International keyboard layouts for Librem 11

Estimated Time of Arrival

1 Like

If one is to believe https://twitter.com/AyanBaqur/status/783922893612732417 it is indeed possible to rearrange the keys yourself (disclaimer: I have not tried this, be careful, you do this at your own risk, etc.).

2 Likes

Rearranging keys is not the solution: some key caps are simply missing (mainly accentuated characters).

2 Likes

Any update on this?

Similar situation for Scandinavian languages, Hungarian, Turkish, German…: I can live with “z” and “y” in their respective positions, however, I need Ä,Ö,Ü, ä,ö, ü und ß - else I can’t type any text without mistakes. And whenever I write scripts etc., I like to know where !$()?*’[]|<># are.

1 Like

Is there any chance that the Librem11 will ship with non-English keyboards? I feel very tempted to place an order, but without a qwertz-layout including umlaut characters, it’s just not fit for my everyday needs. I guess alot of potential buyers might feel the same about their keyboards needs.

4 Likes

Hej Tomas! Chansar på att svenska går bra :slight_smile: Har det hänt nåt på tangentbordsfronten? mvh //Erik

Nope. We’ll have news in the following month, though.

1 Like

Great! As maybe you saw from my message, I’m very interested in a Swedish keyboard. Best regards. //Erik

Btw, I’m happy to help with a Swedish funding/preorder campaign if that’s on your radar to set up and coordinate for more than one country. Best regards. //Erik

3 Likes

Hello,

I just love the laptops you make and would be ready to purchase, but will definitly won’t purchase one unless you can ship it with my language keyboard (that would be French AZERTY, thank you very much).

Consider this as a +1 for French keyboard support please :wink:

Keep on the good job!

Patrick

1 Like

+1 for german keyboard

2 Likes

Hey purism Team, you now have a plan when you can provide something like a QWERTZ keyboardlayout?

2 Likes

+1 for a German keyboard or a changeable e-ink/LED keyboard

1 Like

Hello Purism team,

I too would be interested in an “alternative” layout.
Do you have any way to figure whether the demand for a layout is strong or not?

As an example, I’m usually a silent reader of the forum. I find the lack of French layout to be inconvenient enough to prevent me from buying one of your great Librem 13.

Have you thought about setting-up a poll on your website? Or are you based mainly on request/complaints on the forum?

1 Like

I’m Spanish, and I’d really need the Spain layout. I used the AltGr+VowelKey technique for accents many many years ago when dead keys didn’t work right on UNIX systems, but nowadays it wouldn’t make any sense.

However, if providing different keyboards for different countries is not possible, I believe e-ink or LED keys would be the way to go.

Anyway, I cannot order a Librem laptop (I’m not talking Librem 11 only, as this also applies to 13 and 15) if I cannot use the Spain layout :frowning_face:

1 Like

In need of a Norwegian layout, very similar to Swedish and Danish, just one button flipped with another.

Any news here?
As long as there is no german keyboard I do not want to order. And for me a new laptop is due :neutral_face:
Please do not tell me that one can use a different layout, I have this at work with french and english keyboards. It is annoying.

1 Like

Here is a general poll where we can vote for the desired keyboard layout

Since there is no clear support yet for the German keyboard, I’ve pre-ordered another detachable alternative which is far more affordable: https://shop.shiftphones.com/shift12m.html.
The main difference is that they focus on sustainability rather than security.