I once again cannot charge my librem laptop [SOLVED]

My Librem 14 laptop is again not charging after doing a factory reset. I had this same problem twice last year, but this time the previous solutions are not working. I have tried doing a full system update and changing the charge_control_start_threshold file like in this post last year New Problem with Librem 14 not charging battery [SOLVED]

But it is not working because that file does not exist when I update my system, and I cannot create the file because I cannot make myself the owner of that file directory no matter how many time I try. I am sitting at 10% battery and worried I will not be able to turn my laptop back on later. someone please tell me how I can charge my laptop again, it has not been above 21% all week. What would be the steps I can take to charge my librem 14 laptop?

UPDATE: I forgot I had to install -librem-ec-acpi-dkms again after doing a factory reset. I have done that now and I was then able to change the charging threshold files as in past instructions given to me. Problem is taken care of now.

Probably best to contact support directly (support@puri.sm) but

What directory are we talking about exactly?

If it’s something in /sys then it’s probably some kind of virtual file system and it may well be that you can’t perform certain operations even with root access. With the exact details of what commands you are doing and what error messages are being issued, someone might be able to comment further.

The last time that I dealt with this problem, I used the command echo '70' | sudo tee -a /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_control_start_threshold to set the charging threshold at 70, this meant that when the battery dropped below 70% it would start charging again. That command doesn’t do anything for me this year because that file no longer exists in /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0 file directory

Update: I hve installed -librem-ec-acpi-dkms and it looks like the files are actually back in their proper place now, the charging light on my librem 14 has turned from amber to green and it now says 4 hours until full battery… I think I may have solved it using the advice given last year :slight_smile: but honestly I feel like these problems should happen so frequently. In defense of Purism, I did do a factory reset recently, that is probably what caused the problem.

1 Like