Librem 5 camera

i have a question about camera

do you already know the camera resolution/fps, and do you think is possible to have an hardware stabilizer?

4 Likes

Linking my reply from a very similar thread.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply i will hope for something better than 5MP

2 Likes

if the phone has a minimum capability of snaping pictures at 2048 x 2048 px then i’m game.

this is because no matter what the aspect ratio you end up selecting most people have/or need 1920x1080 px resolution on their devices. then you can crop without suffering too much.

what i’m more interested is the actual quality of the pictures like will it be able to snap hdrs or will it have the option to take burst photos at different exposure steps and merge them into hdr formats. or will we have to do this manually. will there be panorama options. what will the low-light capabilities be? what will the minimum/maximum exposure settings look like ? etc.

1 Like

https://puri.sm/posts/librem5-progress-report-17/
use page-down key to reach the end quickly and see the hardware specs

Please be warned that that is only the camera for the dev board. The camera on the final phone could be different.

Phone camera is advertised as working upon initial shipment on the sales site. But it is still not working as it ships now right?

1 Like

The cameras still are supported in the kernel. To follow the progress, see the bug reports. You can find links to the bug reports in the FAQ: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Frequently-Asked-Questions#27-how-good-will-the-librem-5-cameras-be

Thanks for the info

That bug reports are quite depressing. It looks like a lot of guess work is going on… I feel bad for the developers…

1 Like

There’s nothing there about getting the camera to work? Just “How good will it be?”

See this other thread: Camera development progress

Thread doesn’t say how to get it working( support links offer nothing) then goes into GPS issue.
What can I sudo/load/update/install/etc that will get the camera working?

If you have PureOS Byzantium then it should work, just open the camera app, which is called “Megapixels”, and start taking photos. Is it not working for you?

I’m on Amber

I downloaded Byzantium and just wrote it to a USB flash stick.
Will try and figure out how to load it to the phone a bit later after I get done running errands.

The camera works on amber. The app (Megapixels) isn’t installed by default, so you’ll have to install it yourself.

Here’s a basic tutorial for how to use it:

(I see that you participated in that thread yourself, so maybe I don’t understand the issue you’re bringing up here…?)

I couldn’t get megapixels to install . Either thru terminal or pureos store. I’m not very Linux tech
I didn’t have the phone back then

I don’t remember exactly how I installed it. It must have been via the terminal, as it’s not found when I search in the Store app.

When I do an apt search megapixels in the terminal, it’s found (for me) on amber.

Didn’t purism rename megapixels to minipixels for some patch reason? I remember something like this from an earlier post on this forum.

1 Like