L5 My Hoyoki arrived, to run phone through desktop?

What make and model? I guess there’s an outside chance that I or someone else will have the same monitor to test.

Let me make it easier then.

Do lsusb on the Librem 5 before you plug the dock into the Librem 5. Then plug the dock into the Librem 5. Then do lsusb again. Note down what changed.

Only report here things that newly appeared in the output from the second run of lsusb i.e. ignore anything that was already there. Just type in to the forum the USB ids and the description after the USB id (being careful to transcribe the USB ids correctly).

Also, that information should be partly the same when the keyboard and mouse are visible on the tower. So, where the information is the same, you can cheat and copy the information from the output of lsusb on the tower. NB: The Bus number and Device number will very likely not be the same between tower and Librem 5 but I am not interested in the Bus number and Device number.

Even if you can’t report any output at all, it should be relatively obvious whether a keyboard / mouse appear, or whether anything at all appears. ???

You didn’t answer my question about the make of keyboard / mouse combo but here’s what one looks like for me on a desktop computer.

Bus XXX Device XXX: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver

Samsung SyncMaster S27B370
Both VGA and HDMI
Unfortunately, Samsung doesn’t support it’s monitors like they use to. The best Spec I have is at Manuals.ca There is probably a manuals dot everywhere else too.
As for the “lsusb” I’ll do now. Hope the monitor info above is useful.
Doing the mini-obstacle now :smirk:

~f

EDIT: Btw, the monitor displays the VGH, (tower) connection direct from tower to monitor. so I disconnected that and rebooted everything with just HDMI - still nothing.

Unfortunately no Samsung monitors or TVs here. Maybe someone else at least has a Samsung monitor in that range to test with the Librem 5.

Bear in mind that monitors have various behaviours regarding how they handle multiple video inputs. So you definitely did the right thing by disconnecting the VGA input (in case the monitor uses VGA in preference to HDMI if both are connected). Some monitors will automatically select the input if exactly one input is connected. Some monitors might require you to choose the input manually which you would do using the On Screen Display (OSD) and buttons (usually at bottom right) on monitor.

Does the tower support HDMI output? If so, it would be better just to use HDMI exclusively and that way confirm that HDMI from tower to monitor (including HDMI cable) is working.

Well my browser is telling me that manuals.ca is hosted in France anyway.

For my country it is telling me that “This domain may be for sale” so apparently not everywhere. I declined the suggestion of buying the domain. :wink:

@irvinewade What monitor do I need to use for the device so I can use the recommended dock/er for the L5 Evergreen assumed not made in USA?

Maybe if I buy a card with HDMI. But, what has the tower to do with it?
The tests were done w/ then /w tower.

Both.Wireless Blackweb mouse/keyboard.

Test results coming in about 1 hour.
~s

Let’s take that as a “no” then.

As such, nothing - but it’s fault isolation. At this stage HDMI is not working but you don’t know what part of it is causing the problem.

Looking on the web, that has a nano receiver. Just plugging that into the tower and posting the line of output from lsusb from the tower that pertains to the nano receiver would be helpful.

In principle, if you have a USB-C male to USB-A female adapter (small and cheap), you could plug the nano receiver directly into the Librem 5 and determine whether that arrangement works. That could eliminate the dock from the puzzle.

@irvinewade

Sorry, had to do it the hard way.

lsusb without hub

irv-lsusb-no-hub-1

lsusb with hub

irv-lsusb-with-hub-1

and the cat

irv-cat-with-hub-1

In case I forgot, I tried it with cabled keyboard/mouse and a 8" HDMI monitor. Still nothing.
I rechecked the suggested connections and their order (above).

I thought of the Lapdock but 2 things - (1) it’s about $700.00 to me and (2) scared it won’t work either. This, from all accounts, should work. Hug, L5, cable,

Is that a light or a train? :slight_smile:
~f

OK, so that output shows that a Video Adaptor has appeared (good) but no keyboard and mouse has appeared (bad).

Have you gone into Settings to see whether a second monitor has appeared?

Shows no recognition of charging at all.

I’ll have to wait till I can get a ride in to town. Digital devices - :poop:

What is bad? wireless kboard/mouse, wired kboard/mouse, HUB,

L5 > Settings > Devices > Night/Day for One device. Nothing else there.

Frankly, I don’t have much faith in either the devices any more , the hub or cables anything between.
I will also try it on a ASUS, Toshiba, Dell laptops. I can also try in on more monitors, but need to take down our network for that so it will have to wait until April 29 when we do maintenance.

I don’t know what other tests I can do to prove it’s not the “phone” at fault.

Got this in Jan 25. Only thing it can do is really P me O.

~s

It is bad that no keyboard or mouse appeared even though you had one plugged in to the dock.

I don’t remember if I sent the stats for the cabled in. I know nothing worked, but didn’t lsusb today and let you know. You are my only hope - no pressure :slight_smile:
~f

Have you tried plugging in the monitor last (i.e. after the phone is plugged into the hub).
Probably wont matter, but I think it makes a difference for my Samsung tv.

1 Like

In that case you might consider also getting a standalone USB-C to HDMI converter as well, while you are there.

I am mindful that you have already sunk plenty of dollars into this and without getting much joy - so the two suggestions (USB-C M to USB-A F adapter; USB-C to HDMI converter) are intentionally relatively cheap items that can fault isolate.

Did you buy the hub from Purism?

It’s a wonderfully super great idea. But I have tried it already :slight_smile: Makes two of us.
Also tried it with k/board/mouse wifi, and wired, and with another monitor.
I think that as of now, the only thing I didn’t try requires a gun - which I don’t have.
~s

No. :flushed: When I keyed it to a search engine, Amazon had it @ almost half the price - what can I say. They are sending me another one, provide I return the other. That’ll be about 3 -4 weeks. I need it last month :slight_smile:
~s

You’re confident that the device that Amazon sells is actually the same device?

But, yeah, if you are going to buy something from Amazon then I guess you can’t ask Purism for support for the device you bought.

[quote=“irvinewade, post:21, topic:19718”]
You’re confident that the device that Amazon sells is actually the same device?[/quote]

Yes. Same.

I didn’t feel great about it. But I don’t feel guilty. On the other hand, I paid a total of $59.21 (CAD) including shipping and handling. I think Amazon uses their own trucks, and my last experience was with DHL and it was a bad one.
With Puri, It would cost me CAD $67. just for the product plus add shipping, taxes, and duty.
Sometimes I can be very charitable, but for this, I had to do what I had to do.

Building a loyal following needs to offer something in return. Gotta admit, there are a great bunch of folk manning the Help Me arena here, and more help just searching the posts.

Hoyoki is a great tool and I’d love for it to work so I can use the The LapDock looks good… but, I don’t like the cost, about $546. plus shipping, and taxes to me, and what if it doesn’t help and it turns out it is the L5! Yoiks!

If I get the Ltop setup with PureOs and test it to the Ltop screen and mouse. I think you mentioned that the monitor (Samsung) wasn’t detected. Using the Ltop might probably point towards issue not faulting L5. If not monitor or L5 , then? Do you know any exorcists .:slight_smile: ?
I see one probable immediate issue with that - will L5 charge. But I’m going to try anyway.

Just a FYI, I have the dock from amazon too. It works perfectly with my new Librem5.

1 Like

Perhaps you would be good enough to review the post above: L5 My Hoyoki arrived, to run phone through desktop?

In particular, I’ve given an unordered list not an ordered list i.e. I don’t know whether the order in which you make the connections is relevant.

And if you wanted to be super nice, you could post a photo of your setup.

1 Like

Thanks @lo0. Can you tell me how your set is? i.e. Is your monitor HDMI, Wifi keyboard & mouse? I’d appreciate it. With the great help from others’ here, we’re trying to narrow down, to which is the culprit; L5, Hub, cables, monitor/keyboard or mouse. Oh, and me, of course, can also be the culprit.

~s

Yeah so in my setup I have the Hoyoki dock. Connected to the dock is a 32inch 1440p monitor via hdmi, 1g ethernet via the rj45 port, a librem key, another usb 2.0 hub that has my logitech trackball and microsoft keyboard attached to it, and the included librem 5 usb-c power cord. The last thing I plug in is the librem 5. I switch this dock between the librem 5 and my librem 14, works great with both.

1 Like