It’s been 3 years since I ordered my Librem 5.. and never received it

It depends on your threat model. In principle, you can use them if you don’t run any untrusted code.

1 Like

That’s why I will hang on to my vehicles as long as possible, and avoid any “smart” devices as much as possible, I like my devices decentralized like my currency.

That is mostly true (specifically and exclusively for the Intel speculative execution bugs) but I recall that this was even exploitable via Javascript in a browser. So you would either need to

• ensure that, despite the older hardware, you also have a patched (mitigating) browser, or
  • your definition of “don’t run any untrusted code” includes “don’t run any Javascript from untrusted web sites” (which in practice for many people would mean: disable Javascript for all web sites possibly except for a small number of whitelisted web sites).

Avoiding running untrusted code is good advice across every computer ever. :wink:

But we digress from an 3-year-old order for a Librem 5 …

1 Like

Perhaps I can amuse you with a chart of the order lead times. We are actually back down to “just” 50 months now :slight_smile:. I expect that number to go down now, as the number of orders in the 2nd half 2018 was way lower than in the 1st.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t the order dates be up to May-July 2018 now?

Edit: I was referring to this, but maybe it’s not fully confirmed yet. Disregard. :slight_smile:

Based on the reply that other user got from Purism it seems late 2018, 2019 and beyond will be later this year or next year for fulfillment.

I talked someone who backed on May 30 and had not yet anything shipped, so no. The last confirmed shipment of a regular L5 seems March 1.

1 Like

Will it arrive before 4G is fully deprecated?

Probably yes. Has any country announced plans, with a date, to shut down the 4G network?

In mine there are only “plans with a date” for the shutdown of the 3G network, and still a few years away.

1 Like

5G is designed to share spectrum with 4G, so that the carriers won’t have to lose all their investment in 4G when they start adding 5G. I expect 4G to be around for the next decade in urban areas and the next 15 years in rural areas. At this point only half of new phones even have a 5G modem, so we are pretty safe for a while.

Of course I have little hope for VoLTE support on my Linux phones in Bolivia where I live, so I’m hoping that the 3G networks will last another 5 years. Sometimes its good to live in the periphery where new tech arrives late!

2 Likes