Librem 13 rubber foot

as I understand it the original posterā€™s rubber foot has been lost. in this situation, how are us customers supposed to know what kind of connector the replacement rubber foot should have without ripping another one of the feet off to look at it? and then measuring it with calipers?

2 Likes

I havenā€™t taken mine off but I suppose they are simply glued to the external case, and assume that in this situation you would either take measurements of existing ones before purchasing online if youā€™re looking for a perfect match (this place would be a good place to share your findings; weā€™re hoping to set up a wiki someday for this kind of knowledge, too), or you would just replace all the feet at once because they typically are sold in bundles of 6-10 pieces anyway.

1 Like

Yes, it would be very useful to know what the dimensions are for the screws that are in the librem laptops.

1 Like

For my Librem 13 v2, the screws holding the bottom of the case on are M2x8 (quantity 2) and M2x4 (quantity 10).

8 Likes

If i could have ā€œheartedā€ that info twice i would have. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a similar question some time ago (see Librem-13 spare parts).

BTW, we are still waiting for a wiki so that we could exchange important data such as technical details and list of spare parts.

That was a promise when I first received my purism13-v1.

Still waiting :frowning:

3 Likes

Not well advertised, nor have I spent too much time crawling through it see how regularly itā€™s updated, but there is a Wiki

https://tracker.pureos.net/w/

I found this one too, but it is focused on PureOS not on Purism librem in general. I do not see anything outside it.

I am thus not sure it is the best place to put things such as technical details on hardware for instance. I do not want to break or mess things.

2 Likes

Hmm, fair point. Given that itā€™s the only Wiki I know of, I think it would still be appropriate, but maybe thatā€™s a decision for the Purism team.

I really and strongly disagree. Rubber feet are no consumable at all and cannot be changed by any other rubber feet.

They play a major role in stability and in heat dissipation.

Now that 2 of my librem-13v1 rubber feet (one from the back and one from the front) are gone (they were loosely glued to the bottom of the laptop) the whole thing is almost unusable.

Replacing the missing back one by the last front one is not an option because it renders the laptop wobbly.

I was not able to find any good replacement (remember that back ones are thicker than front one) anywhere.

Anyone have got a link to some vendor of effective replacement for the librem13 specific box or else the precise specifications we were promised 2 years ago ?

Also will be there a wiki dedicated to puri.sm hardware as promised 2 years ago also ?

1 Like

Yes! Here it is:
https://wiki.puri.sm/hw

My theory: The aluminum cases come from Purismā€™s case supplier with the rubber feet already attached and glued, so Purism does not have a part number. Purism asked their supplier for details on how to get more of the same feet, and their supplier replied with the URL of their supplier and this URL points at a web site with no pictures and all text in Chinese.

If you donā€™t like my theory, please give a better explanation of why Purism has refused to answer this simple question for more than 2 years.

Yo, Purism: rubber feet supplier and part number please?

1 Like

Well, in this very thread, though it is an old reply, Purism staff members have stated that they do not have the part number for the rubber feet, and recommend buying any rubber feet you can find.

If stability/heat dissipation are a concern, thereā€™s probably a combination of feet found in this pack this pack that work:

Yep mine fell off too after about half a year, only one left now. I think the heat from the case weakens the glue. That said, if weā€™re to request this at a computer store or just find some random sticker of the same size my question is, is there a kind I can look for that will stay stuck (better glue?) or can be locked into place? since it appears that the hole each footā€™s post fits into narrows at one side. I have a work provided Macbook that still has its feet on. I think correcting this is important not only for the foregoing points about heat dissipation but also because the M2 drive is in a vulnerable position without a bit of elevation if anyone puts their Librem onto a table with unnoticed liquid. Thanks!

1 Like

Which is completely empty for librem13-v1 :frowning:

The nature of a wiki means that anyone can edit it. On the flip side, it is community maintained so if few people are interested, there will be almost no activity.
Here is a case of the latter, I am afraid. The Librem 13v1 is an early version of the laptop that is no longer being sold and probably not as numerous as the newer versions. Hence the lack of information.
Other Librem 13v1 owners might greatly appreciate it if you took the time to update the wiki.

No one can edit this wiki. If you can, please share how you got access!

It would be very good to know, if someone found a good replacement foot which sticks well. Thanks in advance.

All my rubber foots are gone too, makes it really uncomfortable to use on a table/desk as it just slips away.

Seems like a common problem that should have at least a replacement model number or something.

I believe support now has replacement rubber feet available ā€“ Iā€™d email them and ask

3 Likes