Librem 5 hubs / docks

Having a new L5 I immediately tried to hook it up a screen via my HP USB-C Dock G5 and … nothing.

• When connected to the USB-C dock, the L5 starts charging and led turns red
  • lsusb output is equal with or without USB-C connection, not showing the dock
  • In settings / display the extra screen does not show up
  • Top info icon “undocked” shows no change: still greyed out

I found this page: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Tested-Accessories#hubs

My questions:

• did anyone else try a HP USB-C Dock G5?
  • for the other docks: did everything magically work automatically when connecting, or is some kind of scripting or driver installation required?

The wiki is pretty great, but it would help me to see a bit more in detail what people did to make it work and understand current limitations / requirements to docks. Many thanks,

Roeland

edit 20211014: aditional info

HP USB-C Dock G5 is connected to

• logitech wired keyboard
  • logitech mouse wireless USB-dongle
  • displayport cable to Monitor Dell U2713HM
  • ethernet cable
  • power
    all proven to work with windows laptop

Specs HP USB-C Dock G5
Hostinterface USB 3.2 (Gen1, 5Gb/s) type-c
Connections 3.5mm (4-pin), DC connector, 2x DisplayPort, HDMI 2.0, RJ45,
4x USB 3.2 (Gen1, 5Gb/s), 2x USB 3.2 (Gen1, 5Gb/s) type-c
Ethernet (RJ45) Ethernet 1Gbps, Ethernet 100Mbps
Video out 2x DisplayPort, HDMI (max version HDMI 2.0)

1 Like

i couldn’t get mine to work either

I don’t know the answer to your question but, given that not everyone will have ready access to any given dock, it may help to mention how the monitor is connected to the dock (e.g. HDMI v. DP v. USB-C altmode passthrough) and what else was connected to the dock. (The bare minimum is to provide a product link for your dock.)

If you want to spend some time troubleshooting then lsusb on the phone may show how the dock is presenting itself to the phone.

Does “nothing” mean that nothing appeared on the screen or USB keyboard and/or mouse connected to the dock were not recognised or both?

You would want to check the video requirements e.g. 4K UHD @ 60 Hz may simply not work but in any case for some video settings to work would require support in all three of: phone, dock, monitor.

Where was power coming from and going to? (Given that the Librem 5 doesn’t have a massive amount of juice to spare, a dock that has its own power input and hence that is self-powered and hence that could even deliver power to the Librem 5 could be desirable.)

Some docks can be confusing if they have multiple USB-C ports as to whether “all USB-C ports are created equal” or you must connect up in a certain way.

I would assume, in the absence of other information, that the answer is “nothing”. It worked out-of-the-box. Unless the notes say otherwise.

2 Likes

I don’t have my L5 yet (I pre-ordered 3rd qtr '18) but I’ve been using a NexDock360 with my RPi4b8gb and PPbeta2021 and RPi4 works superbly, but the PP still has software work that needs to be done (or maybe my cabling is not right). Cables/connectors have to be wired right, I’m not an expert but I grew up in the age of 70’s where one had to get the connectors and solder the wires between connectors on both ends of the cables between devices according to the pin outs, and today it may be easy to get the cables but there are MANY standards and it has to be the right standard for the cable to work. My experience is that sometimes, much of the times seems to me, that the needed info (or correct info) is not noted. So I have a multitude of cables in my spaghetti collection that I try out to get things to work. Note here that as of late that I’ve gotten lazy, or maybe just run out of flux, and just been a collector of cables/connectors/adapters to get a multitude of devices to work together. Or not :wink:

1 Like

I don’t have my L5 yet (I pre-ordered 3rd qtr '18) but I’ve been using a NexDock360 with my RPi4b8gb and PPbeta2021 and RPi4 works superbly, but the PP still has software work that needs to be done (or maybe my cabling is not right). Cables/connectors have to be wired right, I’m not an expert but I grew up in the age of 70’s where one had to get the connectors and solder the wires between connectors on both ends of the cables between devices according to the pin outs, and today it may be easy to get the cables but there are MANY standards and it has to be the right standard for the cable to work. My experience is that sometimes, much of the times seems to me, that the needed info (or correct info) is not noted. So I have a multitude of cables in my spaghetti collection that I try out to get things to work. Note here that as of late that I’ve gotten lazy, or maybe just run out of flux, and just been a collector of cables/connectors/adapters to get a multitude of devices to work together. Or not :wink:

1 Like

With me there are 2 docks without configuration including display via HDMI. Now none of the docks can display via HDMI anymore. Convergence is a beauty memory for me at the moment.

thanks - I updated the information as per your suggestion

As to the wiki tested accessories, the tested accessories shows fairly minimal information on what to test, or what response to expect. I will give matrix group a go. If someone knows another site that captures this type of information, please let me know.

This Lemorele hub works well with the L5, is PD compatible and charges the L5, all while connected to a keyboard, mouse, display, and ethernet. I’m very pleased with it so far. (I haven’t tried mounting SD cards with it yet). I think that all I now need is a 3D printed stand that positions the L5 in an upright position.

7 Likes

What are you powering the hub with? The supplied charger? Or something else?

I use this, using its USB-A output, which is rated at 15W. I haven’t tried using the stock charger that came with the L5, but I will try that next.

3 Likes

That’s why I asked - because the supplied charger provides nowhere near enough power for that dock if all of the peripherals are drawing the maximum. (I would say that that dock is designed for a laptop.) And you would need to be using the charger’s USB-C output.

Of course your actual power draw in the configuration shown (mouse, keyboard, HDMI, ethernet, Librem 5) will be well below the maximum for that dock.

1 Like

The L5 was charging, albeit slowly. I suppose the upper 45W USB-C port would be preferable for this application (something else to try, but I need to find a long USB-C cable now…)

2 Likes

I have just bought the Digitus 7-port Docking Station and tried it with my NexDock 360. Charging works through the USB-C port, but not the DisplayPort. Specs says I need DisplayPort Alternate Mode and USB Power Delivery to use the full features of this docking station.

The L5 supports DP-Alt Mode according to the wiki, so what could be the problem here?

1 Like

In my experience the NexDock 360 is very picky about the signal. I couldn’t get it to show a picture with e.g. my Pinephone which works using a dock perfectly. For my L5 (connected through a Baseus usb-c) I exchanged the common (cheap) hdmi cable running from the dock to the N360s HDMI micro by a Lindey cable to get it working reliably. This problem also didn’t show when connected to an external display.

Did you try a different display than the N360s?

2 Likes

I tried today a ThinkPad docking station for notebooks with Librem 5.
The keyboard, the mouse and the charging work.
But I don’t get any signal to the monitor.
I have connected the monitor to the docking station via HDMI. Any ideas on what could I try? Or do you think that it would simply not work.

I do not know for sure but suppose it might be the truth, even with the any other Linux distribution. Especially if output there, from lsusb, confirming: ID 17ef:1010 Lenovo Lenovo ThinkPad Dock, good and clever solution for your Librem 5 might easily be to just give up on using 17ef:1010 device for the intended purpose:

1 Like

and complies with USB-C™ 3.1 (Gen 1) specifications.” Therefore you and @janvlug should, please, follow kind advice from @ChriChri (use HDMI cable and HDMI ports on your N360/DA-70882 combo):

As pictured: https://forums.puri.sm/uploads/default/original/2X/0/007cd4e58c4aebf312c9e1293734a71efd46053f.jpeg

P.S. In addition, recommended power supply would hit 100% if used one from this category: https://www.shop-fsp.de/FSP065-A1BR3-with-connector-type-USB-C-5/9/15/20-VDC-65-W, but original Librem 5 power supply should negotiate PD toward DA-70882 docking station that I’m not familiar with, yet my advice is intended to be in general anyway, direction on how to connect things/achieve …, and in respect toward above useful, kindly shared solution.

This is exactly what I am using, an HDMI cable. I also tried (for answering here) a cable that I have with at one end and HMDI, and at the other end a Display Port connector. Using this cable with the Digitus DA-70882 did not make the display work.

I use the DA-70882 both with the original L5 USB cable and charger and a USB (I guess power only) thin cable with a USB power outlet integrated in a power extension cord. With both setups the L5 charges. Note however, if the L5 is very empty (like that it shut down because of lack of power), it cannot be charged any more via the DA-70882 docking station. It has to be connected directly to the USB cable until it has some charge (I do not exactly how much, but the L5 should stay awake when disconnected from the USB cable). After that I can continue charging on the DA-70882.

Although this post is more than a year old i just wanted to add my experience with the same HP G5 Dock. I tested it with my Librem 5 like a year ago and like in your case it is not working. I opend the shell on the Librem 5 and had a look at the output of dmesg and it said something like the dock is providing too much power.

1 Like