Librem 14 "Road warrior" deliveries when?

Interference with your other electronic equipment and that of others.

I just want to chime in to counter balance all the hate we see in here. Yes, L14 is late as F. Yes thereā€™s been some miscommunications or poorly handled communications. Yes there is a pandemic and components shortage. But comparing Purism to Apple or Dell is just ridiculous. I do like having actual engineers talking. I prefer that organic communication rather than polished BS. Itā€™s way more authentic and true.

Now that fix. Nicole explained. It makes sense. Thereā€™s no conspiracy like some people in these forums would to love to see.

Is it a beautiful fix? Probably not. But Iā€™ve made way worse soldering jobs myself and never had issue with matter suddenly disapearing in some random black hole made by the Chinese government in CERNā€¦

I want this laptop. Itā€™s a beautiful machine. There is no equivalent anywhere. Sure I would have preferred getting it sooner without it needing a EM compliance hardware patch.

But thatā€™s what it is. Iā€™ll live with it. If you canā€™t, ask for a refund and move on. We donā€™t need to have haters sticking in the forums trashing absolutely everything Purism does. We donā€™t need them to ā€œsaveā€ us.

I would like to thank all the team for all the efforts they clearly put into making this laptop a reality, going through random shitstorm after random shitstorm. Seriously guys, if you are that much outraged by Purism, get a life because it seems yours sucks.

10 Likes

Doesnā€™t Purism do this themselves?

Perception is everything as a startup and small company. Hire a PR person.

4 Likes

Iā€™m talking about comparing what Purism can achieve vs the weight of Apple and Dell. Not their products. You completely miss the point.

1 Like

You realize you are causing way more harm than any concerned customer or ā€œhaterā€ as you put it.
This is not a cult,its a company,it has customers,customers have questions and concerns. It is valid and reasonable,and when it is feflt that it is dismissed,mocked or disregardedā€¦it becomes reasonable to act unreasonable,because it is just not acceptable by any company. Companies that compared to purism are small fry would not be immune from questions or concerns,nor purism.

They/we/I are met with contempt like yours. You are the hater,and you are cultish. You realize i put an enormous ammount of money on the line and got others on board and now im the idiot in their eyes,as they too put in money.

Thanks for your vitriol, reverse uno,keep it.

No longer so sincere,
Jon Kovach.

2 Likes

And youā€™ve missed my point. Whether you like it or not, when you start comparing yourself to another company, in any fashion, people are going to start doing it too.

3 Likes

Donā€™t worry, I know everything about ā€œpeople just asking questionsā€. And me a ā€œcultistā€ā€¦ let me have a little laugh, would you?

Your post reads like an evangelical love letter, while blanket name calling us as haters. Incase you missed it, i have defended purism, sold others on it including with their wallets and my own and it was only when i saw that soldering pic that i had questions. I didnt bring the hate.
Why are you?

Edit: i will not dignify you with any further responses, you profile is hidden and you already know everything. I will not take your bait and turn this into a ā€œmonkeys flinging shitiā€ at each other because then purism would HAVE to close the thread, which many would intterpret as then having been done for reasons other than the vitriol and personal attacks i think you wish to stir up so you canā€¦i dont know, you tell us, you know everything.

I cannot be cordial with you,so i will disregard you. Besides,none of mine or others questions are directed at you, and concern is not to be confused with hate nor should it be met with such contempt.

1 Like

Ok dude. Good for you.

Apple keeps coming up. Iā€™m not sure how many people here remember the iPhone 4 Antenna issue, which was an actual problem with functionality - signal degradation if you held the phone, well, naturally.

Appleā€™s first response - hold the phone differently.
Appleā€™s second response - free cases.

It sounds like the Librem 14 is going to work just fine with the hotfix (and without it, for that matter). And Kyle said Purism would give another year warrantee on anything that goes wrong because of the hotfix.

Iā€™m good with that, and looking forward to the Librem 14.

1 Like

While this is:

popcorn

back to the opā€¦

Has anybody else received their L14, or received emails about shipping? Especially those who pre-ordered in 2020?

6 Likes

I recall seeing three instances

Edit 4/29/21

5 Likes

However, not sure whether their configuration is set to ship in this batch or if they received/replied to the address confirmation.

So weā€™ve got July 2nd and 3rd orders shipped, and maybe nothing past/including July 5th so far? July 20th (mine) feels so far away :sweat_smile: :pensive:

1 Like

Yep, thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been seeing so far as well. I also feel your pain having ordered in mid-July :pensive:

Note: I have no evidence of this but this is my opinion on a likely situation.

I am under the impression that given all the drama that has been drummed up over the past few weeks/days that they are taking extra precaution to ā€œpretty upā€ these fixes before sending them out so they can at least claim that these fixes are up to standard or something.

As such this might result in a delay on yet to be fulfilled deliveries.

I feel like that might be the case as well. It would be nice to hear from Purism if indeed that is truly whatā€™s going on. I could repeat what has already been said ad nauseum, but I digress.

Three postings still feels a bit light. Hopefully that just means people are happily exploring their L14sā€¦

While it is unfortunate about the delays (thank you for the updates @Kyle_Rankin) , I donā€™t think this thread is serving any purpose other than shooting the messenger and voicing more negativity and misinformation at this point.

That being said, maybe itā€™s time to close the thread @Kyle_Rankin. Itā€™s probably about time for a new blog post anyways?

2 Likes

Ha, real cute @jr3214

I generally feel differently about community started threads, but maybe yes at this point.

DĆ©jĆ  vuā€¦

Personally, I wouldnā€™t mind keeping the thread open at least for people to post when they are getting shipping notifications.

Iā€™ve seen other product delivery situations where people setup an open spreadsheet for customers to submit their product delivery status. Though this community Iā€™m guessing would be averse to something like Google docs, so this thread might be the best weā€™ve got for now.

Of course this could be alleviated if Purism posted / updated latest shipping by order date info somewhere on a daily basis, but of course they donā€™t have to, so crowd-sourcing will have to do.

1 Like

I get the your idea an concern as well as @dpr regarding the components getting lose and causing other faults within the Laptop. I donā€™t think that is likely to happen.
Iā€™ve created worse solder joints and they still seem to work 10 years later.
In my opinion the most common failure mode of those capacitors is a crack within developing due to thermal stress, which would lead to a reduced capacitance or an open circuit. In this case voiding the fix.
Unfortunately your Idea of fixing them with resin might not work as expected and cause shear forces within the solder joints them self due to different thermal expansion coefficients between the resin and the solder/capacitors.

2 Likes