Is Linux-Headers recommended to be installed?

Is Linux-Headers recommended to be installed?

as I updated pureos 10 with sudo apt-get upgrade command after that it says 1 more package can be upgraded and on linux headers it was keep on saying that same even I upgraded after that I removed linux headers and all is good and updated nothing is asking now and system working fine

is linux headers recommended or necessary for security and any purposes as now I am installing by this command it is not installing anymore
sudo apt install linux-headers
it says,
Package ‘linux-headers’ has no installation candidate

Any Help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks & Regards,
Sabir Saleem

1 Like

I think I have the same question as OP. This morning I used apt to install 50+ recent updates. (The updates also happened to include a kernel update, if that’s relevant.)

After rebooting, running autoremove and autoclean, and lastly apt update again, this is the result:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
1 package can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see it.
myuser@mymachinename:~$ sudo apt upgrade
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
myuser@mymachinename:~$ apt list --upgradable -a
Listing... Done
linux-headers-amd64/byzantium 5.10.197-1 amd64 [upgradable from: 5.10.191-1]
linux-headers-amd64/byzantium-security,now 5.10.191-1 amd64 [installed,upgradable to: 5.10.197-1]

How do we properly install the latest linux-headers package?

Exactly I have done same as yesterday some updates were came for pureos after sudo apt-get upgrade and then sudo apt-get update it made some issues on Linux kernel headers and when everything get done it said one package can be upgraded and that was Linux kernel headers and I tried much but can’t upgraded and when I used sudo apt autoremove so idk what wrong happened at last I removed Linux headers now and everything is fine now my question is should I need to install it as update is not showing it required or anything else or is it optional and what is the purpose of it.
Many thanks

Oh, I don’t want to uninstall linux-headers, unless absolutely necessary.
I am still unable to upgrade the linux-headers package.

myuser@mymachinename:~$ sudo apt update
password for mymachinename:
*[list of repos redacted]*
1 package can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see it.
myuser@mymachinename:~$ apt list --upgradable
Listing... Done
N: There is 1 additional version. Please use the '-a' switch to see it
myuser@mymachinename:~$ apt list --upgradable -a
Listing... Done
linux-headers-amd64/byzantium-security,now 5.10.191-1 amd64 [installed,upgradable to: 5.10.197-1]

myuser@mymachinename:~$ sudo apt upgrade
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
myuser@mymachinename:~$ 

The package does not update using the normal commands. Is anyone else experiencing this, or know how to fix it?

I have been searching on my own, and the best resource article I could find about this is here:

It’s FOSS article on apt-list-upgradable

but it doesn’t directly address this situation.

Any help would be appreciated!

yes same here basically I uninstalled linux headers for installing again from repo of pureos but It is not installing anymore and before doing that I was at same position where you’re keep searching brother I am doing same maybe we get some solution if someone has solution for it kindly share with us

anyways , I see its priority is an (optional) inside PureOs

software repo that is why nothing is showing to do let’s see in new updates what’s PureOs do

This should be fixed now.

@n00ber ^^^

1 Like

The purpose of it is that we ship a DKMS module needed for the Librem laptops (librem-ec-acpi-dkms)

The driver librem_ec_acpi provides Linux kernel support for the ACPI embedded controller of the following devices:

• Purism Librem 14 laptop

but when I removed it mistakenly so how I can I reinstall it from PureOs Repo ?

sudo apt install linux-headers-amd64

@SabirSaleem70

1 Like

it says The following packages have unmet dependencies see attached dear

@SabirSaleem70 I am sorry, I should have mentioned it. Did you ran:

sudo apt update

Before:

sudo apt install linux-headers-amd64

4 Likes

@joao.azevedo
Thank you! Just now I upgraded a handful of other packages and the entire queue was processed as expected. (I’m using the Librem Mini)

@SabirSaleem70
I was having a different problem from you so I cannot be sure how to help, but this post discusses possible solutions … use at your own risk.

https://phoenixnap.com/kb/ubuntu-fix-broken-packages

1 Like

Many thanks dear finally after sudo apt update running command sudo apt install linux-headers-amd64 it works !!!

3 Likes