Just got my delivery announcement mail

If it’s the general estimate mail, not your personal modem selection/ address confirmation mail, then I’m pretty sure they just send that to every original backer who did not yet receive a phone.
But even if you get the confirmation mail, you could just reply with “No thanks, Fir please”. I mean, as long as you don’t confirm address and modem, they’ll not force-ship it I guess :wink:

8 Likes

my situation is like this:

• order to UK on 28th of September 2017
  • assigned to Evergreen
  • got a Shipping Estimate Mail today (27th of January 2021)
  • it estimates shipping between March 15th - 19th (2021)
    im really exited now.
    not sure how customs and vat are going to work for me after leaving the EU, but i know DHL are charging for the extra paperwork, some one has been charged £81 extra for a pair of £20 shoes from italy to be delivered into UK.
    The phone will be worth it, just not sure Brexit is.
    Ho Hum
6 Likes

What was your modem choice, and why?
If you don’t mind saying.

1 Like

If you were asking me, as the Gemalto does not seem to be an available choice, you essential can choose between the US, Europe or Asian version of the Broadmobi modem. (Actually, it would have been nice if the modem selection email had listed the available choices :grinning:). I got the European version, living in the EU…

4 Likes

Good point! Calling @Mladen to take notice and make it so the modem selection email is improved :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

Hi, it would be nice, if the european people could post the arriving of thier phone here, too:

2 Likes

Just adding my data point:
Ordered/Backed the campaign: September 18, 2017.
Received my shipping notice today February 15 2021.
I am a US resident.

5 Likes

Backed the campaign (there was no phone to order): 19 September 2017.
Received my shipping notice today 15 February 2021.
EU resident (Finland/Sweden).

5 Likes

Did you get a delivery estimate date?

Yes, it should be delivered in about two weeks time.

Looks like they’re working through the 600s-700s, then.

Re actual/imminent shipping, not initial estimated shipping, I mean.

Which is interesting as I did not expect any shipping to commence during the Chinese New Year festivities.

Update: Got the ‘choose your modem’-mail yesterday (15th of February) with the announcement, the phone would be shipped within the next two weeks.

6 Likes

Same here.

Ordered Sept 17 2017
shipping notice for modem selection and address verification: February 15 2021
To be shipped in the next two weeks

7 Likes

Probably some of the inventory is in the U.S. already, waiting to be assembled, flashed, and tested before shipping.

2 Likes

In theory, Brexit “shouldn’t” make too much difference to the cost of importing a Librem 5, because shipments from the US were already subject to VAT, import duty (though, as far as I can tell, duty is not applicable for a phone) and shipping company customs handling fees (which can vary wildly). In practice: who knows? By the way, people in the UK should be aware that there is a scam going on at the moment where the scammer speculatively emails people asking for payment for packages, on the off chance that the recipient might be waiting for a package. (No doubt trying to take advantage of all the Brexit confusion.)

1 Like

You may be right. I was only guessing (hence my inclusion of the word “probably”), based on someone’s assumption that Chinese New Year would grind things to a halt. Admittedly I’m not an expert on these things.

What are you referring to here?

Yes, we planned ahead with our Librem 5 manufacturing runs so they were timed with Chinese New Year in mind, so we had ample stock for us to perform final testing, customizations, and flashing in California.

And yes, while we of course perform testing throughout each stage of the manufacturing process, we do final testing in California. As we’ve discovered and publicized during our Birch batch, sometimes the final burn-in testing we perform when we prepare a particular device to ship can uncover problems that weren’t detected ahead of time.

20 Likes

The email I received talked about a screen protector and a USB-C hub in the store. I wrote to support that I can not find the USB-C hub in the store-where is it? I have not received an answer yet. Moreover, the store says “privacy screen protector”. It is unclear if it protects the privacy or the screen or both? Do you know?

Finally I do not trust DHL with customs. Do you know if USPS can be used? I hope support will answer to me before the 19/Feb deadline they gave me for ordering accessories with the phone.

1 Like