Is there after purchase support?

I have no idea until you told me. Right?

Maybe Pinephone and L5 can use some of the same parts? What ever.

I’m glad to see someone else would like to see if a rogue is causing it. I hope so. It might dispel my thoughts of this L5 of being possessed. :slight_smile:

First, I typoed that – I meant 2 hours, which I verified during my morning commute today. This charging performance is with the screen at about 90% brightness (I wear sunglasses because it is so bright in the desert) and podcasts running at about 90% volume (I control the final sound level from my car head unit).

I’m using a joe blow Amazon charger that I’ve had about five years. I don’t know the exact specs, but I suppose I can try to mine my purchase history. It does have three ports labeled iPhone 2A and one labeled iPad 3A.

More important would be to ask the Librem 5 what it negotiated with the charger. It looks as if your charger has ports for (up to) 2 Amps and (up to) 3 Amps (presumed 5V) but we don’t know what charging protocols it offers and what the negotiation resulted in. Based on “2 hours from 40% to 100%” I would say that it is working well.

Agreed. What command should I run?

BTW, the charger is an EZOPower 4.8A High Output, ourchaded in 2014. I plug the L5 into the “iPad” port.

Regardless of how fast it charges, if I don’t plug it in while podding, surfing the web or using Calls, the phone does discharge rapidly.

1 Like

Regardless, please start to search for old stock of Belkin F8J251 (for example, yet the one with very precise description what to use there) and once you received it please connect your Librem 5 phone to USB-C port (please stop current experimentation there ASAP):

cat /sys/class/power_supply/tps6598x-source-psy-0-003f/uevent

I don’t know if this helps. When I use an older charger (or is it cable?) my android tells me it will be “slow charging”, but it still charges. So that’s the one I plug it into when I go to sleep.

1 Like

Huh? Not sure what you mean.

Plugged into the family room charger (RAVPower Turbo+ Series 40W iSmart + Quickcharge 3.0), I get:

type = SDP [DCP] CDP C PD
Amax = 1500000
Vmax = 5000000

I’m assuming that means it negotiated 1.5A @ 5V. The phone had about 80% when I plugged it in.

I can try it in my car tomorrow.

1 Like

Correct. And you didn’t get PD (which may be an issue in the future if more devices want PD).

1.5A is lower than what the phone might want. With the Purism-supplied charger, it negotiates 3A. Still, 1.5A is enough to run the Librem 5 and do some decent charging.

1 Like

What’s PD?

Neither myself (actually my phone), as I’m getting only USB-DCP charging protocol on my few days ago received Google G1002 7.5W USB-A power supply and my Librem 5 (including its battery) is already in love with it. I was just lucky to get (buy) G1002 (that is actually capable of providing 10W).

@irvinewade, thanks for your input! Thanks while as long as we understand each other and as long as we are describing same “music” field, I appreciate your every input (as yours are needed here indeed).

The line of output labelled POWER_SUPPLY_USB_TYPE lists the supported charging protocols and the one that is in force (through negotiation) is enclosed in square brackets.

PD means USB Power Delivery protocol. Refer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#USB_Power_Delivery and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C

The Librem 5 wants PD 3.0 if I recall correctly.

1 Like

As might help and in order to be precise (at least once) Librem 5 needs PD2.0: https://forums.puri.sm/uploads/default/original/2X/6/695b3e84ff52a6c86e2cdd8ce3422c5ebc3f6bcc.jpeg.

@Photon can you find car charger (particular one from Belkin) that I recommended to you or not? Asking while currently do not have much time for some additional explanation.

1 Like

No, this is not helping at all with the Librem 5 battery charging. Yet this command helps for sure:

EDIT:

If you are using USB-C port and your post indeed related to RAVPower RP-PC017 you’ll get there Amax = 3000000 (no doubts from my side).

EDIT II: If we stick with the same quality manufacturer, both USB-C output ports from RAVPOWER RP-PC136 65W 2A2C will work as expected with the Librem 5 too (as build around PI’s InnoSwitch3 series charging controller). Also, thanks for providing important inputs as otherwise we do not know much on how you charge there! As only based on your current standpoint we might indeed help you out.

You might have got me there. :wink:

The charger that is supplied with the Librem 5 is labelled as being “PD 3.0” but that doesn’t say what the phone wants or needs.

2 Likes

What happens if I buy PD 3.0 extra charger?

1 Like

Just buy the right one, for example Google TC 1000 or Asus AQ18A-59A (both are 18W up to 9V/2A or rather both indeed support 5V/3A). @Photon and @veleno (as add-on to the related USB-DCP thread), if you prefer having built-in high-voltage filter electrolytic capacitors (two are 400V 22μF and the other two are 400V 33μF) take AUKEY PA-B3 65W 1A1C (preferable for Librem 5 and Librem 14 charging, therefore I just bought one) or even AUKEY PA-B4 65W 2C (only when in addition some Samsung devices need to be charged there). This edit post main purpose is rather thought of mine that should help you to understand importance of USB-DCP charging protocol negotiation (every PD2.0, PD3.0 as well as PD3.1 negotiation, between power supply and end-device, actually starts at 5V and therefore I’m only focused on power delivery within 5V range, here where we are having dialog on charging of the Librem 5).

1 Like

This is pure PD3.0 (here shown twice charging output of 100W), and this power supply is NXP® chips based as well:
https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_limit,w_695/v1672987220/mjzfl589oxfcgy0zsrce.jpg
https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_limit,w_695/v1672986615/kusrhroyttxu16t9tqxv.jpg

P.S. I understand above charging values as I’m getting for my needs almost 90W, from single USB-C port, just while my battery takes what it likes (not a single watt more): https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/A3642ea51c2e745258ec930f7224211d9O.jpg and:

P.S. Might be this is just another entertainment post, yet I cannot read non-stop about PD3.0 without knowing that someone actually needs it.

1 Like

@tracy, if you would like to intentionally lower charging input to 1.5A than please buy switching power supply called SONOS CPS012050210V or CPS012050210U. I like it very much as having exact voltage output of 5.0V.

Another note/reminder would be that if used power supply isn’t reliable enough it might burn out itself, especially when providing power to the Librem 5, which of course might have further unwanted consequences (not only related to the connected phone).