Librem 14 "Road warrior" deliveries when?

I understand this, at the same time it is a business and problems are not limited to mon-fri 9-5 nor customers concerns. I am just looking for 3 550 USD, Plus cross atlantic/EU import tax fee’s worth of reassurance…

I do not understand why they absolutely want to respect the parity of shipments when it is quite normal that those who have ordered for a very long time receive their computers before those who ordered them recently.

2 Likes

The major concern is that it has slipped through Purism’s QC. While I’m waitng for the results of the investigation and giving the benefit of the doubt to Purism, I’m still paranoid about it. What’s the point of anti-interdiction if it has slipped through QC?

Hopefully it’s just a hotfix and not an attempt from a threat actor or similar :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Purism doesn’t have that kind of power with its suppliers. When you are ordering a custom batch of a couple thousand laptops per year, you have a very different kind of relationship with an ODM than a company like Dell or Lenovo, and it isn’t easy to find a good ODM who is willing to work with you.

There are only two companies in the world who make custom Linux x86 laptops (Star Labs and Purism), whereas there are roughly a dozen Linux laptop sellers in the world who sell Clevo models, because it isn’t easy to make the economics of custom manufacturing work.

I used to work in a company that made small scale custom hardware and I can tell you that these sorts of things happen when getting the first batch of custom hardware.

5 Likes

For me , personally, that it can and does happen is not odd or worrying. Totally understand that part. I am worried though that i’ll get one of these oddly (poorly) modified laptops. I know they are under great pressure, so im worried more will slip through or that they will determine it “does not affect longevity” and ship the wonky ones as is.

1 Like

This should make it clear that nothing is poor here:

3 Likes

did you see the customer picture? i am not re-assured if thats what future deliveries are gonna look like. :confused:

1 Like

If you mistrust Purism’s declarations about the quality of the products, I don’t think I know any way to reassure you.

2 Likes

again,have you viewed the picture in question? the soldering looks like it was done by child labour.
its concerning that anyone at purism would think it acceptable? You can look at the librem in pictures thread, its not just me…

If you dont have an answer,on the laptop,as a phone developer,perhaps its better to not rile up a customer even more? unless you want a very large refund request from me.

2 Likes

What would reassure you?

knowing i wont have to open up my laptop to see wether or not its the wonky batch. How many units affected. What will be done about it? Nicole gave a reply but it raised a lot of questions too. At this point, i dont know either… i have to wait for more information but if nobody brings up or is allowed to bring up issues, there will be no impetus to adress them.

In short; more answers and information,which im sure will come ín time, and from there i can make up my mind. It’s also a bit uncanny that as soon as one expresses concern, the expression of concern becomes the main concern by some members.

5 Likes

True there are certain fanboys on this forum that always defend Purism no matter what.

But since obviously Purism was aware of this issue for a while now, (except Kyle, who is obviously on a doesn’t need to know list) there’s no reason why we can’t all the answers today about all these questions, IF purism is willing.

2 Likes

Even if I fully trust that the L14 is fully functioning without any problems, and that soldering will 100% not affect the unit in anyway, I expect, as a customer who paid $1300 for the laptop, to get a quality laptop.

Idk if I can find someone who paid that amount of money to be genuinely happy regarding the soldering job.

2 Likes

3500USD for me, plus EU import fees, i need to know before it ships…that that…thing,we saw, wont be what i find if i open my laptop. I dont even want to have the thought now that i will either have to refund or open the laptop and hope i got the good batch so to speak.

Thats what the last post in the "Librem 14 in pictures thread " says.
This is NOT resolved,and if this is what counts for resolved, i will be refunding in full once that feature is enabled.

5 Likes

Looking like purism is doing the “sweep it under the rug, nothing to see here” solution…

7 Likes

Par for the course I’m afraid.

I hope this isn’t the case since I spent $3700 between the phone and laptop. I really want this to work because I don’t see many options for a secure laptop and phone. And even though I have a system 76 laptop (Serval WS), I’m not satisfied with the security features of it. Whole reason I gave that much money to Purism.

4 Likes

Right there with you man, got the phone and the laptop for the same reasons as you have stated. I’m not getting any warm fuzzies.

3 Likes

I’m just curious, what do you mean by “quality” if not fully functioning and not affected in any way? (Apart from the fact that the way I understand it explained here, the fix affects the device positively by improving compliance.)

1 Like