Just What Is The "Lifetime" of the L5 device?

With all the hype over the 3 tier pricing for using the L5 phone caused me to read the other hype:

Lifetime updates that actually extend your phone’s life

When you purchase a Librem 5, you can be confident that we will continue to provide security updates, privacy improvements, bug fixes, and new features… for the lifetime of your device, without compromising performance.* Your Librem will stay secure and responsive for years to come.Like a good wine, it will probably get better over time, not worse.

Question is, just how long is the “lifetime of” ones L5 device? Will it become deceased when carriers no longer support a bit of old hardware, or when a subscription runs out, or *when the battery dies?

and:

Like a good wine, it will probably get better over time, not worse.

“probably”??? Probably to me means maybe, might, perhaps, possibly, could be… etcetera. Sounds like a lack of confidence.

~s

1 Like

No. It’s still fundamentally a GNU/Linux computer, after all, which will continue to receive software updates and even OS upgrades, either from Purism, or, in the event of Purism’s untimely demise, from some other organization or community that will want to keep phosh or other mobile Linux distros afloat.

And even if it couldn’t be used officially on any mobile network, the dialer and messaging apps would still be functional for SIP dialing with VOIP, or for XMPP messaging and calling. If those apps “die,” then someone will have written new apps to replace the functionality.

If batteries become no longer obtainable, the Librem 5 can still be plugged into a wall socket or another computer, or connected by bluetooth or wifi to get internet connectivity. If the hardware itself justs dies and replacement internal components are suddenly unavailable, then you’re out of luck… as with any piece of equipment.

Unless in that event you’re able to find a used one for sale.

5 Likes

As long as you want it to last.

Not necessarily, as you can always replace and/or upgrade the modular hardware components. I have already done so for my Librem 5 USA with the Wi-Fi modem:

See also:

Relevant quote:

3 Likes

The parts are easily accessible and the schematics are available to review.

The i.MX 8M CPU has a promised lifetime of 10-15 years (I’m not sure the exact number of years), according to their Longevity Program. Should the CPU fail and Purism isn’t around, in theory, you should be able to go to an electronics repair shop, and they could possibly solder on a new CPU, provided they have the skills to do so.

You can probably find similar batteries in places like AliExpress, though I haven’t confirmed any of these since Purism offers them in their store.

As far as the software goes, there are alternative images you can flash such as Mobian.

3 Likes

My quip is about the updates/upgrades for life, but on second glance, that post is about the OS, not all the 'wares may be controlled by Puri. For example, a new and improved Chat-X200 (or whatever) subscription for only x.99 Mo, or Pro version for only … get my drift? Happens all the time.

I am being very leery due to experience. I think I read Rankins theory before - looks very familiar.

As a side note, how is the new modem working for you?

~s

1 Like

My experience with the SparkLAN Wi-Fi/Bluetooth module is great and seamless. Since installing it within my Librem 5 USA along with flashing the associated firmware jail, I have not had any issues with it whatsoever.

It depends on how the individual customer wants to use the Librem 5. If the customer wants to use the Librem 5 as a vanilla mobile phone then neither of these is appropriate (even though the claims are accurate).

This problem is much bigger than the Librem 5. I have seen many products over the years that offer a “lifetime warranty” … but what indeed does that actually mean?

Also maybe usable with an external powerbank (provided that at the time the USB-C port of the Librem 5 is not otherwise being used). Of course that would lead to a fairly bulky combination.

1 Like

Right, but I was speaking to the “what if” scenario that Sharon presented:

But yeah, aside from that, it would be the user’s decision.

2 Likes

There are other points to consider about lifetime as well, in old thread about this: https://forums.puri.sm/t/how-long-is-the-lifetime-of-librem-5/, particularly have a look at these good comments: How long is the lifetime of Librem 5? - #16 by amosbatto and How long is the lifetime of Librem 5? - #19 by amosbatto (we even made graphs about this back then :nerd_face: …wayyyy before we even had the device).

2 Likes