How to manage Caller ID setting

I went to the log files and from my attempts this morning it shows:

Jan  5 07:55:57 pureos gnome-calls[1295]: Using origin '4917600000000' for call to '##61#'
Jan  5 07:55:59 pureos gnome-calls[1295]: USSD Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.libqmi.E
rror.Protocol.SupsFailureCase: Couldn't originate USSD operation: QMI protocol error (92):
 'SupsFailureCase'
Jan  5 07:56:48 pureos gnome-calls[1295]: Using origin '4917600000000' for call to '##62#'
Jan  5 07:56:51 pureos gnome-calls[1295]: USSD Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.libqmi.E
rror.Protocol.SupsFailureCase: Couldn't originate USSD operation: QMI protocol error (92):
 'SupsFailureCase'
Jan  5 07:57:27 pureos gnome-calls[1295]: Using origin '4917600000000' for call to '##67#'
Jan  5 07:57:30 pureos gnome-calls[1295]: USSD Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.libqmi.E
 'SupsFailureCase'

Time to file a bug issue (will do later).

Issue created as https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/calls/-/issues/545

2 Likes

Thanks Guru.

That is promising in a sense i.e. it is at least attempting to recognise the USSD code and do something with it. :wink:

When I do the same with my beloved Ubuntu BQ E4.5 its dialer app shows:

with this reaction after 12- secs:

screenshot20230106_081520066

1 Like

updated

I used a terminal app kermit to talk directly to the modem; dial strings must be terminated by ; to make them work:

purism@pureos:~$ sudo kermit ~purism/.kermrc
C-Kermit 9.0.305 OPEN SOURCE: Alpha.02, 19 Sep 2020, for Linux+SSL+KRB5 (64-bit)
 Copyright (C) 1985, 2020,
  Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
Type ? or HELP for help.
(/home/purism/) C-Kermit>c
Connecting to /dev/ttyUSB3, speed 9600
 Escape character: Ctrl-U (ASCII 21, NAK): enabled
Type the escape character followed by C to get back,
or followed by ? to see other options.
----------------------------------------------------
atd##62#;
OK

^MODE: 3

+DISC: 5,0,0,31,"##62#",129

NO CARRIER

^MODE: 9

it also does work to dial a valid number:

atd0170xxxxxxxxx;
NO CARRIER

+DISC: 15,0,1,69,"0170xxxxxx",129

NO CARRIER

+DISC: 15,0,1,69,"0170xxxxxxxx",129

2 Likes

Is Fonic inside of this package: How will APN settings work? Also, thanks for bringing this issue forward!

apt list mobile-broadband-provider-info
apt list prepaid-manager-applet
sudo apt install prepaid-manager-applet

For example, after installation of prepaid-manager-applet might (at least) recognize which provider used there:

As @guido.gunther already wrote to us: “It uses ModemManager (the GSM and 3G helper of NetworkManager) to talk to the modem and mobile-broadband-provider-info to determine the necessary USSD codes for your provider.

Today I’ve received confirmation that USSD codes aren’t working due to a bug.
Purism support has created a ticket for the issue here

1 Like

We did not created the ticket; @guru did

I stand corrected :flushed:

I was a week in Cuba with a cuban SIM card of the provider Cubacel and the USSD code of showing the balance of the account (*222#, see left screen) and buying an additional package from the overall balance (*133#) and the resulting dialog to chose with a number the desired package (see right screen) worked fine. I will try to cut out the syslog of those operations.

Update: There wasn’t anything in syslog about these successful USSD commands.

Quick questions: What packade is this USSD app and what tweak gets seconds displayed?

I’m not sure if I understand you. One uses the normal gnome-calls app and instead of a normal phone number one uses the dial pad to dial for example

*222#

and presses the the dial button. And the result is what you see in the left picture.

Sorry, misunderstood the image then - I though that USSD images were some app to use ussd codes. Didn’t realize they are sub-windows to Calls.

The other question, about the seconds, was in reference to the images where the time (top center) has seconds visible. At least from my settings I can’t find that.

The images are just screen shoots of the the sub windows of the gnome-calls app. To get seconds in the top status bar my small booklet says:

33 times displayed and NTP

To show seconds of the time in the lock screen and upper status
   bar use:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface clock-show-seconds true

note: this does not affect the app Clock;

time is synced by NTP, see: /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf for the config
   of the systemd-timesyncd service: (note this shows as comments the
1 Like

Oh my, that was simple. Thanks!
And also got them on the lock screen too. It’s the small tweaks, that make daily life more convenient :slight_smile: