Issue with firmware after distro full upgrade

Hello Purism!

Please help.

I am running Librem 13 v2 and today I found that my version of python is too old and decided to upgrade.
Realized that it is better to just upgrade all “apt” packages because of some broken/missed dependecies…

So I run:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt full-upgrade

as per that post: App store "Software" disappeared after pureOS update

Now I am not able to boot my amazing Librem13 at all…

The error message is such:

firmware: failed to load i915/skl_dmc_ver27.bin (-2)

Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked.

Tried to boot in recovery mode, also tried using previous version of kernel images (4.19.0-5-amd64 and 4.16.0-1-amd64) with no luck…

This post seems very related to my issue : Failed to load DMC firmware (more info requested)

I know I need to try to reinstall my firmware using coreboot procedure, so I checked manuals here: https://puri.sm/coreboot/

but how do I do that now, if my Librem13 is not loading at all ?

Please, point me to some direction, guys …

this is my current situation if I run in recovery mode

The support team would be able to help you further, but this doesn’t look like a firmware issue to me (that error you saw is just the kernel complaining about missing binary blobs which PureOS doesn’t include). If you look at the top of your screenshot in recovery mode, you will see a

[FAILED] Failed to start Cryptography Setup for luks-jfdklajfdklajfdla

So I suspect the issue has something to do with your disk encryption passphrase (were you prompted for it when you booted?) or some change to LUKS settings and if that’s the case, it’s something the support team might need to help you with.

Hi @Kyle_Rankin ! Thanks for your quick reply!

Yes, I do have my ssd encrypted, so every time I boot my laptop I enter two passwords…

But after I did sudo apt full-upgrade and restarted my laptop it didn’t ask me for a password.

On the picture you can see the error message I am getting right after my Librem13 starts:

@Kyle_Rankin , how should I reach the support team ?

Email support@puri.sm

1 Like

Thanks, @taylor-williamc !