I've got my Librem 5. What should I install on it? :)

slide show is fine for aspen …

He has started installing some more software.

Sadly no. There is no substitute to Crysis. :smile:

I expected lot more to be shared by now. And at least some short videos. It’s not that it changes anything (still gotta wait 4 Evergreen), but you just wanna see more of it and get some reassurances :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’ve got new pics, installing and running Librem Office on the phone, looks nice.

18 Likes

I’ve been waiting for years to run libreoffice on my phone. This is going to be awesome.

10 Likes

Me too! I know a lot of people think it’s crazy to have a full office suite running on a phone… but I love it! Hook up a keyboard and SHAZAM you can get real work done on the go!

And everyone feel free to grab the shots I’m posting various places and post them here if I don’t get to it first. Got a LOT more coming. I’m having fun. :wink:

10 Likes

I can’t wait for this phone. LibreOffice running on it is awesome.

I can imagine doing NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month… writing 50,000 words of a story in November) on the Librem 5 :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s great! It really looks great as well. I can see some effort went into making the UI ready for mobile.

Also it isn’t crazy to have a full office suite on a phone. That has saved my butt many times in the past.

2 Likes

Ooh! I always use Google Docs mobile to edit on the go and have wanted to use Libreoffice instead for a long time, but only had a viewer!

(Ankaŭ, vi parolas Esperanton, ĉu ne? Via uzantnomo estas esperanta.)

1 Like

It’s not crazy at all! My phone (along with my keyboard, mouse, and OTG adapter) is my dairly driver for writing school work in Google Docs, so I’m just happy to have an open source alternative :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

I am astonished at how well the LibreOffice Writer GUI fits onto the phone screen! It’s not perfect, but it could have been so much worse! You might need to go into landscape to access the Tools menu, and of course this is just the main window, but still: it’s better than I expected!

3 Likes

There is a lot of wasted screen real estate, which is a general gnome issue, but even worse on librem5. But great that it runs.

4 Likes

So, that’s all he managed to do over the last couple of days? Nothing new here…

2 Likes

… it seems that they are only able to create attention, raise hopes and post pictures of kill switches in 8 different angles right now. Pretty annoying, this shiny american marketing.

And the new post here needs to be translated from polished alternative facts ot real world language.

Marketing: “ship thousands of Librem 5s to backers over the coming months”
Real World: Until Q4.20, so more than 14 months. But they make it look like 3 or 4

Marketing: “People have been using their Librem 5 while traveling, working and relaxing to connect to WiFi hotspots”
Real World: 3 People. Todd, the chairman guy and Mr. Lunduke.

Communication: Still #PureDisappointment !!!

5 Likes

At this point i think it’s intentional because they are trying to prevent people from getting a bad device experience (no heatpipe in aspen, antennas are slated to change location, kill switches will be improved a bit, bluetooth and camera don’t work). So instead of saying “Sorry, we had to delay!” they turned “Shipping” into a internal testing pretty much. Not a fan of that.

If this is the case, it might explain why lunduke is posting such little content about his device. He doesn’t want to show off all the bugs and issues it has right now, rather advertise and show off the cool parts.

6 Likes

this belongs to “poor communication” amplified by “lack of transparency”. see, there are many speculations and questions and neither of them got direct answer in the likes of “yeah well for your own benefit we’re again ought to delay, but be assured that is the last of them, here’s the device, we’re Purism so having ocd to make it perfect, be we know now when to stop”

3 Likes

My user name it’s in Esperanto, but I don’t speak it, I was trying to learn lot of years ago, thats why my user name means user in Esperanto.

I just realize I understood almost everything you said without translator hahaha

About the topic I think the people talking about what Purism it’s doing are right, but I understand them, a lot of people will be pissed if they announce another delay and they are a small company.
I will wait for my phone trying to help all I can and just that, there is no point on be pushing.

3 Likes

I think it’s blatantly obvious to most observers that Aspen has been distributed to very few people, in a thinly-veiled attempt to claim that shipping was on-time when the product wasn’t really ready to ship.

Maybe it makes me an idiot, but I just find Purism’s endless optimism about delivery dates amusing, more than anything else. The project is going about as well as I expected, given their track record from developing the laptops. I trust them to deliver the product… eventually. :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

It would be cool.to geht a Video Ehen the L5 is connected with a monitor. To See how good the performance and usability are; even with software like the LibreOfficate.

Will.it be the Linux desktop replacement I’ m waiting for???

And what about riot - the matrix client?

Thanks, ch

1 Like