I want Librem 5 to resemble iOS!

Summary

Hello, I have seen the phone updates improving. And starting to notice the amount of Android resemblance alot, which before, was great. Now I have turned the tables around. My attraction to Android is getting lower and lower, while iOS is growing on me. I hate iOS for being locked down so much. But I love the simplicity and the look of the phone ALOT. I have started thinking of moving to iOS. I have been a fan of Android and used Android for 10+ years. And it got me thinking…

^^ TLDR: iOS is HOT :heart:, Android meh :confused:

Would it be possible to make Librem 5 resemble iOS?
Because Gnome is a Mac resemble, I thought it would be cool and fair if the Librem 5 was an iPhone resemblance but with FREEDOM!

Android is in every phone in the market, it would be only dumb to make Librem 5 an Android aswell. My point is, the price tag on the phone is too high for an Android copy, if you want it to sell you need to make the phone more luxury and “heavy”, meaning a stable and compact, but simple look.

What do you guys think? Please vote and give me ur opinion in the comments :heart_eyes::grimacing:

• I want iOS resemblance!
  • I want Android resemblance!

0 voters

People who follow the updates and dev work, I know you can relate to the Android thing.

neither. I want something new.

20 Likes

If there was a third option like: “none of the above, something new”, i would vote :smile_cat:

22 Likes

[x] I want phosh to be posh

12 Likes

i want linux to be linux

16 Likes

I want GNU Linux, not a Android or iOS nightmare copycat…
GNOME and Plasma for mobile are already very nice !

4 Likes

I don’t want any of them. I want an independent (and restrictions-free) DE for mobile devices.

3 Likes

I want PureOS resemblance. I really like the pureos layout and quick change app gallery . If I wanted ios or android I wouldnt have bought an L5

1 Like

I don’t want either - I want something new. If it resembles iOS or Android where it makes sense, then that’s OK for me. But don’t make it look like one or the other. Phosh is cool as it is and going in the right direction - no need to make a clone of something.

3 Likes

Words cannot express how much I don’t want this.

Edit: Hope I didn’t come off as too rude before, but I don’t think Apple would approve and I’d rather it be it’s own special :snowflake:.

6 Likes

I think what you’re saying is that you want to run elementaryOS on the librem 5?
Ask about making that happen/ a port on the elementary forums

3 Likes

It’s open source. It most definitely is possible. However almost noone so far wants that. So you might be doing the work on the “iOS theme”. :slight_smile:

There are many ways in which something can resemble something in the computer world - color scheme, layout, sequences, logos, applications. Perhaps there will be sufficient customisability in the Librem 5 to make it a bit like iOS in some aspects.

My focus is as much on functionality as it is on appearance. Cool things can be happening behind the scenes that do not show up in the UI at all. So I am interested in what the Librem 5 can do for me.

As far as the poll goes, I will take whatever comes but would be hoping for “Linux resemblance”, as a 100% Linux user in the non-mobile space.

6 Likes

Well, wow. I did not know so many people in here wanted something new. But let me put it this way, would an Android clone be better than iOS?

I am really just putting it out there, if you want new, then why is Librem going in the Android direction.

Picture

:small_red_triangle: Everything about its development is Android, the launcher, with the app drawer. (Love the app drawer btw)

Picture II

:small_red_triangle: The recents screen makes Android and Librem come together very nicely. Its not my intention to wreck havoc and tell what is okay/wrong but you must agree that recents screen + the app drawer is Android copied 100%.

Picture III

:small_red_triangle: The hungry thought of putting quick settings buttons in the “notification bar.” (merge request)

Picture IV

:small_red_triangle: The soon to be navigation bar. That I can actually say, isn’t a copy, because it’s got it’s own function. But some things, like these, will turn for the worst. If not, gestures will come. Which I prefer, those are cool :slight_smile: Especially iOS gestures. lol

For now, thats what I wanted to lighten up, but you get my point of the matter.

So make them how you think they won’t turn for the worst. You get that the Librem 5 is Free software, eh? With proprietary software you can only order in a restaurant or takeaway ( you request and they make…maybe). With Free software, you can also cook things yourself!:smiley: It’s not uncommon for people to take the existing things and modify them to do/look as they wish.

So, bust out GIMP and make a rough of what you want to see and then break out Glade and start your project. You are not helpless. Ask others to join you to make it a functional reality (or do so yourself if you’ve those skills). Like I mentioned before, the ElementaryOS guys and gals would probably share your interest in making the Librem 5 look mac-y an option.

2 Likes

Sure there are similarities. One could have the impression that it’s cloned. However I respectfully disagree on those three options:

• Android
  • iOS
  • Something new

I would vote for: I want what seems to fit best for the purpose. If it’s the way Android is doing it, let’s use it from there, if it’s the way iOS, Ubuntu or any desktop does it, build it like that. Doesn’t matter where it comes from. We should not be blinded by ideology in that way, that just because someone we don’t like, says the truth or designs something nice, we don’t like it and try to argue against it.

I for myself like how the UI is developing from a design perspective.

4 Likes

A lot of confusion between what is an OS and what is an UI in this thread…

What most of us want is a phone we can make our own. I’m sure a there’s some customers who’ll just boot into a shell and run all functions from the command line. :wink:

7 Likes

GIven Kali Linux’s ‘incognito mode’ to disguise it as Windows, it’s technically possible I would imagine.

Whether or not people want their OS UI to resemble a closed source/proprietary one is another question altogether and it seems like no one really wants a iOS skin based on this thread’s small sampling, and the one person who would doesn’t have the technical chops to do so, so unlikely to happen. :man_shrugging:

Wow so many “haters” on one post, I just stated my part. I am a human, I have a voice. And I wanted to share my thoughts on the thing I bought for a lot of money. I am not rude, i just wanted to speak. And from that I get people telling me to “do it yourself”. There isn’t something called new, because it already exists. You just have to make it different from others. But its still going to be the same thing. Act the same. That’s NOT new!! If you want new, remove the keyboard and type from your mind. That’s new.

For my final comment here, YES I LOVE THE Librem 5, I like the design. I JUST WANTED TO ASK IF IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR THE DEV TEAM TO RESEMBLE IOS MORE THAN ANDROID BECAUSE ANDROID EXIST EVERYWHERE AND ITS BORING AS HELL. Thanks. Ugh…

Yes, because you are not helpless, you do not have to wish at wait like some disney princess for some dev to come and rescue you. Yes, we’re grateful for all the things devs do in the Free software culture, but that’s not where it ends. This is a Free software phone and you are the user. Free software is for you, not to exploit you. You are empowered to do things you may have never dreamed you could (be that outright development or finding and organizing a project within a community with like minded goals).

1 Like

That is the essence of free software. You can’t expect someone else to do it for you for free. Maybe they will. Maybe they won’t.

If enough people want something then one or more of them will do it and everyone will benefit.

If only one person wants something then you do it yourself - unless you get lucky and find someone else to do it for you.

The big differences between the Librem 5 and Android/iOS phones that I am hoping for are:

• respects my privacy, and
  • I can extend or alter its functionality.
5 Likes