Keyboard what a joke!

I’m pretty sure that’s already been attempted.

1 Like

So what was the result? Not enough interest?

As you can see, they’re not offering any other keyboard layouts.

Not directly answering the question but there was a poll: Poll: Keyboad-Layout Librem 14

This is not a compromise, this is a defect. And I have it on my current laptop Lenovo Ideapad 510S-14ISK - very similar keyboard layout (I didn’t realized the issue, when I bought it 3 years ago).

I’ve managed to live with it by remapping the keys:

• Right SHIFT switched with UP Arrow
  • Right CTRL switched with LEFT Arrow

Yes, the right SHIFT is too far away, but also the right CTRL is too close to the ‘J’ key !!

So yes, my arrows keys are really messed up right now, but - somewhat luckly - I’m a vim user.

All the typing tutorials that I ever seen recommend using the right SHIFT to upper case the left hand keys… I see people here having success typing ‘Q’, ‘A’, ‘Z’, ‘!’ using the left SHIFT… well… that’s weird/not ergonomic/awkward/slow - IMO…

I can’t afford this laptop. I’m commenting here hoping to stop this defect spreading even more… especially on Purism hardware which I like.

5 Likes

Just found this:

“I’ve made a big mistake… I accidently chose one with such an unforgivable flaw in the keyboard, that my constant typos - while I was making notes during Monday morning meetings on the projector - became a running joke thoughout the company.” – Linus (Linus Tech Tips)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhq3AzEXLm0

That was 2019 model, 2020 model already carries this keyboard:

Microsoft solved this elegantly imo on the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 by making the up/down arrows half normal height. Never felt it required any extra effort at all to use those up and down keys and had full right shift key and full right and left keys. Just wanted to share this in case it could be implemented (I am also adjusting to the small right shift).

Half-height arrows keys are a hard no-go for me, though. You can never please everyone.

1 Like

That’s what I thought too. Until that key made me realize that I was using rshift like a lot. I got used to it after a few hours, though

Before I bought the L-14, I knew that I was going to dislike intensely the keyboard. So it was no surprise when the machine arrived and I immediately intensely disliked the keyboard. I touch type and use both shift keys so using the L-14 keyboard I am always making mistakes. The shift key is in the wrong position.

Since I also use a trackpoint (I can touch type), I use it with my L-14 and, when I travel, I carry the keyboard with me. Without the keyboard, the L-14 is unusable.

Honestly, if @MrChromebox or anyone else, could give me a solution to reverse the PgUp and Right Shift keys, I would be very happy!

swapping the keys in the layout in the EC Firmware and reflashing would be the easiest way

1 Like

This is how I’m doing it on a Debian 11 bullseye system with XFCE on my Lenovo laptop. The procedure involves finding the right file with the keycodes and edit it to swap the codes. Please note, that it will affect also all the keyboards you attach to the laptop. However, it doesn’t work in the real consoles (CTRL+ALT+F1)…

So, find the keycodes file under use:
$ setxkbmap -print | grep keycodes
xkb_keycodes { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };

So, in my case it is called evdev.

Backup and edit that file: /usr/share/X11/xkb/keycodes/evdev

Swapping Up with Right Shift can be done by commenting the old values and add the new ones swapped:

//<RTSH> = 62;
    <RTSH> = 111;
   //<UP> = 111;
    <UP> = 62;

That’s all - save and … restart…

Probably it can be done better. I don’t know… That’s what works for me without problems since 4 years. As I said previously I also swapped the Left Arrow with the Right Ctrl too in the same file.

2 Likes

Thanks I’m quite the newbie so I have to look at this carefully before I start doing anything

Did anyone figure out where NumLock is on the Librem 14?

nothing to figure out, it doesn’t exist

1 Like

I used a modified /lib/udev/hwdb.d/60-keyboard.hwdb file to swap two keys on my external keyboard.

It’s some time ago that I configured it, so please excuse if I do not remember all the background and details correct.

This should work independently of the running gui.

The file needs to be copied to /etc/udev/hwdb.d/60-keyboard.hwdb to overrule the file in /lib/.

The part I added looks like this:

###########################################################
# Cherry Strait 3.0 2020-04-06 cv
###########################################################

# exchange 'einfg' and 'pos1' to have a 'pos1'-'ende' combination side by side
# keycodes 'einfg'=70049 'pos1'=7004a (as shown by evtest)
# remap insert to be pos1
evdev:input:b0003v046Ap0180*
 KEYBOARD_KEY_7004a=insert

# remap pos1 to be insert
evdev:input:b0003v046Ap0180*
 KEYBOARD_KEY_70049=home

It works fine for me. This might work to exchange with some other key on the L14. When I get mine I’ll probably look into it, because I’m typing 10-fingers blind and am using .

Also this is the place where Purism worked around an error in the keyboard firmware of the Librem13 which stops the german keyboard of L13s work as expected. You can find the section if you search for “Librem”.

On my external keyboard I mechanically exchanged the key caps to follow my configuration. It worked so-so. One of the keys does not feel the same when pressed even though it works. I don’t know how difficult it will be to do the same to the keyboard of the L14, but I would be really interested in experiences if anybody tried yet.

1 Like

I do not want to get used to this.

I have more use for the shift button than the up arrow, so tbh I would rather the up arrow be smaller and the right shift to be at least twice as big/half the size of a normal shift key.

Macbook has a nice keyboard layout, where they just add space to the bottom row’s height, allowing them to have a full size shift key and the arrows are nice in proper position. All Purism has to do is for their v2 Librem, is to request a modification to the keyboard manufacturer.

1 Like

It would be great if there was a permanent solution for this on the Librem14 only (while not affecting an external keyboard).

I normally type with an external keyboard, but it would be good to have the option to use the Librem keyboard when necessary. I type using both shift keys so I find the Librem keyboard unusable. It’s very frustrating for things such as passwords which aren’t visible at entry because I don’t realize what’s happened until a few incorrect entries, and typing long commands in the terminal because I do things like go to capitalize a letter and I hit the up arrow which brings up the last item in history and erases what I’ve written. It’s not something that I want to get used to.

I normally swap ESC and Caps Lock in Sway / Gnome, which I like to have across all my keyboards. But it would be nice if there was a way to permanently swap up arrow and right shift on the Librem only, because I’d like to keep the keys as normal on my external keyboard.

I really don’t understand the decision to have such a small right shift key. Macbooks, Dells, etc. have small up / down or all directional keys which are perfectly fine.

3 Likes