Let's crowdfund some development to get PureOS Crimson ready for L5!

This sounds absolutely not good - it sounds very very bad. because developers are rare and if You dont feed them they will go for other projects where They can earn the money needed for life.

Purism has stated to become a hardware company…

1 Like

thanks for the reply and info. This is what I suspected, but it is good to hear confirmation. I am hopefull, and keeping fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Todd is 100% in support of a thriving software ecosystem that brings value to the PureOS ecosystem and gives back to the extended FOSS community. Development staff is incredibly talented and precious, and Purism will never relegate itself to being solely a hardware manufacturer. Once these financial hurdles are overcome, Purism will be postured for faster shipping (done), timely refunds (getting there), and rapid software development (getting there).

21 Likes

There is not even somewhat like a Beta of Crimson? And money to find is an hard job…

Better the OS development of the L5 would be done by another group like Mobian or PostmarketOS
And Purism is doing if possible the PHOSH components

Saves lots of ressources and money.

2 Likes

That,s why i,m very Nervous about losing @dos @dcz for Librem 5. Why? this both are Fancy Full Stack Programmer.

I going today to buy some part from Purism to helping a little, whatever if Amazon has more cheaper part i want Purism and Free Software!

4 Likes

You have taken what Purism actually wrote and lost all the nuance.

However this is digressing substantially from the original hyperbolic topic. So best to pursue this in more relevant topics e.g. Let's crowdfund some development to get PureOS Crimson ready for L5!

3 Likes

I’m convinced that all problems will be addressed. It’s just a matter of patience.
@Purism:
Keep up the good work!!!

4 Likes

So we were back on start:

We have a nice hardware with blackbox drivers and components, and an unmaintained? old Debian which nobody seems to maintain and develop? Delivered unhardened and maybe nobody has the time to look at the FOSS code for security holes or other problems. Nor they gave us any help in minimiznig the horrible energy consumption if You want to use it on a daily base.

I feel that Purism let us completely alone.

And that is NO problem we can solve with a crowdfounding campaign. If the devs are gone they are gone.

As an result for me I will try to get an maintained and active developed build for either Mobian or Postmarketos.

And for postmarketos I am also not too optimistic. Maybe a handful of active developers for dozens of devices they want to support. Maybe that also be hang in an uncertain state.

1 Like

ATM for the L5 I cannot see any roadmap or announcements. Only the information that they are short of money and they have the plan for becoming a hardware based company

As long as the base Debian is unhardened and obviously unmaintained old on the L5 there is enough room for us users to worry about this situations and have no actively maintained service on the L5 :frowning:

And not to forget the blackbox-drivers and firmware of modem and WiFi module inside

1 Like

Blackbox drivers are overrated a bit. With due diligence one can analyze those binaries, at least for backdoors. It’s definitely not impossible. Of course I’m not saying that burden should be placed on users, just that it’s not some kind of magic.

2 Likes

I pretty much do, as L5 is (intentionally) designed in a way that limits those particulars issues, since having an alternative to them is so unlikely. This is not to say that I wouldn’t like it other way but this at least is better with L5 than with alternatives.

1 Like

On the PP someone hacked the modem… and optimized it a lot. Maybe this is an at least equal situation in safety

2 Likes

PureOs Byzantium is based on Debian Bullseye which still gets security updates.
For example there was a security update for apache2-bin yesterday in Debian Bullseye which is already available in PureOS Byzantium for the Librem 5.

3 Likes

Just a hint about developing that is going on for Phosh:

While I write we got a new merge request. All I read is “mimimi, everything is dying” while you don’t even try to understand the complexity behind the scene (including things that are running currently). All these changes will instantly be added when we reach Crimson. Devs say “Crimson is coming after a little time after next hardware release” and you still keep “mimimi, nothing will ever change again”.

I totally understand your frustration, but it’s just annoying to repeat wrong or misleading things over and over again. Sit down, take a breath and wait what happens after next hardware release. Purism is known for delaying plans and bad communication. That’s nothing new. It’s even better these days (thanks @JCS). But you will see, things are going on as they always did before.

15 Likes

As Librem 5 it is formally a Gnu Phone this DO NOT have Driver-Blackboxes, but Firmware-Blackboxes. However if you try to use it FOSS or Opensource System on Librem 5 Like PMOS, Mobian or Whatever FOSSes systems then you will Lose the Control that will compromising the Security of Librem 5 with potentially more blackboxes than.

Purism is working to get a compatible GSModule to OpenFirmware. However the Pinephone and OpenFirmware work really Unreliable probably due to a Silicon Bug.

5 Likes

Out of curiosity: where did you get the phoshbot messages? Is this a public room?

2 Likes

Yes, it’s called “Phosh Changes”. I guess you can look for it and join. It’s not implemented to chat, but to get important updates centralized with links to git pages.

5 Likes

Given the information from @JCS just a few posts above yours, I think it’s quite reasonable there’s no public roadmap. A roadmap would very likely be interpreted as a commitment, and then there would be many disappointed members posting about the lack of progress relative to that “commitment”.

Also, Purism has historically received a lot of flak for slow progress and missed deadlines, so I suppose they will be pretty cautious about what they communicate with respect to roadmaps.

I get that people are worried - I’m worried too. As an early backer of the L5 I can add that it’s not the first time progress is slow, neither the first time I’m worried. However, I’m certain that venting all our anxiety into the forum won’t help anyone.

I decided years ago to give Purism some slack. My impression was, and still is, that they have acted in good faith with respect to delivering a functioning phone. (At the cost of not immediately fulfilling refund promises, and people have been justifiably upset.)

Eventually I got my phone. It turned out that Purism had in fact kept working their way through various obstacles while I was biting my nails. During that time several forum members repeatedly called them out as fraudsters. Not a single one came back to say that maybe it wasn’t a scam after all. Their allegations remain in the forum to this day.

So, I think our best course of action is to speculate a little less and help with the cash-strapped situation. Buy Purism products* for our needs, or take over orders that would otherwise be refund requests*. (I did that, and am very happy with my second L5.) Or join @FranklyFlawless’ initiative to fund development while Purism get back on track.

Edit after feedback from @SteveC :

*Please don’t follow my suggestion blindly if you have an unfilled refund request or otherwise feel it would mean throwing good money after bad.

Instead, please show your support for those who provide Purism with cash flow for refunds e.g. by buying items or by taking over orders.

13 Likes

This…
and:

Supporting Purism and giving them slack is the best way to achieve their and our goal.

5 Likes

I think they need much more money tan a crowdfounding here can make.

Paying some devs fulltime would at least cost some hundred thousand bucks. And developing an OS like PureOS cannot be done only witch one or to developers.

1 Like