I’m sure many of you have heard already, but Google and Apple have announced a partnership to create a contact tracing system nominally intended to map the spread of COVID-19 and alert participants if someone nearby might have it.
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/04/apple-and-google-partner-on-covid-19-contact-tracing-technology/ (google has an identical statement).
At the moment, it’s strictly opt-in they’re going to forcibly install it on everyone’s phone if they’ve got Play Services enabled and have Android 6 and up. Future plans are to bake it into all new versions of Android and iOS. That implies a few possibilities, all of which may be concurrent:
- They plan to monetize this technology, possibly in sectors other than health.
- Governments may mandate participation (they’re the ones cited as asking for this).
- Businesses are not prohibited from mandating participation as a prerequisite for doing business.
- This pandemic is going to last a very long time.
- Action on the part of developers of ALL mobile operating systems/phone makers may become compulsory.
So I guess, what are your thoughts on this?
I don’t like to stick my head out, but I can’t remain silent about this. What they are doing is creating one of the core components of a Social Credit system, a notification that tells you when it’s undesirable to be around someone. They say it’s Opt-in, but having a phone number or even social security number are all technically Opt-in as well, but life gets very difficult if you don’t have them.