It’s been 3 years since I ordered my Librem 5.. and never received it

I ordered my librem 5 April 2019… it’s been 3 years and still haven’t received anything… or even an email what is going on? My address is still the same

1 Like

See the chart in the thread below. That’s (unofficially) where they are in the list. Things were delayed due to various circumstances.

As for email, did you ever sign up for the newsletter? Have you checked your spam folder periodically? Have you been following the blog posts at https://puri.sm/news/?

1 Like

In addition to subscribing to the emailed newsletter, you have the option of subscribing to their RSS feed.

Purism has attracted criticism in the past for a lack of communication but I think they have said that they don’t want to spam people who have not consented to being spammed. So that would mean that you need to choose and sign up for at least one communication mechanism in order to keep abreast of developments. Otherwise, the next email that you receive from them will be the preparatory email for the shipment of your phone (which will hopefully be some time this calendar year).

I ordered the same time frame, haven’t got mine either.

However, the wait on this forum has become sheer entertainment. I would have never heard from Kaz, Irvinewade, amarok, and user1 (whoever that person is), for example.

(Actually when I get my phone, I don’t know if I’ll need this forum.)

10 Likes

But won’t you want this forum?

3 Likes

I’ve been waiting nearly 4 years (from October 7, 2017 to September 29, 2021).

You will definitely need the forum once you got your phone. We will see it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I got mine last week after 4+ years, so just wait and enjoy the forum entertainment experience that you have been given in the mean time - plenty of drama, comedy and everything in between. Trust me, after you receive it, it becomes a source of learning material that you re-read to get most out of the L5.

6 Likes

Purism licensed the rights to Netflix for some funding? :rofl:

2 Likes

I hope for at least a limited docuseries of the making of L5/opensource phone or maybe a “based on real events” movie :smiley: (no, seriously, a documentary would be awesome)

1 Like

It’s been way to long trays all I’m saying… all the hardware are outdated now

1 Like

There’s outdated and then there’s outdated. With the trajectory of all hardware development, basically any hardware that you buy will be outdated within a few months. (Of course hardware manufacturers and retailers are keen to keep this idea in front of you.) The more important aspect of outdated is whether it is outdated for what you want and need to do on it.

But sure it has been way too long.

3 Likes

From my perspective, hardware is outdated only if it can no longer do what I need it to do in the way that I want it to.

The L5’s hardware components do exactly what they were designed to do, and will continue to do for a long time, with some minor hiccups that software updates are constantly improving. The L5 is the best Free/Libre GNU/Linux phone in the current (tiny) market.

2 Likes

The “outdated” it is not a label for a GNU Device like Librem 5, but yes for Android/qualcomm Apple Devices.
Librem 5 it the best gnu device in the market, librem 5 it is antiobsolescence and antioutdated if we want an amazing gnu device this device need to be aged because is not much traction on development like apple or any.

1 Like

Even for Apple devices, if it still does what I want, why would I want to throw it away?

I still have a relatively mature iPhone. Still makes phone calls and performance when reading web sites is satisfactory. Still supported by the small number of apps that I use, and they still work. The only thing wrong with it is … that it is an iPhone - so as soon as the Librem 5 can do everything that I need it to do, the iPhone goes in the drawer.

The only real problem is when Apple drops support and it isn’t getting security patches.

1 Like

Right like as @amarok it saying.

The real problem with Apple is that you have zero Freedom and prisoner. :smile: :joy:

1 Like

FWIW, Purism has been able to pick up the pace quite a bit recently. They’ve already started on the 2018 orders, after requiring significant time to get through 2017’s. So hopefully they’ll get to the beginning of 2019 relatively soon.

And if you decide that it’s too “outdated” for you by then, you’ll very likely be able to sell it quickly, and probably at a profit.

1 Like

I’ll add that “outdated” in relation to Linux (a full OS, noy just a mobile OS like iOS or droid) is on a bit different scale than the bloatware OSs. The hardware won’t become obsolete at lest due to a company intentionally slowing things down. That being said, at one point, before mass Evergreen delivery, I too had the notion that it would make sense to update the design, have more this and faster that because the prices had dropped and availability is better now than years earlier, but it just won’t work - it’s a complex whole and individual parts just can’t be replaced like that.

We’ve had a couple of threads here with some excellent long posts about technology development and the future of linux and FOSS phones for more detailed commentary on this, but in the long run, L5 is just the first (debatable - depending where you set the bar) step that has to run its course. Future steps and versions will be better and be faster to design and make after this. Of the top of my head, I’d use Fairphone as an example, how their fourth model came to be. L5 ver.4 (or L4 as there are few who would like them smaller) will come in… 10 years? That would still be faster per model than 3 years, for a phone (debatable - possibly a tricorder by then) that lasts 5-10+ years (instead of 2-5years). Time is relative… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Time is relative I bought this device when I was 26 now 30

2 Likes

In that case, spare a thought for Todd’s daughters.

1 Like

So does that make you “outdated” as well? :wink:

3 Likes