect them.

1 Like

As @Photon already noted, actually confirmed, it is not that everything within Jami fits to the PinePhone screen, but will check back again from time to time.

Me as well (but Iā€™m very slow).

I have just discovered Jami - what an amazing app :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Does it really work ā€“ as in real world conditions? I tried it ages ago, wonder how it developed.

And whatā€™s the advantage compered to, say, Jitsi?

With Jami, there is no server! Huge advantage regarding privacy, robustness, censorship resistance and so on, not to mention general coolness. :slight_smile:

Remember what Mr Miyagi says in the Karate Kid movie: ā€œbest defense, no be there!ā€

How to secure your server? Best way: donā€™t have a server!

9 Likes