Librem 14 Charging Issue

The issue i’m having is how extremely slow the charging is… like all day to charge the battery while its off… I can’t use the machine to charge the battery… which… is difficult.

1 Like

I know what you talk about so on EC Firmware v1.5 you can see the improvement of charging even if the L14 it ON, but in that firmware version v1.5 there is a bug which the PCB burn and stop working suddenly so i guess that Purism tries to find out the origin of that failure to the point that in EC version 1.7 the charging is very slow but this is only for security to prevent the L14 permanent dying suddenly by a charging error.
You can use the L14 at any moment if DC is plug-in the only different is that that batteries not get charging not matter what percentage of battery it is. I guess that this slow battery charging could be change in the incoming ec version.

So wait this EC version 1.7 fixed the issue with the charger killing the laptop? Hence why the slow charging and times at when it can charge correct?

that is categorically false

I just try to unabstract to user. :wink:
Of course you the master.

May be fixed. But the think is that regular-user are bad experiment with the L14 like Adding a second SSD to Librem 14 then theys kill the L14 then later calling to Purism for a L14 PCB failed so this is not fair to Purism

Because the team reduced the energy entrace, so just budget to keep the L14 ON, not for charging battery on demand so that is why i guess the estimate time for charging is crazy. :rofl:
But nothing to stress to much with e.c v1.7 for extremly low charging, because when the L14 has fully charged you can uses all day then in the night time the L14 charged to full overnite.

To be honest i not using my L14 ATM not because I’m afraid to use it my L14, it’s because i uses the free software X200 computer too, so my L14 is saved for now.

So the battery charged up to 100% . When plugged in, started playing a 4k video and the battery percentage drops… that normal?

1 Like

Depends on how fast it drops.

of course, since the charger isn’t going to kick back on until the battery drops below a certain threshold (which is user configurable)

3 Likes

Of course that does not normal conduct. I not tested EC v1.7 and i am new user for L14 i do not know how the EC it programmed really to charge the battery. if @MrChromebox can explain us should be
nice.

Makes sense to me! Thank you!

SOLUTION: Updated the EC firmware to 1.7. Reset the power to the EC by unplugging all power including the battery from the motherboard. Adjusted the thresholds for charging to better config.

3 Likes

So after resetting the charging going up?

1 Like

Im going to be using the system a lot more and stressing out the laptop with my workflow. I’ll update the thread with the results.

2 Likes

But shouldn’t the charger supply power to the L14 without any power going to the battery?

2 Likes

depends on how the power delivery system is designed

3 Likes

e.c v1.5: The last 2 week i used my L14 to convert a movie from one format to another so L14 was like 2 hours of full cpu intensive use, i didn’t liked too that the L14 was quite hot and the fans at moderate speed, when the fans should have been at full speed to cooling down the machine. : (

i mean i code and run several VMs… laptops can run hot, but not to worried about that. These things are well built from what I’ve seen with internals so… plus CPUs can run 80-90c on laptops during heavy use.

1 Like

After updating to the latest EC firmware 1.9, the charging is not happening if left the charging wire is plugged in continuously. I need to keep track of whether it charges or not; if not, I need to plug out and plug in, again and again, to make sure it starts charging again. And it stops charging at some point again where I need to repeat the process. And I have to admit that it’s a heavily slow charging process…

I think I experienced same issue when charging over DC jack, but not over USB-C. The charging led was orange, the % of charge was not raising and the laptop made some noise.

I have EC firmware 1.9 and QubesOS. I’ve set charging thresholds.

@nicole.faerber is it some known issue or should I try to investigate it further?

2 Likes