Librem 14 - USB C charging

How does the USB C charging work? I kind of just figured it would be like charging my phone and just plugging in a USB C cable into the right port. I know only one of the USB C ports supports power delivery and the other is just for data. But which is which? I don’t see any labeling on the laptop for either and they look identical. So I just tested plugging in my charging cable into both ports and neither triggered the battery icon to update to indicate that it’s charging.

I notice in the tech specs page for the Librem 14 it states " 1 Port (supports Power Delivery sink for charging the laptop / Display Port alt mode, video output up to 4k @ 60Hz)". Is there some toggle to switch between power delivery and using it as a display port or is that automatic?

its the port on the right side of the laptop. The power delivery source needs to be able to negotiate and provide enough power for the laptop. I don’t think your standard phone charger would be able to provide enough power.

Ahh, yeah I was wanting to use my solar backpack battery to charge my laptop and it does seem to work if I use the correct port on the battery.

Ha :slight_smile:
A solar panel would be great, indeed!

But type-C so called “Power Delivery” (PD) is not as simple as former USB charging where the source just provided 5V DC and was done with it - eat or die. PD is very complex and like it was already mentioned here requires the source and the sink to negotiate the terms, the negotiate a so called “contract”, where the source tells the sink which different voltage levels it can provide and also at which rate (current). Then the sink, in this case the laptop, picks one that suits best and confirms this back to the source. If both are happy, current flows.

In the case of the Librem14 the source needs to be able to provide at least 19V voltage, else it will not work at all. The current should total up to about at least 40W to 50W as a minimum, the DC charger that comes with the laptop provides 65W and the battery charger and power consumption control is tuned for 65W, so I would recommend a type-C source with 60W or more.

Cheers
nicole

6 Likes

Could I use a power brick from the Mac Book Pro that I charge via USB3?

as above, you need a USB-PD charger which can supply 3A @ 20v minimum. If your MBP charger meets that, then yes. If it’s below that, it may charge, just less quickly.

Well, I tried it and my Mac Book Pro USB C chargers works with my Librem 14!

1 Like

Caveat on USB C charging. If I leave it plugged in and sleeping with USB C charging, I can’t get it to wake up and so I end up rebooting it.

have not seen/heard of this before, will have to investigate