It’s been 3 years since I ordered my Librem 5.. and never received it

But then (only talking about iOS in this post) you may have to either jailbreak or get the application past the Apple App Store Police in order to use the app. iOS is a highly unfriendly environment for open source.

Also, the original comment by me was really talking about an existing unspecified app.

Don’t like the fact that the latest version of Apple Xyz app is not compatible at all with the older version of iOS that you unavoidably have on an older iPhone? Tough luck.

Don’t like the way Apple Xyz app works on iOS? Tough luck. It’s not open source and you can’t “strip unused functionality”, “rewrite performance-sensitive code sections” or use a different underlying framework.

Well um the actual topic is: It’s been 3 years since I ordered my Librem 5… and never received it

So perhaps we have all gone wildly off topic. The OP hasn’t been seen for 19(?) days.

Maybe time to let his topic die a quiet death and fork this digression.

3 Likes

My Librem 15 is still flawless, except the battery. I don’t see any signs of damage and expect it to work for a very long time.

It depends on what you want to do with it. If you try to backport all fixes and improvements from the newer version yourself, you will find it bloated enough to not be able to do it.

Sure, but some of them have a lot to do with the kernel running underneath.

Ok, I have put a reminder here on the forum :slight_smile:

They are at least planning to do so. Now, with the supply chain crisis, they just can’t do it.

Yes, my info on the Fairphone 2 is out of date, and the wiki needs to be updated, because I am unfairly criticizing Fairphone. I checked into this. Between Dec. 2019 (Nougat 7.1) and Mar. 25, 2021 (Android 9), Fairphone did not provide any OS updates for the Fairphone 2, and I saw complaints on the Fairphone forum about this. I assumed that support had ended, because Google stopped supporting Android 7.1 in October 2019, so the Fairphone 2 couldn’t get security updates.

Kudos to Fairphone for finally providing an Android 9.0 upgrade on Mar 25, 2021, and an Android 10 upgrade in Mar 9, 2022, but the troubles that Fairphone had with the Android upgrades for the Fairphone 2 actually proves my point. Of the millions of phones with the Snapdragon 800/801 chipset, the Fairphone 2 was the only phone to officially get an Android 7 (Nougat) upgrade. Its Android 9 upgrade came out 31 months after Google released Android 9. Fairphone stated:

To get to where we are today, we had to go through approximately 477,000 Google tests and pass them all in order to get the certification. That’s a huge achievement for us. Not that we were counting. Ok, we were. Wouldn’t you?

Google stopped supporting Android 9 in Jan. 2022, so again the Fairphone 2 couldn’t get security updates for several months. The Fairphone 2’s Android 10 upgrade was released 29 months after Google released it, and its support ends in Jan. 2023. Fairphone’s FAQ says:

Q: Android 10 is almost 3 years old. Why not upgrade to Android 11 or 12?

A: We started working on Android 10 in late 2020. Back then it was the obvious choice. Android 11 had just been released and the open source community was still working on making it available for a range of devices. Frankly, taking matters into our own hands when upgrading a 7 year old device, the odds of passing the hundreds of thousands of tests for GMS approval are already stacked against you. The further you get, the more difficult this process becomes. With Fairphone 2, we’re really hitting limitations with regards to video decoding tests, for example. We will not develop Android 11 for Fairphone 2. Android 10 is the last software upgrade we will do for the device.

Q: For how long will Fairphone support Android 10 by providing security updates?
A: We will continue to provide software updates for as long as Android 10 is still actively supported by Google. We aim to release 3 Android 10 version updates in 2022, after the upgrade.

Q: Why aren’t you doing another upgrade after Android 10 for the Fairphone 2? You are doing Android 11 for the Fairphone 3, so why not for Fairphone 2?
A: It has become increasingly difficult to bring newer Android versions to the outdated Fairphone 2. This is because the hardware in the Fairphone 2 doesn’t meet Google’s requirements for later Android versions. We would have loved to support Fairphone 2 beyond Android 10. We will continue our longevity efforts for our other devices.

Another important point is that the Android 5.1, 6.0 and 7.1 releases for the Fairphone 2 were based on Linux 3.4.0, which was released by kernel.org in May 2012, and the Android 9 and 10 releases are based on Linux 3.4.113, which was released in October 2016, so the Fairphone’s kernel is effectively 5.5 years old. Fairphone makes a point to say that it relied heavily on the work of the LineageOS community to do these upgrades, which supports my point that it is very hard for any of the small Android phone companies to actually provide these software updates:

Once again we’d like to thank the open source community, we couldn’t have done it without them. More specifically, we thank the LineageOS community and some of its members: Chris Hoffmann, Bruno Martins, Michael Bestas and Kevin Haggerty for their work on the Snapdragon 801.

Another point is that Fairphone must have gotten special permission from Google to use these kernels, because officially Android 9.0 only supports the android-4.4-p, 4.9-p and 4.14-p kernels and Android 10 only supports the android-4.9-q, 4.14-q and 4.19-q kernels.

For my web searches, I can find no other Android phone that approaches the Fairphone 2 in being able to support Android 5.1 through Android 10. The next best Android phones that I can find only supported 4 years of Android releases:

• Galaxy S6: Android 5.0.2 - 8.0
  • Galaxy Note10: Android 9.0 - 12
  • Google Pixel 2: Android 8.0 - 11
  • Google Pixel 3: Android 9.0 - 12
  • Motorola Moto X4: Android 8.0 - 11

Most flagships have only supported 3 years of Android releases:

• Galaxy S8: Android 7.0 - 9.0
  • Galaxy S9: Android 8.0 - 10
  • Galaxy Note9: Android 8.1 - 10,
  • LG G6: Android 7.0 - 9.0
  • LG G7 Thinq: Android 8.0 - 10
  • Google Nexus 6: Android 5.0 - 7.1.1

It is very rare that these phones get a kernel upgrade. Most of them keep using the old kernel with newer versions of Android on top. This is very different from the Librem 5 and PinePhone which use recent kernels and I fully expect both of them to keep getting OS upgrades for the next decade.

4 Likes

I have a T60 too, along with a couple of newer Lenovo laptops. But we were screwed by Intel and its Spectre family of bugs. Intel didn’t release any attempts to fix the Core Duo CPUs in the T60/T61 nor the first couple of Core i series generations and has steadily dropped releasing fixes for newer and newer generations of Core i and the associated Pentium and Xeon generations. If you value security you shouldn’t really be using those older laptops, even if they work perfectly well.

1 Like

What are you on about? The known speculative execution bugs (spectre, meltdown, spectre v2, etc.) have been patched under Linux even on the Core 2 Duo’s.

Most flagships have only supported 3 years of Android releases

It is very rare that these phones get a kernel upgrade. Most of them keep using the old kernel with newer versions of Android on top. This is very different from the Librem 5 and PinePhone which use recent kernels and I fully expect both of them to keep getting OS upgrades for the next decade

So getting back to the title of this thread, I know it is all good to have the decade of updates, but I have also been waiting over three years since January 2019 to get one of these in my hands. I am aware that as time goes by that the closed source proprietary drivers in my Pixel XL are not getting fixed, and I should really be looking at a Pixel 5a (as reportedly the Pixel 6a will not have a headphone socket).
Every now and again a few L5 handsets trickle out, keeping my hopes alive and postponing my shopping trip to the local grey market Google importer. Yes Google don’t even have a presence here but I still view all the locally sold and warrenteed Android models as even worse.
So I come to the puri.sm forum hoping to find out how shipping is going better.

What are you on about? The known speculative execution bugs (spectre, meltdown, spectre v2, etc.) have been patched under Linux even on the Core 2 Duo’s.

No, proper fixes to some of the spectre family require microcode updates. Fixes to the Linux kernel were necessary but not sufficient without the microcode fixes.

2 Likes

Interesting. I was unaware of this. Thanks.

I think that everyone is disappointed with how long it is taking. It takes 52 weeks to get a new order of i.MX 8M Quad processors, and the L5 didn’t get FCC certification until July 2021.

Actually, Qualcomm does provide open source drivers for Google Pixels, but Qualcomm hasn’t released kernels upgrades for the Snapdragons used by the Pixel 1-5. For example, the Pixel 3 is still using Linux 4.9. In theory, Google can provide kernel upgrades for the Pixel 6, since it uses Google’s custom processor, but it is based on a MediaTek processor, and MediaTek generally doesn’t provide kernel upgrades for its processors. I noticed that Google is only promising 3 years of Android upgrades for the Pixel 6, but 5 years of security updates, so that probably means that the kernel will always be stuck on version 5.10.

5 years of support for the Pixel 6 is better than 3 years of support for the Pixel 5, but it is nothing like NXP providing kernel upgrades until Jan. 2033 and probably longer, and Purism promising that the Librem 5 will be able to run on mainline Linux in the future, so the Librem 5 can be ported to any distro that wants to support it.

4 Likes

Of course I don’t know what’s worse, the security flaws in older hardware or the hypothetical embedded hardware that spies on you in the new ones!

3 Likes

It depends on your threat model. In principle, you can use them if you don’t run any untrusted code.

1 Like

That’s why I will hang on to my vehicles as long as possible, and avoid any “smart” devices as much as possible, I like my devices decentralized like my currency.

That is mostly true (specifically and exclusively for the Intel speculative execution bugs) but I recall that this was even exploitable via Javascript in a browser. So you would either need to

• ensure that, despite the older hardware, you also have a patched (mitigating) browser, or
  • your definition of “don’t run any untrusted code” includes “don’t run any Javascript from untrusted web sites” (which in practice for many people would mean: disable Javascript for all web sites possibly except for a small number of whitelisted web sites).

Avoiding running untrusted code is good advice across every computer ever. :wink:

But we digress from an 3-year-old order for a Librem 5 …

1 Like

Perhaps I can amuse you with a chart of the order lead times. We are actually back down to “just” 50 months now :slight_smile:. I expect that number to go down now, as the number of orders in the 2nd half 2018 was way lower than in the 1st.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t the order dates be up to May-July 2018 now?

Edit: I was referring to this, but maybe it’s not fully confirmed yet. Disregard. :slight_smile:

Based on the reply that other user got from Purism it seems late 2018, 2019 and beyond will be later this year or next year for fulfillment.

I talked someone who backed on May 30 and had not yet anything shipped, so no. The last confirmed shipment of a regular L5 seems March 1.

1 Like

Will it arrive before 4G is fully deprecated?

Probably yes. Has any country announced plans, with a date, to shut down the 4G network?

In mine there are only “plans with a date” for the shutdown of the 3G network, and still a few years away.

1 Like

5G is designed to share spectrum with 4G, so that the carriers won’t have to lose all their investment in 4G when they start adding 5G. I expect 4G to be around for the next decade in urban areas and the next 15 years in rural areas. At this point only half of new phones even have a 5G modem, so we are pretty safe for a while.

Of course I have little hope for VoLTE support on my Linux phones in Bolivia where I live, so I’m hoping that the 3G networks will last another 5 years. Sometimes its good to live in the periphery where new tech arrives late!

2 Likes