Librem 5 media (photos and videos)

The Mali one is in the…pinephone?

Yes  

I love the fact that the LG always does good reviews, but this for the L5 is not great.

What Purism has done, and what they are doing is amazing, and it is hugely appreciated.

But at this stage, there are no independent reviews of calls working 100%, ( people typing "hey my calls work fine is not proof sadly) and there still seems to be a lot of issues.

I really hope someone in Purism marketing actually releases videos and proof that calls work 100% fine, among other things.

Also rather than giving a chart of bandwidths that the L5 should work with, why not do a country by country list and give the providers name rather than the bandwidth, such as Vodafone, 3, and so on, this will make people feel more confident in buying the finished product.

Will you ask about phone call every week?
There was a phone call video on the devkit 18 month ago and some video on prototype batches for a year now.

What’s the point of independent review on this topic? It can just become better with time now, except for a few temporary regressions that will not be pushed into stable repositories once Evergreen is released.

7 Likes

how do you know this won’t be the case once the Evergreen batch starts mass-shipment ? either way by Fir this will for sure become a reality … you can contribute to this wish yourself …

5 Likes

I do not think Torrone that a video showing a phonecall from the CEO of Purism is independent do you? Until an independent person shows and proves that calls work 100% correctly, then we only have peoples word to go on don’t we?

Yes I will continue to ask the same questions until a legitimate answer is provided and proved.

While what Purism are doing is amazing, I do not think people will pay for a phone in which one of the most basic features can not yet be 100% established do you?

Have you seen any other phones on the market which state" we are not sure this can make calls, maybe, but we are not totally sure yet"?

“What’s the point of independent review on this topic?”

When the man from Ford the car company sells you a car and tells you it is amazing, do you believe his word 100% or do you look for someone to give an opinion who does not work for Ford?

1 Like

No one says otherwise.
But do you think they use special effects in all their videos? That Purism makes fake?
Why doubt the call function in particular and not about everything else?

Can’t you see it’s useless?
The general public won’t get the phone until next December at the earliest.
You are asking for something impossible. Only a few prototypes exist at this stage.
Even if someone else posts a video of a call with the prototype, it doesn’t prove that he wasn’t paid by Purism or that the final model will have the same functionality if we follow your conspiracy logic.

We are SURE that we can make calls with the Librem 5 since early 2019!

7 Likes

If the man from Ford shows me a video of the car going from 0-60mph in 4.5 seconds, there’s no reason to doubt that when I try the same thing, I’ll get the same result. Though you complain about not having proof of the most basic expected functionality of the L5, so it would be more like seeing a video of the car being driven. Your demand isn’t rational, its just stubborn.

8 Likes

The MakeUseOf review shows calls working. Then if you don’t want to call that “100%”, I don’t know, it’s up to you of course to define your 100% but for me, speaker mode is just one of many nice-to-have additions you can have on top of phonecalls. Adjusting the volume while talking, also nice to have. If you read that review you will see that it’s quite critical of the Librem 5 over all but phonecalls is not something the reviewer is particularly unhappy about. On the contrary, the fact that phone calls are working is lifted up as something positive.

6 Likes

If Ford starts selling cars that can’t be driven tomorrow morning, they’ll be out of business tomorrow night.
This is absurd.

2 Likes

Suppose for a minute that Purism faked their videos about phone calls on the Librem 5. If they were the type of company to do that, what would stop them from creating various channels posing as recipients of development batches and “proving” phone calls work? Seeing someone on the internet post a video, if you don’t trust video evidence, is still just taking someone’s word for it.

6 Likes

“calls work” is dependent on country and mobile network operator, and location within country.

So, for starters, what country are you asking about?

Purism probably doesn’t have the resources to test every mobile network operator in every country of the circa 200 countries in the world. (It would be a nice Hamiltonian junket for someone though.) However there are plans for the community to report successes (and failures) in this forum.

That will mean though that you will have to be patient as Purism sends out thousands of phones to all corners of the world - and then for customers to report back. Realistically, that information may not be even near complete until about May next year.

2 Likes

Hi guys, just a quick one: is Librem 5 delivered to any common customer, that is not a reviewer/blogger/influencer/politician/actor/king/princess? I’m just curious, because I was a backer and I’ve pulled off for an issue with the network in Australia… Cheers

1 Like

Yes, the Pine Phone PostMarket OS CE. Funny thing that – I bought that one knowing it, just like I did the Librem 5.

6 Likes

a fun travel-the-world side-project for members of the community then :sweat_smile: … oh wait :mask:

4 Likes

Testing the Librem 5 would count as compassionate grounds in order to get a visa in these days of COVID, wouldn’t it? :joy:

4 Likes

hi kieran I was asking about the UK.

very good question deedend, I am not aware of anyone who has done any reviews that is not a employee, reviewer, blogger or influencer and so on?

Whats the issue in Australia?

1 Like

as soon as they hear that the motive for travel is to test the L5 they BAN you immediately … if it was for some other phone then we might have a different conversation … :upside_down_face: :grimacing: :rofl: :shushing_face: what ?

2 Likes

Unfortunately the Librem 5 modem (well, at least one year ago when the batches were announced) isn’t fully compatible with the Australian network, so I had to cancel my pledge (and I got a full refund). I bought a Pinephone instead, it has a modem that include all the required bands for Australia and Europe.

Maybe the modem issue was a good thing after all, I would have been still waiting for my phone at this stage!