Librem 5 camera

That seems to have done the trick (!) but … just curious but I would have thought that having a significantly incorrect date (past or future) will definitely cause a certificate problem but an error of some hours on the time shouldn’t matter either way??

Having said that, I can’t tell whether @j8m2p6f had a wildly incorrect date or it was only the time that was wrong.

My experience is that time being off by a matter of minutes (as little as 5-10 minutes of inaccuracy) is in fact a problem for certificate and other security solutions. Some applications are more forgiving than others, but time is a very important and sensitive thing.

1 Like

The date was correct but the time was off by appx 2 hrs.

2 Likes

Kerberos, I think. TOTP, definitely. I should have made clear that the scope of my question was only about TLS and its use of certificates.

I’m wondering whether the problem is revocation - as revocation may operate on much shorter timeframes than the underlying certificates.

1 Like

I could have been more clear as well.

The reference to other security solutions was intended to convey that TLS certificates aren’t the only place I have seen this behavior.

I have seen different implementations for TLS that have resulted in varying amounts of time before there is a performance issue. Whether that’s from multiple interpretations of the standard or just not properly implementing the standard intentionally is a whole other conversation :slight_smile:

1 Like

back in the old times when I often ended up with the battery flat and the clock set to year 2155 on my Birch unit, I got away with just fixing the year. But yeah, there’s no telling how accurate the clock should be, it depends on the certificate.

1 Like

I was about to install Megapixels (haven’t had it for along while) and… it wants to remove most of gnome and take linux images too. I kinda think I might need those. So just to check: this can’t be right, can it?

It’s millipixels. The next version of millipixels will provide an empty transitional package to get rid of this old broken one (and in the future PureOS version it will likely provide the upstream Megapixels instead, which this old package is kinda impersonating as it was heavily patched beyond recognition anyway :stuck_out_tongue: )

5 Likes

Apparently I haven’t been attentive… It seems I still have an old installation of millipixels (0.17 - it hasn’t updated in a while). It seemed odd that some of the screen caps looked different but always thought it was some separate branch and all the advancements were happening under the hood - while I was still using the same old version. Do’h :man_facepalming:

When is the main/stable version updating? Or is there something wrong with my updates?

Which version do you mean? There’s megapixels which we no longer use, and millipixels which has succeeded it for L5.

Millipixels. The earlier was just a typo (based on that a camera app starts from console with that). I’m thinking I may have had some earlier test version and now can’t get the current but it’s been so long I’m not sure if I ever did that or what. Now I’ve got the point where dpkg says it’s 0.20.0-1pureos1. Desktop icon says Camera (Dev P…[disappears from view] and has a different icon (lens with bottom half striped) from some of the screen caps. Just the normal amount of confusion for the morning.

I have the exact same version, I believe some people in this chat manually updated their app with a newer beta version which is not yet available via the standard system update process.

1 Like

You can download the dev version here : Camera (Dev Preview) app crashing
then extract and install the .deb file.
I did it and it works well.

1 Like

I looking HW ABERRATION on image in the L5 Evergreen camera, so Purism please, please, please add a Sony G-Lens to Librem 5 Fir to fix it. @francois-techene

1 Like

I believe that most aberrations can be addressed with image post processing. You may check this web page from @dos : Croatia through Librem 5's eye - dos@dosowisko.net:~#

Those are beautiful pictures taken with a Librem 5.

3 Likes

Well it can be virtually fixed by software, but real solution it is by a fancy Lens like: Sony G-Lens for Mobile.

Thanks for reply.