New Librem 14 will not power on

Same thing here. Brand new Librem 14 ordered in March. Died after a week, nothing would charge it. I returned it to be ‘fixed’ (was without a laptop for three weeks between 2-way shipping and repair time). Got the ‘repaired’ laptop 3 weeks ago and today it’s dead again, same problem – neither the original charger that shipped with it nor the additional adapter that I bought separately (direct from Purism) will charge it, and I have a $1500 brick. Unfortunately I’m not up for a third try so hoping to return for a refund.

As per my post regarding my quandary about buying a V14. These posts are incredibly concerning.

Is there a bad batch of these or what?

Any news from the OP about his problem?

1 Like

This is ridiculous. Anyone buying a L14 up to this point is completely out of touch with reality, or has lots of money to gamble.

New customers receive refurbished, defective devices that have to be sent back again, in an endless cycle of nonsense and time/money wasted.

1 Like

Speaking of, there’s been a discussion that there’s a known EC issue.

Remember what EC version when the L14 death.

Too vague. There have been lots of discussions. Vagueposting doesn’t help.

1. Does Purism know that the “Librem 14 will not power on” is an EC issue or do they just suspect it? Do you have a reference for that?

2. Clearly Purism haven’t fixed it yet (or the person, above, whose “replacement”/“fixed” laptop wouldn’t be broken). Thus I find it difficult for Purism to know for certain what the issue is.

3. MrChromebox is the EC guy and he hasn’t confirmed such an issue. In fact he said: Librem 14 Charging Issue in response to BS speculation.

4. Nicole addressed an EC issue for coil whine Librem 14 Charging Issue, but not this issue.

3 Likes

The charging issue I had with my machine was resolved with a firmware update (1.7) and resetting the EC. To reset the EC I unplugged all power to the machine and disconnected the battery for 30mins. I then was able to set the thresholds for charging and the machine is working with no problems. Been working heavily for the past week and haven’t had any issues with the machine.

//I was working with a support rep on this issue and he was very fast with troubleshooting tips.

I had a similar issue with my first machine not being able to power on and had to send in the unit to be replaced.

2 Likes

Hmm, so EC firmware version 1.7 is now available?? Is it recommended for us to upgrade to that version?

Yes it is. I would highly recommend it. Fixed a lot of my issues.

I may have further use for my chip programmer yet!

As far i know turning off the laptop without charging it resetting the e.c chipset too.

Not need an external programer to upgrade the e.c version.

The battery still plugged in was pulling some power… disconnecting the battery helped complete the reset. Got things to work on my computer.

I have EC 1.7 on my L14 then i not reseted like unpluging the battery to PCB but it work like @nicole.faerber it say how the 1.7 will work, like if charging and laptop is on a moderate use it the porcentage of charging does not going up, even may going down.
I not sure if unpluging the battery to p.c.b his behavior is different

Did you adjust the charging thresholds?

I know I don’t need the chip programmer, but I have one just in case. It came in handy on one of my failed laptops during troubleshooting.

I do not know how to do that.

OK.
It is a good idea to have an external programmer just in case.

Just an update, it’s now been 8 days since this laptop broke for the second time with the exact same issue, and Purism is saying they will not give me a refund – only a warranty repair. I’m really not interested in a third round at a warranty repair, I paid for this laptop 8 weeks ago and it’s been functional for only 3 of those weeks – it’s spent all the rest of the time either dead or in transit back and forth for warranty repair. Just a heads up to anybody considering sinking close to $2k into a laptop with a known defect, if you’re unlucky enough to get a defective machine you’re apparently stuck with it :upside_down_face:

1 Like

You might as well try and let them fix it again, seeing as you’ve got nothing to lose at this point.

It sounds like a good situation for a credit card chargeback to me (if possible).

Just wanted to update everyone that so far, it seems like a third time has been a charm. No power issues in the almost 2 months I’ve had my replacement.